Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well Heck.

Spyder Garage

Default Well Heck.

Well here's the bad and the ugly. Dropped our 2011 RT off at the dealer a month ago. The mechanic put the black box on it and there was the DPS showed up bad. Next other codes appeared, they got settled out and reset. That's the bad,
    the ugly is this. The dealer ordered a new DPS motor from Can Am. Its been over 3 weeks and still no motor has been delivered. 1100 dollars from Canada. And some 20 more dollars for other parts needed. So today my wife called the shop they told her they cancelled the order from Canada and Can Am and ordered one from some other supplier. Now the DPS is 1200 dollars and another possible 3 weeks before it gets fixed and back on the road. All together it's going to be over $2100 dollars. 8 weeks without the bike and just about done with Can Am. For what these things cost, the price of getting them fixed, and the heartache of waiting. You would think that you could get the parts when you need them. It's maybe getting time to sell the RT and get another Honda Goldwing. Or just get a camper and stop riding all together. Has anyone else had this problem? Happy Trails To all. Ride Safe my Friends.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

If out of warranty best get your parts for outside suppliers. I have always used Cheapcycleparts.com who carries all oem parts in stock and ships promptly. There are others such as ebay, amazon, craigs list as well as the whole salvage industry. Dealers may only deal with manufacturers on warranty but some may search other places....hope they get you going soon..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am with you. I like the Spyder, my 2016 RT Limited is my second one, however, service is getting to be a major issue. I called my Dealer for a routine service, they are down to one tech, booked ahead 6 weeks... If I experience an issue such as yours, the Spyder will be gone....I will find a serviceable brand trike, or just ride my BMW.... Oh, and I would be more descriptive then “Well Heck”.....

Spyder Garage

I have said more than once, I would LOVE to find a shop in Maine where I could go in, and feel like I was not the only one, that knew what was going on with my ride. And to find some one that could think out of the box. When my compressor went down on me this year, I called and went to three different shops, run the questions up the flag pole about bypassing the pump and just hooking the thing up to the air valve and all I got was the deer in the headlight look, and the reply ,Oh no I will be liable if some thing happens!! So to bad they didn't want my money, I took it home and did it myself!!! I think if I had some of the issues that some people on here talk about I would be looking into a nice Goldwing trike!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of the above going on these days. It starts with bad mechanical assistance and goes downhill from there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hands down the most unreliable and costliest to maintain motor driven cycle I've owned over the past 55 years. In fact, there's no doubt repairs to my 2011 have exceeded the cost of repairs of all those bikes combined. It also smashes alll shop queen records whether that be time spent trouble shooting or AWOP(awaiting parts).

Is a Spyder fun when it's running well. Hell yes!

Is it worth the expense and frustration when it's not. Hell no!

One and done.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    Well here's the bad and the ugly. Dropped our 2011 RT off at the dealer a month ago. The mechanic put the black box on it and there was the DPS showed up bad. Next other codes appeared, they got settled out and reset. That's the bad,
    the ugly is this. The dealer ordered a new DPS motor from Can Am. Its been over 3 weeks and still no motor has been delivered. 1100 dollars from Canada. And some 20 more dollars for other parts needed. So today my wife called the shop they told her they cancelled the order from Canada and Can Am and ordered one from some other supplier. Now the DPS is 1200 dollars and another possible 3 weeks before it gets fixed and back on the road. All together it's going to be over $2100 dollars. 8 weeks without the bike and just about done with Can Am. For what these things cost, the price of getting them fixed, and the heartache of waiting. You would think that you could get the parts when you need them. It's maybe getting time to sell the RT and get another Honda Goldwing. Or just get a camper and stop riding all together. Has anyone else had this problem? Happy Trails To all. Ride Safe my Friends.
    $ 2100.00 ..I'm no mathematician but, I see only $ 1200.00 as your portion !!! ... If they canceled the order ( from BRP ) without your knowledge or permission, then don't pay that portion of the Bill. ..... What I gather from this transaction and that Dealer …. are you really, really sure the DPS failed..... could be BS on their part ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike. I really need to dig further into this and make sure what is going on.

