Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Spark Plug Upgrade

NGK-CR8EIX-3.jpg

I know it isn't on too many minds yet. But I've been researching an upgrade spark plug for the Ryker models. Surprising to me that Can-Am would use a rather mundane, old school spark plug for this machine. Granted, the plugs used are about 1/2 the price of an Iridium IX plug. But still, what's a few bucks when it comes to performance!

I have not had a chance to try these yet. But frankly, I would not be surprised if they give better throttle response, better power and better fuel mileage (much appreciated). Not to mention the increase in longevity. These IX plugs made a good difference in the Spyder. So there is potential, at least, for yet 1 more upgrade option. I'm going to give these IX plugs a whirl as soon as I get the chance. I have no doubt that they will perform at least as well as the OEM plugs. If all they offer is a 65% longer life, that's not bad!

If there is someone out there that has some miles on their Ryker and would like to be a test pilot for these spark plugs, let me know. I'll send you a set to try out. It's always best to have an independent voice rather than just the guy selling the product saying they are a good idea.

Iridium is extremely hard and resists wear better than any other material used in spark plugs. It also allows for an extremely small center electrode which helps to maximize the electrical energy by making it easier for the spark to jump the gap.

As always. My kits will include Thermal Paste and Dielectric Grease for the install. Though not absolutely essential, they will increase the effectiveness and longevity of the ignition components.

Here is a comparison of the specs. between the OEM and Iridium IX spark plugs. I've highlighted the differences in the spec table below. As always. You can enlarge the picture by hovering your mouse over it or clicking on it.

---------------------OEM Spark Plug------------------------------------ Iridium IX Spark Plug

NGK-CR8EB-1.jpgNGK-CR8EB-2.jpgNGK-CR8EIX-1.jpgNGK-CR8EIX-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-29-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If Can Am utilized every upgrade and mod that has been suggested since the Ryker came out, I suppose they would find it necessary to charge you Spyder prices. I suppose that 40mpg and 100mph is not enough for some, but I have not seen an instance where I have needed to drive over 100mph. Like many, I have been tinkering with my Ryker to "personalize" it for me/myself. The Ryker is a basic, blank canvass that is perfect for modifying as one would like. Try out the other spark plugs and let us know how it works for you. I would only be interested IF the change would give me a longer lifespan on the vehicle. If the price is double the OEM price, and you do not see significant performance increase, I personally would not see the point in changing from the suggested plugs. But, that is just my opinion. I have seen some on here that want to super charge their Ryker for some reason. My Ryker will go as fast as my Harley, but that doesn't matter. The only speed I need is passing speed. Guess I am just slowing down in my senior years. Not quite ready to have dirt shoveled in my face.

Spyder Garage

Default Remember these....

Grandfather was the first Champion Spark plug rep for Peru back when and sold a ton of these type of plugs. Before I left in the 80's we were assembling Bosh plugs for most of South america first importing ceramics from Brazil later baking our own. There have been a lot of improvement in this area but you have to keep the other parts up with the advancements. Ron also has the plug wires to effectively deliver the current to the plugs. When I switched to both on the RS there was a significant change in starting and performance....

873216.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The Ryker 900 & Rally IX Spark Plug kit will not set you back that much. $27.95 delivered. The Ryker 600 will be $18.95 delivered.

The 3 spark plug set (OEM) for the 900 will cost you around $18.00 if you get them at a good price and shipped for free, no tax. Of course this is without the thermal paste and dielectric grease I include.

$10.00 isn't all that big a bite. Especially when you consider the OEM plugs are good for 30k and the IX plugs are good for 50k. Though I don't know if I'd go that far on either one.

Factory maintenance schedule calls for the OEM spark plugs to get changed every 12k. So the Iridium IX should be good for at least 20k. That right there means the Iridium IX plugs are actually less expensive than the OEM plugs. And this does not take into consideration the nearly certain improvements that the IX plugs can deliver.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-02-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

hi, and is it difficult to change the Spark Plug on a Ryker 900 ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sonsofanarchy View Post
    I have not done this yet. I plan to do it tomorrow, but we'll see. Hopefully, it's a lot easier than on the Spyder models where it tends to be a real project.

I will post if I get this done and let everyone know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sonsofanarchy View Post
    Very easy to get to.

Spyder Garage

We changed out the spark plugs on the Ryker Rally today. Not a bad job at all. I will list instructions when I get time. The front plug is a bit tight getting it past a cross brace. But it isn't a real problem. Goes back in easier than it comes out. BRP could have moved that brace even 1/8" rearward and made a big difference. Still, an easy job for most. That, my friends, is good news!

