Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Does this sound high for insurance

My wife and I are both 66. We have never had a ticket or an accident and have never filed a claim with our insurance company, MetLIfe. Her car is a 2001 Impala, my truck is a 2008 Silverado. We own them both outright. We have the standard coverage and are paying over $1,200 a year in insurance.

Does that sound high to anyone? Seems we should be getting a better deal then that. My policy renewal is telling me I'm getting discounts that have been applied to my premium, but does not tell me how much those discounts are. On top of that a notice in the renewal tells me my premium went up $24.00 this cycle. We pay 6 months at a shot.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's standard coverage considered in your area? Shop around it can't hurt.

You can always call and ask what discounts are being applied.

How much is your deductible?

I shopped around and they were almost all the same or some telling me to stay where I was at for the insurance company.

Spyder Garage

So many factors determine these rates like location, credit ratings, traffic violations, etc. Our vehicles are a 2011 and a 2017 and our annual is far less than what you are paying. But, we live in a small town with low crime and have clean driving records.

We left the last company because of constant increases in premiums despite never filing a claim. The agency was indifferent to our concerns, the agent was never in the office, rates continued to go up so we moved everything to another company and agency.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

So that's $50/mo per vehicle for full coverage? Doesn't sound all that terrible, what's your deductible?

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

As reference for my wife and I for both the 2006 Mini and the 2011 VW sportswagen pay $1036.00 a year adding the spyder it is /$1370.00 a year. I do have the earthquake ins and the home ins with them as well and this is CA....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Insurance cost starts with where you live. Your geographical area has many factors that affect insurance cost that are beyond your control or personal history. Things like crime rate, auto theft statistics, percentage of uninsured drivers, accident statistics for the area, etc. All things being equal as far as vehicle and personal history are concerned, your rates will vary depending upon where you live. Just no way to compare YOU with others. As you can see, you're paying to protect yourself from all the bad guys on the road. The more bad guys there are in your area, the more you pay for protection. The only thing you can do is "shop" your rate. If you deal with a multi-line broker, make sure they shop different companies. Or, shop your rates yourself. PITA but may save you hundreds. Just make sure you are comparing the same coverage with each company. Bottom line, no way to compare your cost with mine or anyone elses. Good luck.....Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Im 60 ish.....I pay 300 a YEAR for my ST And a Chevy S10. This is for the minimum coverage. N.C.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    Im 60 ish.....I pay 300 a YEAR for my ST And a Chevy S10. This is for the minimum coverage. N.C.
    Minimum coverage would be "Liability Only". Are you sure you want it that way?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

like many have said insurance premiums vary by state/location/area/age/driving records.

Here's my 2 cents (based on having a family member in the insurance industry)
    1. Never ever EVER (!!!) sign up for one of those devices you plug into your OBDII port that reports your activity to the mothership via their app (you know, the "don't mess with my discounts" commercial). Braking hard once or even driving after 10pm will result in your premiums skyrocketing.
    2. Insurance companies WILL raise your premiums every 6 or 12 months, so the longer you stay with your insurance co the more you will pay. It makes sense to switch your insurance Co every couple of years - hence "switch to [insert any insurance company name here] and you will save 15% or more"

Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your input. I did a little research and am looking at either USAA or Allstate right now. Both look like they will save me close to $500 a year with the same or slightly better coverage then I have with Metlife. I'm learning more towards Allstate since I will be dealing with an actual local agent instead of an email address over the internet. I like being able to talk with an actual person.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX View Post
    So that's $50/mo per vehicle for full coverage? Doesn't sound all that terrible, what's your deductible?
    No it isn't so " terrible " …...however I'm now paying $17.91 per month for full coverage ( a 12 mo. policy ) on my 2014 RT. I'm with Dairyland now ( they only do Mtc's )……. Mike

Spyder Garage

It is said that every two years you should put your insurance company on notice and ask for revaluation and price shop them out! It's to bad that you have to go threw all that crap but that's the games you have to play!! Being loyal to one company gets you no where but broke!!! Good Luck it sucks but you have to do it.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yea Jack.I am very happy with my policy. TY

Spyder Garage

Good to look at the reputation of the company in your state/area, too. Some are more prone to skyrocket cost (or drop you) if you have an incident(s)... even after years with them. I do shop insurance about every 3 years... just to check the temp of the insurance pool. Quotes are free and just take a bit of time online or with an agent. I have had Progressive for my bikes for over 10 years because of the good service and rate I have found there. $244 for a full year (2010 RS) here in WI with 0 deductible and 500,100,300 limits. Also, the premium includes trip interruption and towing. My autos are with them currently... but have moved through a series of 3,4 insurers in recent memory. My record is clean, except for a cut off accident on an Ultra Harley in Deadwood over a year ago. My credit rating is stellar... that helps too with setting of rates... as does being married and an older fella at 61 ...got the wilds out of me... well mostly (there's still a teenage boy in there sometimes)!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Minimum coverage would be "Liability Only". Are you sure you want it that way?

Jack
    That minimum Liability coverage would not even begin to cover costs in even a minor collision with any injury. The question to ask is: Do you have assets you want to protect?
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

You have fuzzy math. they are paying $100 a month, not $50
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Your premium is off the charts!! I have a 2018 RT Limited with full coverage and $500 deductible and pay $372.00 annually. My carrier is Wadena Ins. Co..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I have Allstate and I pay about $380 a year. I have my autos with Liberty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are eligible for USAA, I would consider them. I've been with USAA since 1981; while it may not be the cheapest insurance around they are still a good company to deal with. I've never had any issues with them. Since your vehicles are 18 and 11 years old, you may want to consider liability insurance only. Dale

Spyder Garage

I have Allstate and love having a local agent to call or visit.
    Still waiting for my spyder so can’t help with price.

Spyder Garage

I went from Dairyland to Progressive a couple months ago on my 2 Can Ams and saved almost 50% with better coverage? Dairyland starts raising rates after a year or so? Check out progressive-

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I went from Dairyland to Progressive a couple months ago on my 2 Can Ams and saved almost 50% with better coverage? Dairyland starts raising rates after a year or so? Check out progressive-
    Interesting - over 4 years, they have stayed the same or lowered it !!!!! ………… go figure ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I pay 1300 full coverage ,it sure is great to live in Canada .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX View Post
    $1200/yr for FULL coverage would indeed not be that terrible. However, it's s an 18 and an 11 year old car. I assume it isnt full coverage (I wouldn't have comp and collision on cars that old unless I had to for some reason) I pay about $1200/or for two 2017 vehicles with full coverage and a $500 deductible for comp and collision, plus another $400 year for my 2019 Spyder with full coverage and $500 deductibles.
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I recently moved from AK to AR. My carrier is still State Farm. I am 73 years old.

All my vehicles carry FULL coverage--regardless of age. I also insure my home with State Farm.

My monthly fees are:

2017 Subaru Outback 53.00
    2015 Kawasaki 900 Vulcan 39.00
    2014 Can AM Spyder RT 43.00
    2011 Can AM Spyder RT 36.00

Fees are slightly LOWER than what I paid in AK. I am currently paying $171 per month for the package. I paid $203 in AK.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red