Spyder Garage

1100 dollars from Canada. Now the DPS is 1200 dollars and another possible 3 weeks before it gets fixed and back on the road. All together it's going to be over $2100 dollars.
    So let me see if I got this straight. The dealer ordered the original part for $1,100.00 Then cancelled that and ordered the same part from another vendor for $1,200.00. And now the dealer wants you to pay $2,100.00 for a $1,200.00 part? Someone is being taken to the cleaners and I don't think it's the dealer.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

So when you say "altogether" that means parts and labor.....right?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

What is a DPS? I had a Yamaha XS1100 in 1984. I rode 1800 miles from LA to West Monroe. The last 20 miles, the bike suddenly was running badly. Took it to the local 'authorized' Yamaha dealer. I was told I had to have all four carbs replaced. Not likely. Loaded it into a truck I bought for the trip back. Dropped it at the dealership. About an hour after I dropped it, got a call from the shop. All done. Just replaced the float. Moral is not all are qualified to diagnose and repair a problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    I am with you. I like the Spyder, my 2016 RT Limited is my second one, however, service is getting to be a major issue. I called my Dealer for a routine service, they are down to one tech, booked ahead 6 weeks... If I experience an issue such as yours, the Spyder will be gone....I will find a serviceable brand trike, or just ride my BMW.... Oh, and I would be more descriptive then “Well Heck”.....
    I understand. Our shop has 2 techs, but they was already backed up for 2 to 3 weeks when we got it there but they went and checked it anyway in between other jobs. The problem come from BRP and there hold on getting the parts to Tennessee. I'll look at some other parts places to see if I can get it cheaper than the shop its at.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    What is a DPS? I had a Yamaha XS1100 in 1984. I rode 1800 miles from LA to West Monroe. The last 20 miles, the bike suddenly was running badly. Took it to the local 'authorized' Yamaha dealer. I was told I had to have all four carbs replaced. Not likely. Loaded it into a truck I bought for the trip back. Dropped it at the dealership. About an hour after I dropped it, got a call from the shop. All done. Just replaced the float. Moral is not all are qualified to diagnose and repair a problem.
    What's scary is if you would have gone with what these guys told you and they didn't replace the float, you would have spent a lot of money and had the same problem
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

What is a DPS? .......
    Dynamic Power Steering.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

the DPS on a spyder RT is the dynamic power steering system that make it easier to steer in curves or going in and out of parking lots. It's controlled by one of the computers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If out of warranty best get your parts for outside suppliers. I have always used Cheapcycleparts.com who carries all oem parts in stock and ships promptly. There are others such as ebay, amazon, craigs list as well as the whole salvage industry. Dealers may only deal with manufacturers on warranty but some may search other places....hope they get you going soon..
    I checked cheap cycle parts and the DPS on there was $1259.99 . It was a good try. They all seem to be around the same price. Thanks for the help. Happy Trails My Friend.

Spyder Garage

Can the DPS be eliminated like the DESS? The DPS only works a slow speeds anyway. Might be a bit of a workout when in parking lots but it will save you time and money going to the gym.......... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I checked cheap cycle parts and the DPS on there was $1259.99 . It was a good try. They all seem to be around the same price. Thanks for the help. Happy Trails My Friend.
    If you register with them you get a discount. 10% I think.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If the DPS is a electric motor it should be rebuildable or is their problem electronic?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Can the DPS be eliminated like the DESS? The DPS only works a slow speeds anyway. Might be a bit of a workout when in parking lots but it will save you time and money going to the gym.......... Jim
    it's really not that hard to turn without the DPS. It's just you have to look st the warning lite flash on and off all the time. I don't know if you can turn it off thru the computer or not.

Spyder Garage

i just got a 2010 rts i looked up if any recalls and i found 2 one was the dps and othere was some pins on brake assly i took to a dealer close to my house the service manerger was all nice till he ask me if i bout the bike there i told him no then he didnt even wount to talk to me after that he told me ill have to leave bike and hel order the parts ahd he was 2 weeks out on repairs he was going to keep my bike for weeks i told him hell no i took my bike 48 miles from my home thy took my info told me he ll come me in a week to get it fix well a week and 2 day he called sead bring bike i can wait for it to get dune and i did it took 2 half hour to fix test ride and washed that how all of the dealer should be

Spyder Garage

Hi guys and gals. Here's the update. Finally got the RT back a couple of weeks ago. Rides great, runs great and after not seeing it for two months as for being at the shop. I can't complain about the shop, just that the 2100 dollars to fix is kinda crazy. But it runs good and rides good. Maybe one day can am will learn to ship the parts you need when you need them. And not hold you hostage for 5 weeks trying to get a part out of Canada. So happy trails my friends. May you have a wonderful time riding this fall.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Threads like this really discourage me on a Spyder purchase. There are problems, and then there are problems, but holy smokes, this is scary.

Spyder Garage

One thing in my experience is I get what I order from cheap cycle parts in a week. You might want to pay 50-100 dollars more to get your parts two weeks earlier, I know I would.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    One thing in my experience is I get what I order from cheap cycle parts in a week. You might want to pay 50-100 dollars more to get your parts two weeks earlier, I know I would.
    Everything I've purchased from Cheapcycleparts has arrived promptly and been the same price as BRP's website. You have to pay shipping and tax though. Worth it if you're not doing warranty repair.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.