Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

The mechanic that is installing the tire (a former CanAm mechanic) said that being a non OEM size tire might cause issues with the traction control. Said the Spyders can be a little temperamental. Have any of you had an issue with this? He said if it does the light will usually come on after about 10 miles. Said it takes a little while for the computer to figure out somethings off.
    Also is there going to be an issue since the tire isn’t a unidirectional tire for wear?
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    The mechanic that is installing the tire (a former CanAm mechanic) said that being a non OEM size tire might cause issues with the traction control. Said the Spyders can be a little temperamental. Have any of you had an issue with this? He said if it does the light will usually come on after about 10 miles. Said it takes a little while for the computer to figure out somethings off.
    Also is there going to be an issue since the tire isn’t a unidirectional tire for wear?
    Folks who have little to NO knowledge about a subject should not give advice ….. None of what that " mechanic " said is true...… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

20190928_091016.jpg

short trip back from the shop in the rain, felt like it had a better grip on the road already!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 09-28-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

20190928_091016.jpg

short trip back from the shop in the rain, felt like it had a better grip on the road already!
    18 or 17 psi helps a lot with the WET road traction ( Dry is excellent ) as well as improving the comfort level ….. Tires are really another part of the suspension, if they are hard or very hard, you will definitely feel that no matter how soft the normal suspension is ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Update on my Altimax:

Put on about a hundred miles in the hills yesterday. Definitely has more grip and runs quieter than OEM. Also the speedometer is only 1 mph off of the gps now.
    The “but” is that it might have too much grip on the road. It tends to want to grab the grooves in the road, especially on newly grooved road. Not a good feeling. My wife’s car does the same thing, but to a much lesser extent. It does get better as the tires wear in, but I don’t think I want to put up with it for a couple thousand miles. Lots of the major roads around here that I drive on are grooved. Might have to try something else.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default I felt that little grip/wiggle too when they were new

Rapid Spyder- I too felt that grip/wiggle when I first put the General on my RT. I wasnt sure if if it was a little bit of the new tire mold release acting up or just how they grip. Either they wore in or I got used to it after a couple thousand miles, but I am quite comfortable with them now for how I ride...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Rapid Spyder- I too felt that grip/wiggle when I first put the General on my RT. I wasnt sure if if it was a little bit of the new tire mold release acting up or just how they grip. Either they wore in or I got used to it after a couple thousand miles, but I am quite comfortable with them now for how I ride...
    Hmmm. Maybe playing with tire pressure might help too?

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I got in from a two day trip on my 2015 RT this evening and during my after ride check up I noticed my General Altimax was showing the REPLACE TIRE tread marker to me. This tire has a few miles over 20,000 on it and will be replaced with another Altimax this week. I ride two up 95% of the time, we ride the twisty roads of SE Ohio and West Virginia often, and my traction control warning light has been on so much I think it burned out. I think 20,000 miles on a tire that works very well and was used very hard is pretty darn good. When you factor in I paid under $90 for it that makes the deal even better. I picked up another Altimax also under $90 and I will install it myself.
    Hello NavyDad,
    Just wanted to check back in with you to tell about my experience w/Altimax that I installed on my 2014 RT in December 2021 with your message help and advice. I've been delighted with the performance (and, as you'd predicted, am even getting speedometer readings that are much closer to correct). Because I overpressured my previous Kenda rear tires I wound up wearing out the middle of the tread. To help prevent that happening w/my new Altimax, I've decided to monitor tread wear carefully (to hopefully be able to make adjustments when I see bad patterns emerging). To do that I've developed a little monitoring chart that I've attached, FYI.
    Again, thanks for the great information.
    Regards, PatrickH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Spyder Garage

Patrick, am looking at your chart, and me thinks you are on the high side with your PSI, Blueknight/ Mike states that 15/16 psi for the rear, when using a cartire, is right in the ballpark,
    I still run a Kenda in the rear, but for the fronts Blueknight was spot on, I run em at 12/13 psi, and they grip like no other
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Update on my Altimax:

