Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My Altimax experience.

I got in from a two day trip on my 2015 RT this evening and during my after ride check up I noticed my General Altimax was showing the REPLACE TIRE tread marker to me. This tire has a few miles over 20,000 on it and will be replaced with another Altimax this week. I ride two up 95% of the time, we ride the twisty roads of SE Ohio and West Virginia often, and my traction control warning light has been on so much I think it burned out. I think 20,000 miles on a tire that works very well and was used very hard is pretty darn good. When you factor in I paid under $90 for it that makes the deal even better. I picked up another Altimax also under $90 and I will install it myself.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear...

Why change a good thing. looks like you have a good tire for your kind of ryding...change and enjoy..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I got in from a two day trip on my 2015 RT this evening and during my after ride check up I noticed my General Altimax was showing the REPLACE TIRE tread marker to me. This tire has a few miles over 20,000 on it and will be replaced with another Altimax this week. I ride two up 95% of the time, we ride the twisty roads of SE Ohio and West Virginia often, and my traction control warning light has been on so much I think it burned out. I think 20,000 miles on a tire that works very well and was used very hard is pretty darn good. When you factor in I paid under $90 for it that makes the deal even better. I picked up another Altimax also under $90 and I will install it myself.
    It's nice to here positive comments about a tire I originally recommended here on this Forum ( a few years ago )….. currently I think the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is a better tire ( tires are evolving all the time ) , but the Altimax RT is still a great tire ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice to see someone not so concerned with getting a gazillion miles from a tyre, and instead more focused on grip.

Glad you had a great run from it. I don't think they are available here in Australia
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Nice to see someone not so concerned with getting a gazillion miles from a tyre, and instead more focused on grip.

Glad you had a great run from it. I don't think they are available here in Australia
    To bad we couldn't put some in a box and mail them to you!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post

I have always been a sport bike or sport touring bike owner and was pleased to get 5000 miles out of a rear tire. I'm pickled tink with 20K on a rear tire.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

nice , how are your front tires?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Hey Navydad,I Ryde thru Chillicothe often, we'll have to meet for a hamburger

Spyder Garage

...and my traction control warning light has been on so much I think it burned out.
    Erm, doesn't that mean the tyre has been losing grip and the traction control has kicked in to keep you safe?
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Federal Formosa on the front and at 20,000 they have plenty of life in them yet. I may end up changing them due to age more than wear.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    Erm, doesn't that mean the tyre has been losing grip and the traction control has kicked in to keep you safe?
    Yes that's exactly what it means, but the reason the tire is losing grip is because I have a penchant for twisting the throttle rather hard. I'm a sport bike nut and I tend to ride my bikes hard. Not necessarily over the speed limit, but I love the twisty roads and corner aggressively exiting hard on the throttle. I have a sport bike in the garage, but I tend to ride the RT hard in the corners as well.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

You change it yourself? Like the old fashion way with big spoons or whatever? I am tempted to try it but I don't know what to buy over at Harbor Freight

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    For me I get about the same distance from the fronts as the rear
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I'd like to meet both you sometime. I'm from Zanesville.
    The Altimax is my choice too. I ride solo all the time and get over 25,000 miles.
    The Federal Formoza front tires are my tire of choice too. My last set I replaced at 47,000 miles and they weren't to the wear bar yet. But the edges were smooth.
    Buckeye Chuck

Spyder Garage

I am on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43 tire on my spyder.

I ride solo.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    You change it yourself? Like the old fashion way with big spoons or whatever? I am tempted to try it but I don't know what to buy over at Harbor Freight
    I have three 18 inch tire irons I bought from a bike shop several years ago and I rigged up protective plastic covers for them so I don't scratch my wheels. I bought these to change the tires on my older bikes with tube type wheels. Tubeless tires are harder to change than tube type and if my buddy who owns an independent shop isn't busy I will use his tire changing goodies, but if he is booked or if it is off hours I do change my own. I have a static balance setup which does fine for my needs and I still have a nice supply of the no longer available LEAD weights.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Picked up a screw in the rear tire. Since it needs to come off anyway and has 10800 miles on it, I figured may as well replace it. The OEM Kenda is 225 / 50R15. The Altimax is 215/60R15. I’m just asking for clarification, the Altimax will have a slightly smaller diameter, but be slightly fatter? If that is the case then my speedometer will read even faster then I’m actually going? Thanks guys.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    ....... The OEM Kenda is 225 / 50R15. The Altimax is 215/60R15. I’m just asking for clarification, the Altimax will have a slightly smaller diameter, but be slightly fatter? .....
    Nope!

The Altimax will be slightly THINNER in width (not fatter) but because it's 'sidewall height' will be 60% of the 215mm nominal width instead of 50% of the 225mm nominal width (ie. 129mm vs 112.5mm) the overall change will most likely be a slightly LARGER rolling diameter..... Which should make the 'already reads faster than true' speedo read closer to your actual speed - ie, more accurate!

But do be aware that while that IS the case for fitting Altimax tires in that size, those sidewall sizes are nominal sizes and may be only vaguely related to the tire's actual size, so that 'more accurate speedo' achieved thru that particular tire & size change may not necessarily be applicable for a similar size change using another brand of tire!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-26-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Sorry, finger trouble, 129!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think the (ie.is 129mm vs 112.5mm). More Speedo correction. a good thing.
    How do I delete this? Not needed.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Riding with my wife most of the time, @ about 350 lbs total. What do you guys run for psi? Looks like most run around 20 according to what I saw on other threads, but that was with varying brands of tires.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Riding with my wife most of the time, @ about 350 lbs total. What do you guys run for psi? Looks like most run around 20 according to what I saw on other threads, but that was with varying brands of tires.
    Try 18 psi, This seems to be the sweet point. and addresses handling wet & dry and comfort …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Will do, thanks. Picking it up this morning and hopefully getting it on today so we can go see the colors this weekend.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

26 to 28psi in the rear.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

I got 28000miles on my Altimax before I changed it out for another Altimax

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    26 to 28psi in the rear.
    ……….. I guess you missed the part about His tire being an Altimax ………….Not a Kenda ..... Mike