Spyder Garage

Have a set on the way. Worth a try. I'll let you know about MPG

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was doing some other work and removed the glovebox/frunk liner and the spark plugs look very accessible that way.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I was doing some other work and removed the glovebox/frunk liner and the spark plugs look very accessible that way.
    Exactly! Very easy to access the spark plugs on the Ryker. Refreshing... Isn't it? Whether by accident or engineered in. It is appreciated BRP!

I do need a volunteer with a 600 Ryker as I do not have one of these to test. If you have a 600 Ryker, ride enough to tell if there is improvement or not, will install the plugs right away and promise to post your feedback here on Spyderlovers. Let me know. I'll send you an upgrade kit to test.

As always. I make no requirements on any feedback posted other than it be honest and designed to inform. Positive or negative, I'm just looking for the truth.

Spyder Garage

I have a 600 with over 2000 miles now and I would be willing to try it out. I am located in Missouri about 15 minutes from Lamonster Garage!

Spyder Garage

Any report on how these do on the 900?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mb101 View Post
    Any report on how these do on the 900?
    I have not sold a great number of these spark plug upgrade kits to Ryker owners yet. But those that I have heard back from say they noticed an improvement. Hopefully, one of them will respond to this thread. I know my Ryker runs better with these spark plugs installed. And my fuel mileage improved a little as well.

Spyder Garage

I agree the Iridium's would last longer. If that is the goal, go for it.
    But every bike I've ever put the XXXEK in has responded positively.
    BMW switched mid year moving from the common single electrode to the EK because the high compression and lean mix would have a dead hole in the twin.
    My ST1300 had noticable improvement in MPG and throttle response.
    YMMV, but the CR8EK should be on the list to try as well. NGK3478_d.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    I agree the Iridium's would last longer. If that is the goal, go for it.
    But every bike I've ever put the XXXEK in has responded positively.
    BMW switched mid year moving from the common single electrode to the EK because the high compression and lean mix would have a dead hole in the twin.
    My ST1300 had noticable improvement in MPG and throttle response.
    YMMV, but the CR8EK should be on the list to try as well. NGK3478_d.jpg
    I did consider this type of multi-electrode spark plug. I have not tried them because of what NGK states about the EK design.

According to NGK. This side firing type of spark plug is designed primarily to address unconventional combustion chamber designs, (not present in our Ryker or the Spyder engines). Basically making it protrude a shorter distance into the combustion chamber for clearance issues. The multiple ground electrodes are meant to compensate for the higher rate of wear with this type of design, thus extending longevity, similar to other spark plug options.

If I were going to go this route. I would get the CR8EKPA (6985). It has a superior Platinum center electrode instead of the copper electrode provided in the other versions.

Here is what NGK says;

Some engine designs require the spark plugs have the ground electrode placed to the side of the center electrode rather than below as on a traditional plug. This may be for combustion chamber design as in the case of a rotary engine, or a surface gap design as used in leaner air/fuel ratio’s on industrial engines.

The side electrode design tends to wear faster than a traditional plug. Erosion at these points creates a larger gap between the center and ground electrodes, causing plug misfire. Thus, if the engine design requires a side discharge plug, more ground electrodes extend plug life.

It is important to note that multi-ground does not mean multi-spark, there will still only be one spark at a time.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-15-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We changed out the spark plugs on the Ryker Rally today. Not a bad job at all. I will list instructions when I get time. The front plug is a bit tight getting it past a cross brace. But it isn't a real problem. Goes back in easier than it comes out. BRP could have moved that brace even 1/8" rearward and made a big difference. Still, an easy job for most. That, my friends, is good news!
    from "CVT Belt Life"
    Sorry about the small print. Being new to this I have no idea on how to transfer threads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    from "CVT Belt Life"
    Sorry about the small print. Being new to this I have no idea on how to transfer threads.
    You don't need to transfer the thread, you only need to show people where it is so they can read it, and a link will do that! To add a link to another thread in your post, simply:

1). open the thread you want to link (or the particular post in that thread);
    2). highlight & copy the entire address as it's shown in your browser's address bar (up the top of the page);
    3). then open the thread & post you want to put it in; put your cursor where you want the link to go;
    4). click on that spot until the little 'operation choice bubble' opens up and select Paste. That'll paste the contents of your clipboard, which should be the browser address you just copied, into the spot where you've placed your cursor;
    5). then finish typing up whatever you want to say in your post (if you haven't already ) & submit or save your new post as per normal! The platform'll do all the rest, and it'll appear like this:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-CVT-belt-life

Anyone who wants to read it simply clicks on the link & it'll either open a new window or change the window they're in to the new thread (which of those two it actually does depends on what they've set as their default choice! ) where they can read away to their hearts content!

Eeeeaaassssy As!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You don't need to transfer the thread, you only need to show people where it is so they can read it, and a link will do that! To add a link to another thread in your post, simply:

1). open the thread you want to link (or the particular post in that thread);
    2). highlight & copy the entire address as it's shown in your browser's address bar (up the top of the page);
    3). then open the thread & post you want to put it in; put your cursor where you want the link to go;
    4). click on that spot until the little 'operation choice bubble' opens up and select Paste. That'll paste the contents of your clipboard, which should be the browser address you just copied, into the spot where you've placed your cursor;
    5). then finish typing up whatever you want to say in your post (if you haven't already ) & submit or save your new post as per normal! The platform'll do all the rest, and it'll appear like this:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-CVT-belt-life

Anyone who wants to read it simply clicks on the link & it'll either open a new window or change the window they're in to the new thread (which of those two it actually does depends on what they've set as their default choice! ) where they can read away to their hearts content!

Eeeeaaassssy As!
    Thanks for your help. I felt the subject got somewhat off track. That's the reason for the "transfer"

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I purchased the NGK4218, intending to install at 12,000 miles, but may do sooner.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...85#post1517985
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

A few customers have said they struggled with the front cylinder spark plug on the 900. It really isn't that difficult. But it is frustrating knowing that if that frame cross member were moved just slightly rearward. Or, just put a depression or flat spot above the coil would have done the trick. It is an unnecessary aggravation. But still, it's not all that bad. And, as mentioned, it goes back in easier than it came out. The rear 2 plugs are very easy. Do those first and it will give you a better idea of what is required with the front one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A few customers have said they struggled with the front cylinder spark plug on the 900. It really isn't that difficult. But it is frustrating knowing that if that frame cross member were moved just slightly rearward. Or, just put a depression or flat spot above the coil would have done the trick. It is an unnecessary aggravation. But still, it's not all that bad. And, as mentioned, it goes back in easier than it came out. The rear 2 plugs are very easy. Do those first and it will give you a better idea of what is required with the front one.
    As I was fighting this problem it did cross my mind to create a flat spot on that cross member. I only have a flat file that was too fine for the job. Maybe if I had a Dremel I would have done it. But consequences? And didn't know it was a solid piece or not.
    Some Rykers may have a little more clearance at this area due to dimension stack up of all parts assembled leading to this area. As if maybe all/most parts are on the plus side of dimensional tolerance it would be a no go (like mine) If parts are on minus side of tolerance may a go but tight fit. Sorry about trying to be a Techno Weenie. Raising the clam shell does take more time but less frustrating. Just plan on doing this job when it's raining anyway. (nothing better to do)

Spyder Garage

I put a set of Ron's iridium plugs in my rally last month. I did remove the Frunk to provide access and unclipped the ignition wire from each stick coil before removal. However, I do not remember the front plug being particularly problematic. Mine is an early 2019 model; maybe I just got lucky.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Is the luck in the Draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    I put a set of Ron's iridium plugs in my rally last month. I did remove the Frunk to provide access and unclipped the ignition wire from each stick coil before removal. However, I do not remember the front plug being particularly problematic. Mine is an early 2019 model; maybe I just got lucky.
    I think you're just lucky. Go by some Lotto tickets. My Ryker was purchased mid July 2019, but the build date was 10/18. I did get lucky with the original wheel nuts though. Maybe there is something to my theory on dimensional stack up. Was yours built on 1st or 2nd shift?........
    BTW I originally claimed 40mpg with new plugs after an 80 mile ride the other day. Today I did 128 miles, with a higher speed for 17 miles on highway. I finished with 39 mpg avg. I think that's more reasonable, compared to my 37.5 mpg avg. before the upgraded plugs were installed. Used ECO mode on both rides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I think you're just lucky. Go by some Lotto tickets. My Ryker was purchased mid July 2019, but the build date was 10/18. I did get lucky with the original wheel nuts though. Maybe there is something to my theory on dimensional stack up. Was yours built on 1st or 2nd shift?........
    BTW I originally claimed 40mpg with new plugs after an 80 mile ride the other day. Today I did 128 miles, with a higher speed for 17 miles on highway. I finished with 39 mpg avg. I think that's more reasonable, compared to my 37.5 mpg avg. before the upgraded plugs were installed. Used ECO mode on both rides.
    Mine was likely produced around the same time yours was because I purchased on Jan 9, 2019. I am still not seeing the fuel mileage you are getting (I wish I was) but I did get 34 mpg on my last run. Most of my riding is 55-75 mph and that may explain some of the difference.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow