Spyder Garage

Question Need a speed sensor/voltage for gear indicator module/Shift light

Hi

I am trying to fit a Healtech Gear Indicator and need a speed and tacho signal - so I guess on a Spyder that would be Camshaft sensor and ABS but ABS seems to go to CANBUS - I cant get it to work - any ideas chaps?

Andy

Spyder Garage

Default Need more info....

What year and model are we talking about and what exactly are you trying to do. Models with the eco mode I believe let you know when to shift. Are we talking semi automatic or manual shift on what engine the 998 or the 1330 and now the 900 and the 600.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

OK sorry for lack of info - F3SM 2015/1330 I am trying to add the Healtech Shift light and the gear indicator as additional instruments and I need a basic speed/ABS and tacho/Camshaft signal wire to tap into.
    These are products specifically sold as Can-Am F3S compatible but dont come with specific install instructions - only generic!!

https://www.healtech-electronics.com...ts/gipro/gpxt/
    https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/slp/

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Don't the F3's have a gear indicator already..? it is a nice looking unit. I would suggest getting in touch with the dealer of the product or the manufacturer for additional help with installation and getting a hold of a wiring diagram of your model to make sure you are tapping into the right wires. Electrical on these units can be tricky and mess with other features. If you get it sorted out let us know how it works out....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You can get a tacho signal from the ECM side of either an ignition coil or fuel injector. Both of these carry a supply current on one terminal and the ECM grounds the other terminal to activate them. Both will likely carry a back EMF of possibly 80-90 volts.

The vehicle speed signal can be collected from the vehicle speed sensor circuit but the vss can supply a limited current so you may need to limit what is tapped off or your bike might not have enough current left to power its own circuits. I guess your Healtech device is able to interface directly with these circuits.

I have a Healtech gear position indicator on a motorcycle but it doesn't require these inputs so I've no experience of your actual device. However, I have grafted a cruise control from a Victory motorcycle onto a Triumph motorcycle and needed to get the exact same inputs as you're asking about. I used the coil and the vss signal but had to build an interface for the vss signal because a simple connection stole too much current from the vss and bike's speedo ceased to function correctly.

Spyder Garage

Many thanks - some clues to explore - much appreciated.
    I have reached out to Healtech tech support - awaiting a response. They make custom connection kits for most bike but not the Can-Am yet sadly ;-(

Spyder Garage

I've just read the installation info of both of these units, I think you're going to have to tap into the Spyder wiring yourself. The unit with the light requires a tacho input and appears to be internally buffered so I think you're safe to connect directly to the ECM side of one of your ignition coils. The phone app software allows you to set the number of pulses from the coil to match the Healtech unit by adjusting the bars on your phone screen to match your Spyder's tacho.

The other unit taps into the bikes vehicle speed signal as I'd thought it would. It also appears to be buffered in the Healtech so you shouldn't have any issues with the Healtech taking too much current from the vss.

You need a circuit diagram for your bike to know the cable connections from the vss. You could go by trial and error and tap into each wire within the cable to see which one worked. The Healtech info suggests it's internally protected to allow you to do this. It's a bit of a crude method but if needs must...
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.