Spyder Garage

Default Front drive spocket

My belt runs within 2mm of the raised part on the rear cog but the front just touches the outside raised part of the FRONT cog. It squeaks on slow speed. If I adjust the alignment for bigger gap on the rear this would affect the front (right?)(wrong?).. What I am thinking is either to some how adjust the position of the engine OR shim the front cog outwards by about 2mm to stop the rubbing..
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Is it showing wear on your drive belt??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Not really - belt teeth slightly shiny that is all

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    My belt runs within 2mm of the raised part on the rear cog but the front just touches the outside raised part of the FRONT cog. It squeaks on slow speed. If I adjust the alignment for bigger gap on the rear this would affect the front (right?)(wrong?).. What I am thinking is either to some how adjust the position of the engine OR shim the front cog outwards by about 2mm to stop the rubbing..
    Check your belt tension. My 2018 RTL came from the factory with so much belt tension it had me in the same condition. Upon lowering the belt to the lower specification my belt aligned on the pulleys correctly.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 RS has almost the exact same setup as yours. I'm about 1mm off the raised edge of the rear sprocket and the belt just touches the outside edge of the front sprocket. It's been like this since new and hasn't caused any issue. I don't have any squeak of the belt. My guess is just a small adjustment to your belt would be all that's required to stop the squeak.

Spyder Garage

I've spaced one outwards 6mm but the belt just followed. My take, since lots of spyders have belts running outwards at the front pulley, it's an engine alignment issue. Whether it's deliberate or not I don't know. Certainly there is an engine tie-bar with a very specific length setting down to 0.1mm.

If you are sure the squeaking is the belt, you can test it by applying a little soap solution and the squeak should temporarily cease, then lift the rear wheel and run the bike in gear and apply a candle to the offending edge of the belt. It will lubricate that edge of the belt and also transfer to the pulley without clagging up as rubber grease will do.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I read somewhere about CAN AM saying to put a pea size grease on the cog - seems odd to me!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I read somewhere about CAN AM saying to put a pea size grease on the cog - seems odd to me!
    Correct on the dab of grease. The service bulletin tells what grease to use.

As others mentioned, you might do best to lower the tension on the belt.

With all that said, you made no mention if your machine has a belt tensioner. If it does, that could be the culprit.

Also consider, if the pulley splines have worn even slightly, your belt tracking will change.

Spyder Garage

It is SILICONE grease.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Update - Before I had a belt tension of 180 and as stated gap on rear cog of about 2mm. Been in garage and re-set. Now tension of 160 and set the gap to 4mm. Front looks better. Run bike on stand for around 10mins (in gear) and afterwards no squeak when I move it back or forward in neutral in the garage

Spyder Garage

Have you got your head around the adjustment? The bigger the gap from the rear flange, the further to the left the belt rides on the front pulley.

Spyder Garage

I know that was my thought. But I thought I would see what would happen if I moved it and reset the tension ( could always put it back to as was) or if needed I would remove front cog and shim it outwards ....

Spyder Garage

Did 22kms this morning down to local village for bread and afterwards parked bike in garage and hey presto no noise at all from belt

Spyder Garage

I know that was my thought. But I thought I would see what would happen if I moved it and reset the tension ( could always put it back to as was) or if needed I would remove front cog and shim it outwards ....
    Mr Haikanko,

I see you ride a RSE5. I don't know the year, but look at this TST on belt tensions. Can Am has been bad about running their tension too high. I had the same problem, but once I reduced the tension to minimum, and got a 1-2mm gap on the rear flange, the front was aligned correctly.
    BRP TST Bulletin Belt Tension.jpg
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Thanks - if I am correct that means the belt runs at 60lbs and not 160- 180 lbs!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ewxr7qwqo

Spyder Garage

Thanks - if I am correct that means the belt runs at 60lbs and not 160- 180 lbs!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ewxr7qwqo
    Mr. Haikanko,
    That depends on the year. These specifications are the minimum recommended to solve customer reported vibration issues. Looks like if your RS is made before 2013 (2012 model year) it can run from 38-83 Lbs force, and from 2013 on it can run 119-164 Lbs force.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Going from 160 to 60 lbs is crazy amount of change - has anyone run their GS/RS at this very low tension

Spyder Garage

Going from 160 to 60 lbs is crazy amount of change - has anyone run their GS/RS at this very low tension
    Mr. Haikanko,

I'm not suggesting you make any changes, but be aware of how the high tension affects where the belt runs on the pulleys. I just provided the TST from Can Am as a reference.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Hi. I have been doing more digging and the way Can am measure tension and the rest of us is different - CAN AM measures the belt tension with the bike up on a lift with the wheel fully downwards and I believe the rest of us measure it with the wheel on the ground.

Spyder Garage

Hi. I have been doing more digging and the way Can am measure tension and the rest of us is different - CAN AM measures the belt tension with the bike up on a lift with the wheel fully downwards and I believe the rest of us measure it with the wheel on the ground.
    Myself, I measure belt tension with the suspension at full droop and wheel off ground. I use the TSB specs and have essentially no vibration on our 2014 RTS.

Spyder Garage

This is the first bike that in 50 years of owning them has had a belt so I expected a totally silent noise from chain driven bikes but - when I bought the Spyder it came with a mountain of dealer paperwork (as the pervious owner knew how to wash it but nothing else) so did not expect the belt to make so much noise - it sounded like it was tearing itself apart and squeaking on the front cog. After adjusting it now sounds like this (video) SILENCE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Myself, I measure belt tension with the suspension at full droop and wheel off ground. I use the TSB specs and have essentially no vibration on our 2014 RTS.
    Yes, they vary, of 3 RT's owned only one has vibrated no matter what tension. The one that vibrates has been improved considerably by careful adjustments but the vibes at 73mph when power is applied is still there occasionally. This bit I'm not certain of but it always seems to me to be worse in a strong crosswind.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.