Put on about a hundred miles in the hills yesterday. Definitely has more grip and runs quieter than OEM. Also the speedometer is only 1 mph off of the gps now.
    The “but” is that it might have too much grip on the road. It tends to want to grab the grooves in the road, especially on newly grooved road. Not a good feeling. My wife’s car does the same thing, but to a much lesser extent. It does get better as the tires wear in, but I don’t think I want to put up with it for a couple thousand miles. Lots of the major roads around here that I drive on are grooved. Might have to try something else.
    Un-fortunately ....the " Perfect tire " has yet to be developed Yet ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Patrick, am looking at your chart, and me thinks you are on the high side with your PSI, Blueknight/ Mike states that 15/16 psi for the rear, when using a cartire, is right in the ballpark,
    I still run a Kenda in the rear, but for the fronts Blueknight was spot on, I run em at 12/13 psi, and they grip like no other
    Well let me clarify your PSI's .... both Peter and I like 15 to 17 ( 17 if aggressive ) for front and 18-19, for the rear of ANY Auto tire on a Spyder....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Hello NavyDad,
    Just wanted to check back in with you to tell about my experience w/Altimax that I installed on my 2014 RT in December 2021 with your message help and advice. I've been delighted with the performance (and, as you'd predicted, am even getting speedometer readings that are much closer to correct). Because I overpressured my previous Kenda rear tires I wound up wearing out the middle of the tread. To help prevent that happening w/my new Altimax, I've decided to monitor tread wear carefully (to hopefully be able to make adjustments when I see bad patterns emerging). To do that I've developed a little monitoring chart that I've attached, FYI.
    Again, thanks for the great information.
    Regards, PatrickH
    It has been reported many, many times by both Peter & I that for Kenda REAR tires altering / lowering the PSI for the REAR tire will have minimal effect on wear .... the issue with the Kenda has to do with the Fact that it has a Weak carcass and is wide also, this allows it to Balloon at anything above 35 MPH ..... and this is why they wear at an alarming rate. I'm not knocking " NavyDad ", however He is in the " learning " process about " tire use for Spyders " ..... both Peter and I figured this out over a Decade ago ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Good into to know for the future. I have the Kenda stock tires on the 2021 RT I bought last June, and the tires all look good with about 4,000 miles so far. I wouldn't even try to remove the rear wheel, so I guess I will go to t he Can Am dealer when the tires need replacing. I am assuming that a car tire shop would not know how to remove the rear wheel and mount a new tire. I just wonder if a Can Am dealer would install car tires that I brought in myself. Anyone try that at their dealer?
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Good into to know for the future. I have the Kenda stock tires on the 2021 RT I bought last June, and the tires all look good with about 4,000 miles so far. I wouldn't even try to remove the rear wheel, so I guess I will go to t he Can Am dealer when the tires need replacing. I am assuming that a car tire shop would not know how to remove the rear wheel and mount a new tire. I just wonder if a Can Am dealer would install car tires that I brought in myself. Anyone try that at their dealer?
    My dealer does that...anything I being in....he will NOT order one though, I have to bring it in. I’m up here in Canada.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    I got 28000miles on my Altimax before I changed it out for another Altimax
    My goodness, 28,000 miles on ONE tire???? That's amazing for a motor cycle. Good deal.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-25-2022 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Piratezz,
    I didn't realize folks were using TPs that low. I'll certainly pay attention and be willing to lower mine if I see excessive center wear, this tells me there should be no harm in going several pounds lower.
    Regards, PatrickH
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    My goodness, 28,000 miles on ONE tire???? That's amazing for a motor cycle. Good deal.
    Great tire. I'm running 18 in mine and I'm staring 30K in the face. Have a second Altimax sitting next to the spider ready to be mounted anytime now. I have no idea when my Federal Formoza's will wear down. Maybe never? As my FOBO readings keep changing with ambient input, I run just about 18 all the way around.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-25-2022 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I am embaressed, Mike sorry, but I don't use psi overhere, we go by Bar for pressure, and I run 1.3 bar pressure in my fronts, MAJOR GOOF-UP on my behalf, don't want to give anyone bad advice, just made a typoo
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    I am embaressed, Mike sorry, but I don't use psi overhere, we go by Bar for pressure, and I run 1.3 bar pressure in my fronts, MAJOR GOOF-UP on my behalf, don't want to give anyone bad advice, just made a typoo
    Well, 1.3 bar is 19 psi, which is right in there with the tire pressures I'm reading about for car tires.

Spyder Garage

Hello 2Dogs,
    What is FOBO?
    Regards, PatrickH

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hello 2Dogs,
    What is FOBO?
    Regards, PatrickH
    It's a tire pressure monitoring system. Consists of screw-on valve stem caps that transmit tire PSI tire temps and the unit's battery voltage. It all integrates to your cellphone so you can see what's exactly going on with your tires at any time. Cool huh? Just google FOBO................

Spyder Garage

What is FOBO?
    Regards, PatrickH
    LAMONSTER GARAGE has them https://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo...f-3-lamonster/

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Great! I'm familiar w/TPMS in cars, but apparently this FOBO is a 3rd Party aftermarket outfit. I'll definitely check them out.
    PatrickH

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Great! I'm familiar w/TPMS in cars, but apparently this FOBO is a 3rd Party aftermarket outfit. I'll definitely check them out.
    PatrickH
    You can order the FOBO 2 directly from the Lamonster Garage. Comes equipped for the 3 wheels.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    PatrickH