Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

In searching for that article I mentioned earlier, I did find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8liZhfpEtYo . an interesting idea and they did mention being in Arizona

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    In searching for that article I mentioned earlier, I did find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8liZhfpEtYo . an interesting idea and they did mention being in Arizona
    It seems they no longer carry that helmet, but they do have that strap-on device made in India https://www.slatinmotogear.com/colle...-helmet-cooler
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX View Post
    Never found much relief here from the heat. I tend to not ride in the heat, just too hot out. If cracking the visor open a notch didn't get enough air flow, I doubt any helmet would via venting. Could try a white helmet if you don't have one. Color does make a difference. Look like you're wearing an egg on your head or people confuse you w/ the PD, but it would be cooler.
    Cracking the visor puts hot air on my face, which I think is counter-productive. Not only does it dessicate my face (which is already dry) but none of that airflow makes it up into the helmet where it can help cool the scalp by evaporation of the sweat.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think that you have to determine whether you value safety or comfort higher. I lived and rode in Tucson and Phoenix for 50 years and sold motorcycle parts for 20 of them - took a lot of instruction from Bell, Shoei and Arai. Their determination was that any compromise of the shell of the helmet would compromise the safety of the structure. If you land on the back of your head in this helmet are you going to get an intrusion from the a/c unit, maybe a haircut from the fans? My solution was always full coverage when it was cool, open-face (or Ford) when it was hot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBayne View Post
    I think that you have to determine whether you value safety or comfort higher. I lived and rode in Tucson and Phoenix for 50 years and sold motorcycle parts for 20 of them - took a lot of instruction from Bell, Shoei and Arai. Their determination was that any compromise of the shell of the helmet would compromise the safety of the structure. If you land on the back of your head in this helmet are you going to get an intrusion from the a/c unit, maybe a haircut from the fans? My solution was always full coverage when it was cool, open-face (or Ford) when it was hot.
    I agree about the safety / comfort trade-off. For now, I'm of the opinion that overheating of the head is an unsafe riding condition. So, I'm looking for ways to safely tour in the desert heat, including keeping my head from overheating.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I haven't yet done that, but I will shortly. I'm also considering opening up the vent holes if I can do so without compromising the shell's impact resistance.
    If you do, post pics.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do, post pics.
    My helmet is a white HJC-IS Max II. (BTW, I used this opportunity to wash the liner and pads for the first time in 3 years - they were pretty grungy).

I opened up the inside of the helmet (i.e. removed the liner and pads) and blew out the 6 air holes with my compressor. There was no blockage in the ports (holes). I decided not to modify them in any way. Attached are some pics of the helmet inner with and without liner. Should be able to see the six holes, which are in two channels running front to back. Also, the liner has slots in it corresponding to the channels.

So, it is what it is; plenty of venting for a standard, popular helmet, but still inadequate for hot desert riding.

Helmet 1.jpg Helmet 2.jpg Helmet 3.jpg

Helmet 4.jpg Helmet 5.jpg Helmet 6.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The next thing I'm going to try is to figure out a way to improve the aggressiveness of the air intake scoop. I imagine it's made low profile like this for reduced turbulence and noise, rather than optimizing the capture of incoming air.

Any ideas from the ingenious D-I-Y'ers out there?

Helmet 7.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The next thing I'm going to try is to figure out a way to improve the aggressiveness of the air intake scoop. I imagine it's made low profile like this for reduced turbulence and noise, rather than optimizing the capture of incoming air.

Helmet 7.jpg
    That will let more air in, but if you get caught in a thunderstorm, it is also gonna let a few gallons of water in too, unless you come up with a way to close it off when it is raining.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    That will let more air in, but if you get caught in a thunderstorm, it is also gonna let a few gallons of water in too, unless you come up with a way to close it off when it is raining.
    You're probably right. I'm betting I won't though. I'm desert riding; we have dry rain here!

It does have an open-close slider.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If You increase airflow wont that contribute to the blast furnace effect? Or are you hoping that the head sweat and increased air will be enough to cool you?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everyone knows or should know that its air, or moving air, and liquid that cool our engines. Air over cooling fins or air through a radiator. Radiators contain water and engines contain oil. Those liquids all add up to cooling, and much more. For us, its blood and perspiration, sweating. The evaporation by moving air keep us cool. I use a Cool'R helmet liner from Cycle Gear and keep it damp as often as possible. I also use a cooling vest and keep it full of water. All that in 110 degree temps, at 55/60 mph, makes riding worth while. I noticed that Harley riders wear full black leathers in the summer and don't complain about being hot. They don't get any air. So, maybe there's something to be said about that study by the University of Sydney.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    If You increase airflow wont that contribute to the blast furnace effect? Or are you hoping that the head sweat and increased air will be enough to cool you?
    I'm thinking that increasing the airflow through those passages in the helmet will produce a cooling effect on the scalp as it evaporates the trapped sweat.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

When I wear a helmet I always wear a due (sp?) rag. In hot weather I make sure and soak it with water before I put my lid on. It keeps me head cool for 30 minutes to an hour. I wear an Aria, XD-4 visor ALWAYS open, I get too hot if I close the visor. The helmet is white to keep it as cool as possible.
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Spyder Garage

with your post UP, altho if you increase the amount of airflow IN to your helmet, you'll also need to increase the helmet's capability to let air OUT, or you'll end up with a pressurised hot air box on your head! You need air FLOW over your sweating head to cool it down, or you'll just bake in there!

That's why the SHOEI GT-Air's have front vents AND a rear vent - it helps get the air out in a place that means the air-flow is travelling over the head areas where most of us sweat and it helps cool the head that's inside the helmet! And the vent holes on my helmet are a fair bit larger than those pin-pricks shown in your pic!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    with your post UP, altho if you increase the amount of airflow IN to your helmet, you'll also need to increase the helmet's capability to let air OUT, or you'll end up with a pressurised hot air box on your head! You need air FLOW over your sweating head to cool it down, or you'll just bake in there!

That's why the SHOEI GT-Air's have front vents AND a rear vent - it helps get the air out in a place that means the air-flow is travelling over the head areas where most of us sweat and it helps cool the head that's inside the helmet! And the vent holes on my helmet are a fair bit larger than those pin-pricks shown in your pic!!
    Right you are, Peter

My helmet has two intake and four outlet holes for a total of six. Each is about 1/4" in diameter.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Helmet 7.jpg

Hi Pete,
    Before the and it's windshield I did add a "scoop" to a helmet. It did help ( but a windshield lowered it's effectiveness). I used a thermoplastic and formed it to the desired shape. Even added an insect screen ( but that helmet is gone). The "blast furnace effect" was a non-issue as the amount of air flow isn't that much---- but a noticeable air flow increase. On my newer helmet, I did open up the air passages from the top vent also.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi Pete,
    Before the and it's windshield I did add a "scoop" to a helmet. It did help ( but a windshield lowered it's effectiveness). I used a thermoplastic and formed it to the desired shape. Even added an insect screen ( but that helmet is gone). The "blast furnace effect" was a non-issue as the amount of air flow isn't that much---- but a noticeable air flow increase. On my newer helmet, I did open up the air passages from the top vent also.

Lew L
    Hi Lew, I thought I remembered you posting something like that thermoplastic scoop some years ago. Do you have any pics or suggestions on how to do that?

How much did you enlarge the airway passages and how did you go about doing that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

On pic 4 it looks like the foam could be opened a hair on the upper left hole of the pic, like it's malformed - prob splitting hairs.

If you put a scoop on top of your noggin, it's may make it uncomfortable on your neck, gonna catch the wind more - and may cause helmet lift. But a small sheet of kydex wouldn't be all that expensive to experiment with.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On pic 4 it looks like the foam could be opened a hair on the upper left hole of the pic, like it's malformed - prob splitting hairs.

If you put a scoop on top of your noggin, it's may make it uncomfortable on your neck, gonna catch the wind more - and may cause helmet lift. But a small sheet of kydex wouldn't be all that expensive to experiment with.
    I was wondering what material to use. This looks like just the right solution. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete, Before the and it's windshield I did add a "scoop" to a helmet. It did help ( but a windshield lowered it's effectiveness). I used a thermoplastic and formed it to the desired shape. Even added an insect screen ( but that helmet is gone). The "blast furnace effect" was a non-issue as the amount of air flow isn't that much---- but a noticeable air flow increase. On my newer helmet, I did open up the air passages from the top vent also. Lew L
    Lew, it was on a thread I started last August that you mentioned the air scoop mod on your helmet;

"Hi Pete, The LS2 helmet has a small and ineffective air intake at the crown of the helmet. I heated a rubbery, dark, plastic material into a curve shape and cut it like a scoop. It's small and not obtrusive but it helps. I can try to get a pix later this evening."

It seems you later posted a picture, but it's no longer there. Can you post it again here? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

Helmet and pix are long gone.The right plastic ( thermosetting) and a heat gun should do the trick. I removed the liners of the helmet and found 2 holes leading to the top vent. A dremel tool did the job but it was messy, thank goodness for an air compressor.
    Lew
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete, helmet and pix are long gone.The right plastic ( thermosetting) and a heat gun should do the trick. I removed the liners of the helmet and found 2 holes leading to the top vent. A dremel tool did the job but it was messy, thank goodness for an air compressor. Lew
    Well, I ordered some of that special plastic which should arrive next week from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Meanwhile, I've made a mockup with thin aluminum sheet, which will also serve as a form for the final product;

Helmet air scoop template.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Will your helmet visor open up over the top of that?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Will your helmet visor open up over the top of that?
    Just barely
    2014 RTL Platinum