Spyder Garage

Default Ryker 600 vs 900 for commuter?

Is the ryker 600 or 900 better as a commuter?

My drive is ~40mi each way, mostly highway and freeway. Speeds vary between stop&go and 40-70mph depending on traffic.

I will be the only one riding and am concerned about maintenance, mpg, and insurance/other costs rather than speed.

Test drove a 900 and it was pretty fast. Also have a 450 outlander and that's fast enough for me (up to the 50mphish limit). The manual for the outlander shows extra maintenance items for the 570 vs the 450, so wondering if it is similar for the ryker..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maintenance on both Rykers should be about the same.

The 600 won't be as quick as the 900 and the 600 will probably get better mileage. Other than that they would be VERY similar. Sounds like you are OK with better mileage and less quickness.

I'm sure the 600 will be fine.

Spyder Garage

From your explanation..... the 600 would be best. Being a 2 cylinder engine as opposed to the 900 triple, maintenance, mpg's will be better. Don't know if it has changed but insurance used to jump if over 1000cc. That you can check out with a phone call.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I like more power. So would probably go 900. I have had several 450 - 650's on two wheels...and...found them sufficient for anything I could throw at them though.

Just don't do a "wow, I coulda hadda V8" to yourself.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I use my Rally for commuting when I can. I have about 35 mile commute one way and feel its perfect for me. I went with the larger engine only because I ride 2 up quite often on weekends and wanted the extra pull and better suspension that the Rally has.

If you're not riding 2 up very often then go with the 600...my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Hey...this is my first reply here.

I am also looking at the Ryker as a daily driver. I have a short highway ride (17 miles), but it contains a 7% grade, which is about 5 miles long.

I don't plan any 2-up riding, but I'm about 260. Will the 600 get the job done?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Hi 44 fox there is no substitute for CCs regards Nico 75 ( wish 900 was 1300/ 3 cyl )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by senorgrand View Post
    Hey...this is my first reply here.

I am also looking at the Ryker as a daily driver. I have a short highway ride (17 miles), but it contains a 7% grade, which is about 5 miles long.

I don't plan any 2-up riding, but I'm about 260. Will the 600 get the job done?

Thanks!
    I'm sure it will. The 600 will just not be as quick as the 900 or have the same top speed as the 900.

Spyder Garage

Thanks! What is the approximate top crusing speed difference between the 600 and 900?

This is CA, so 70 is kind of the bare minimum to be on the freeway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 600 I don't know for sure but someone on another forum said 94mph was the top speed of the 600. Top speed on the 900 is about 108. The 900 has no problem running in the 75-85mph range. Not sure about the 600. I would guess if 94 is top speed then you'd feel the power fall off between 80-85?

Spyder Garage

Ok...if I can do 75 on level and 65 on the grade, I would be very happy!

Spyder Garage

I would recommend the 900. Maintenance is pretty much identical. However, if you ever need to get out of a bad situation, having the extra power available would be nice.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

I get the "better to have than to need" thing...something to consider.

Spyder Garage

The 600 will get you to work faster than the 900......................The 900 will slow you down when you get pulled over by CHIPs for speeding...

Spyder Garage

Lol. Half my commute is down a 7% grade...I could speed with 0 CC!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer View Post
    I would recommend the 900. Maintenance is pretty much identical. However, if you ever need to get out of a bad situation, having the extra power available would be nice.
    Re: maintenance.

Remember, both the 600 and 900 use the same CVT transmission so the wear on the CVT belt will be higher on the 900 as it handles more power.
    I would expect the 900 CVT to require maintenance more often.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Good point about the CVT needing maintenance. I've never experienced one before now and this is a learning experience for me. Hope they are made of good quality material.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
    Good point about the CVT needing maintenance. I've never experienced one before now and this is a learning experience for me. Hope they are made of good quality material.
    Other than changing the belt there is little to no maintenance for the CVT.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have 2 RTs, a '13 sm5 and a '15 se6. The '13 is my wifes and she doesn't ride very often. The '13 has been having some intermittent engine issues at times so I am considering trading it in on a Ryker if I don't have to come out of pocket for a whole lot more. It would be a nice change of pace from the RT.

I'm 6'3" 260 and test drove both the 600 and 900 Saturday at Mancusos in Texas City, TX. I drove the 900 first with the foot pegs in a sport bike position. I knew how to move them but the salesman who brought it outside didn't know how so I didn't mess with it. Lot of power and the wind tried to blow me off of it. I would definitely install a windshield if I bought one. When I drove the 600 a different salesman moved the foot pegs into a much better location which made the ride a lot comfortable. The 600 took a little more effort to get up to speed. If someones just riding around town and not taking long trips I think the 600 works fine. For the price I would buy a 600 and save the money cause they add those other fees onto these bike sales that pushes up the drive-out cost.

If I was new to the 3 wheel world and was trying to save money I would no doubt buy the Ryker. Its missing some things I want like a backrest, windshield, radio, and full footboards. So I will be getting my wifes bike looked at and wait till next year when they put the new body style RTs on sale.
    2015 RT , Black