Spyder Garage

Question Rear peg removal, one bolt stuck to the brass fitting which spins - HELP please

Need help from anyone who has encountered this issue when removing your rear (passenger) pegs. I have a 2015 F3-S. I have one peg removed without any issue but the 2nd peg is not as simple. I have one of the two bolts removed from the peg. The remaining one will not budge and I heated it alot and often. It' is 'stuck' to the brass bushing and the bushing spins when I try to loosen it. I think I had no brass ears to begin with based upon what it felt like when I first tried to loosen it after heating it.

Would it be possible to use a reverse/left handed bolt to hold the bushing from the other side to keep it from spinning? There doesn't appear to be any wiggle room to cut the bolt even if I cut off the rubber bushing edges. I need expertise from anyone who's experienced and solved this problem, please.

Aside from cutting the peg, I'm looking for a less drastic solution. If there is no better solution and the peg needs to be cut off, what did you use to do the cutting?

Thank you!
    2015 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

I hear yah. My 4 day old F3-S has a floppy right side pass peg and they're tight as hell already
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hondagal01 View Post
    Need help from anyone who has encountered this issue when removing your rear (passenger) pegs. I have a 2015 F3-S. I have one peg removed without any issue but the 2nd peg is not as simple. I have one of the two bolts removed from the peg. The remaining one will not budge and I heated it alot and often. It' is 'stuck' to the brass bushing and the bushing spins when I try to loosen it. I think I had no brass ears to begin with based upon what it felt like when I first tried to loosen it after heating it.

Would it be possible to use a reverse/left handed bolt to hold the bushing from the other side to keep it from spinning? There doesn't appear to be any wiggle room to cut the bolt even if I cut off the rubber bushing edges. I need expertise from anyone who's experienced and solved this problem, please.

Aside from cutting the peg, I'm looking for a less drastic solution. If there is no better solution and the peg needs to be cut off, what did you use to do the cutting?

Thank you!
    Try taking a bolt (with no (loktite) and 2 nuts on the bolt. Screw the bolt in a few turns then use the 1st nut to tighten the bolt down. Use the 2nd nut as a jam nut for the 1st nut. Now loosen the stuck bolt. Then back off the 2 nuts and remove the bolt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Try taking a bolt (with no (loktite) and 2 nuts on the bolt. Screw the bolt in a few turns then use the 1st nut to tighten the bolt down. Use the 2nd nut as a jam nut for the 1st nut. Now loosen the stuck bolt. Then back off the 2 nuts and remove the bolt.
    I got two nuts and used them as suggested. The problem is that when I loosen the left stuck bolt (turn it counter clockwise), it also backs out the right bolt which I previously removed. Weird. The extra nuts did nothing except make me hunt for a longer bolt, lol.

I"m going to look for a reverse threaded bolt to see if that works. I'll post my solution once I have one. Thanks for the suggestion.
    2015 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

I got two nuts and used them as suggested. The problem is that when I loosen the left stuck bolt (turn it counter clockwise), it also backs out the right bolt which I previously removed. Weird. The extra nuts did nothing except make me hunt for a longer bolt, lol.

I"m going to look for a reverse threaded bolt to see if that works. I'll post my solution once I have one. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Sorry that didn't work for you. I presume you have tried something like Liquid wrench sprayed in the open end of the bushing. Another option would be to drill a small hole from under the peg and through the bushing and use the drill bit as a pin.

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem when removing mine. Get an easy out & pound it in the opposite side to hold it while trying to loosen the other side. Heat the hell out of it first. You are or already have ruined the brass piece but those are cheap to replace.
    It really is a sickness!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you!
    Check out this how to

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/f3-foot-peg-removal/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3 View Post
    Thanks, I've been through that how to video. My situation is more complicated which is why I'm asking for help from anyone who's encountered my predicament and how they solved it.
    2015 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

I stripped the head on one of mine and the only way I was able to remove it was by cutting through the rubber and screw on both sides using an air grinder with a thin cutoff wheel. Taking the screw head off will not work as the brass insert cannot be pushed through as it is larger than the peg opening.
    Good luck!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I stripped the head on one of mine and the only way I was able to remove it was by cutting through the rubber and screw on both sides using an air grinder with a thin cutoff wheel. Taking the screw head off will not work as the brass insert cannot be pushed through as it is larger than the peg opening.
    Good luck!
    Thank you. :-) Looks like I need to go that route. I tried a reverse thread bolt but that still didn't get the stuck head to turn out even though I could hold still the insert on the right side from moving. Appreciate the help. Time to go shopping for a new tool.
    2015 F3S , Black