Spyder Garage

Default replacing dess antenna

i am going to replace my dess module and antenna this weekend, not ignition switch just antenna, i have a manual and read about the module learning procedure, but it is not clear to me if i can just change the antenna without any learning or re-set, it has a lot about changing the antenna along with the switch but i can't find anything about just the antenna, has anybody changed just the antenna that can tell me for sure? not just a guess but for sure, i will replace module first and make sure its a go before messing with the antenna.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What relearning Procedure? I have changed the Module and came right up when key was turned on. Antenna would be the same. Antenna is a bit more involved removing . I think I could do mine without removing the fairing. Removing the headlight helps a lot along with the frunk as you have to plug it into the DESS module. But I would remove the pins from the connector to pull the wires back to the module. Unless your plans are moving someplace else.

Spyder Garage

just reading the manual it has a key re-learn procedure it says you have to do when replacing the module, insert 1st key-turn on-wait for next on screen-turn off insert 2nd key -turn on-wait for success on screen -turn off- run for over 2 minutes to test- again just reading the manual, will re-read today, my parts are supposed to be here today

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What Spyder do you have?

NOTE: Since the D.E.S.S. key codes are stored in the ECM, It is not necessary to reprogram the keys when replacing the D.E.S.S. module. 4. Turn ignition key to ON and ensure key is recognized and D.E.S.S. system is functioning properly.

Spyder Garage

2015 rs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well Good Luck..

Hope your problems get resolved

Spyder Garage

There is no key learning procedure on a 2015 RS. The manual must be wrong. As trikermutha said. The key codes are stored in the ECM. That's true of all 2014 and later models.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

i replaced antenna and module today, the manual is either wrong or confusing to me because it didn't need programed for either one, my manual is like someone with a.d.d. wrote it anyway, sooo many pages and it jumps around a lot, anyway the frunk is easy, took the top 2 side pieces off and 4 10mm on top and 2 on bottom and a few connectors, i left the release connected and just moved it over, the antenna was a pita mostly from the little switch cover bolts, 2 8mm way up inside it, i took the whole handlebar assembly loose 4 big allens, and the rubber piece under it with 2 atv clips, got the switch cover off and took switch loose, then just turn top trim on switch and lift off and pull antenna off, taped a wire to end dess antenna wire and pulled it up, it goes through down to the dess module plug, it has one zip tie in under you have to cut, taped the end of new dess module to my wire and pulled the end back down and connected it. i ran it for a while between changing both and it seems fine, time will tell though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    What Spyder do you have?

NOTE: Since the D.E.S.S. key codes are stored in the ECM, It is not necessary to reprogram the keys when replacing the D.E.S.S. module. 4. Turn ignition key to ON and ensure key is recognized and D.E.S.S. system is functioning properly.
    When I had the D.E.S.S module replaced under warranty, the can-am dealership reprogrammed the keys. I did post the info on my thread.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    When I had the D.E.S.S module replaced under warranty, the can-am dealership reprogrammed the keys. I did post the info on my thread.

Deanna
    Shouldn't have to unless you got a new ignition switch?? Then the ECM would not recognize your new keys.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
    i replaced antenna and module today, the manual is either wrong or confusing to me because it didn't need programed for either one, my manual is like someone with a.d.d. wrote it anyway, sooo many pages and it jumps around a lot, anyway the frunk is easy, took the top 2 side pieces off and 4 10mm on top and 2 on bottom and a few connectors, i left the release connected and just moved it over, the antenna was a pita mostly from the little switch cover bolts, 2 8mm way up inside it, i took the whole handlebar assembly loose 4 big allens, and the rubber piece under it with 2 atv clips, got the switch cover off and took switch loose, then just turn top trim on switch and lift off and pull antenna off, taped a wire to end dess antenna wire and pulled it up, it goes through down to the dess module plug, it has one zip tie in under you have to cut, taped the end of new dess module to my wire and pulled the end back down and connected it. i ran it for a while between changing both and it seems fine, time will tell though.
    This might help I had the D.E.S.S module/ignition switch replaced under warranty,( i have a 2014 RTS-SE6) the dealership reprogrammed the keys. This was all done in 2015. Since then I have not had the D.E.S.S error show up.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Shouldn't have to unless you got a new ignition switch?? Then the ECM would not recognize your new keys.
    The dealership installed a new ignition switch, in 2015. So they reprogrammed the keys.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover