Thread: tires

Spyder Garage

Default tires

Has anyone installed Achilles ATR-K Economist 165/55 r15 tires on there spyder . i have a 2013 sts se5
    2013 sts , Pure Magnesium

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjeffrey View Post
    Has anyone installed Achilles ATR-K Economist 165/55 r15 tires on there spyder . i have a 2013 sts se5
    They will fit ….. however I have never heard of that make ….. There are many different brands that make that size and have proven track records for their performance...… So why be a genea pig ….. currently the Vredestein Quatrac 5 has the best performance data for tires that will fit any Spyder …… Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Better off with Federal Formozas in the stock size. Than a no name tire.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    They will fit ….. however I have never heard of that make ….. There are many different brands that make that size and have proven track records for their performance...… So why be a genea pig ….. currently the Vredestein Quatrac 5 has the best performance data for tires that will fit any Spyder …… Mike
    Mike, you say that all the time “the best performance data”. Is that data on a Spyder? If it is data from cars I really don’t give a dang.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Ah yes tires.... we have come a long way from when the only one being mentioned was the Kuhomo. We now have a myrad of tire that will fit and are being used. We have gotten to the point where it so hard to wade through all the postings on the different brands that asking if someone has used a tire is the best way to get some information on them. From a google search the Achellies seem to have some good reviews, mostly on cars that use four of them, so it may be worth a try as most of the other car tires being used also have the same reviews. Some are proving not to be that good but this would be the place to find out how they work on a spyder that only uses one... If you venture into using this one we would love to get the feed back and add it to the list of possiblities....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Mike, you say that all the time “the best performance data”. Is that data on a Spyder? If it is data from cars I really don’t give a dang.
    Dang, dang, dang .. Dear Ann, I hear/ read you recommend Federal Formoza's ALL the time ... So what " testing " was done, & on what Spyders .. ????? inquiring minds want to know ………….. Annnnnnnnnnnd as far as the Vredesteins go … the 25 or so folks here who have them say they Loooooooooooooove them ……. ride safe - ride happy …… Mike

Spyder Garage

It looks ok. https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s613..._Noise%3A_70dB

Same wet grip rating as Mike's favourite tyre, a little noisier and a bit less fuel efficient but only 60% of the price. It's a summer tyre so will be more stable in the dry than an all season tyre. If you don't need the all season features it could be worth a try. At that price you could afford to throw them away if they weren't to your liking! Go for it and report back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    It looks ok. https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s613..._Noise%3A_70dB

Same wet grip rating as Mike's favourite tyre, a little noisier and a bit less fuel efficient but only 60% of the price. It's a summer tyre so will be more stable in the dry than an all season tyre. If you don't need the all season features it could be worth a try. At that price you could afford to throw them away if they weren't to your liking! Go for it and report back.
    Wow - fantastic ……...… I didn't bother checking … so how much do you think SHIPPING to the USA might be , especially if you needed them on the West coast ?????? ….....Thanks ever so much …… Mike

Spyder Garage

why has no one said anything about a Goodyear or other high end tire is it because of the price . I don't care what they cost just want the best tire for my bike , any try these brands

Spyder Garage

simple tire has free shipping , 2 tires were 99.00$
    2013 sts , Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I put the quatrac 5s on my rtl 2 weeks ago and now have a couple hundred miles on them and I have to say they are smoother and also less darty than the originals.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gom View Post
    why has no one said anything about a Goodyear or other high end tire is it because of the price . I don't care what they cost just want the best tire for my bike , any try these brands
    It probably has to do with our Spyder size requirements ….. ie. a really fantastic tire is the Michelin Pilot series …. however they don't come in even a close Spyder size ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Wow - fantastic ……...… I didn't bother checking … so how much do you think SHIPPING to the USA might be , especially if you needed them on the West coast ?????? ….....Thanks ever so much …… Mike
    Mike, stop it! Sarcasm doesn't work. It's obviously just a link to a site which gives some tyre detail - and they are available on your side of the pond too. I see you're picking on SpyderAnn also. Cool it, you're doing yourself no favours.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    Mike, stop it! Sarcasm doesn't work. It's obviously just a link to a site which gives some tyre detail - and they are available on your side of the pond too. I see you're picking on SpyderAnn also. Cool it, you're doing yourself no favours.
    …. Am I now supposed to apologize for being NICE …. If you put me on your Ignore list ( please, please ) you won't have to suffer reading base of my knowledge !!!!!! …………. as for " picking on SpyderAnn01 " follow the " who posted first "..... PS Ann is a friend and can certainly take care of Herself ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dang, dang, dang .. Dear Ann, I hear/ read you recommend Federal Formoza's ALL the time ... So what " testing " was done, & on what Spyders .. ????? inquiring minds want to know ………….. Annnnnnnnnnnd as far as the Vredesteins go … the 25 or so folks here who have them say they Loooooooooooooove them ……. ride safe - ride happy …… Mike
    Let’s see, I have personally ridden 100,000 miles on the Formoza and have installed them on dozens of customers bikes. But that wasn’t my point, you refer to testing, which you make sound like it is some official tire testing not your 25 friends experience.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Let’s see, I have personally ridden 100,000 miles on the Formoza and have installed them on dozens of customers bikes. But that wasn’t my point, you refer to testing, which you make sound like it is some official tire testing not your 25 friends experience.
    I have read several TEST reports from sources that test the tires, they like it ….. and the " 25 friends ".. weren't " friends " until After they bought the tires.….. You also like the General Altimax RT 43 ………….. I started recommending that tire before anyone here was using it ….. and then it caught on, and now it's the " go to rear tire " for many, many folks here …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Ah yes tires.... we have come a long way from when the only one being mentioned was the Kuhomo. We now have a myrad of tire that will fit and are being used. We have gotten to the point where it so hard to wade through all the postings on the different brands that asking if someone has used a tire is the best way to get some information on them. From a google search the Achellies seem to have some good reviews, mostly on cars that use four of them, so it may be worth a try as most of the other car tires being used also have the same reviews. Some are proving not to be that good but this would be the place to find out how they work on a spyder that only uses one... If you venture into using this one we would love to get the feed back and add it to the list of possiblities....
    When I first joined this forum I read through much of it first starting before I got my Spyder and created bookmarks by subject (tires, oil, troubleshooting, hacks,etc) for that reason. No troubles finding many recommendations for recurring and common issues
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue