Thread: Belt Damage

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Damage

Just found this damage on my Drive Belt. What is the general consense? Should it Go or Stay. There is no damage on the inside, nothing goes through to the outside but it is close to the edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I would replace as that is very close to the edge. If it spreads to the edge then in all likelihood the belt will snap.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I would keep an eye on it, i would ride it unless it starts getting bigger or you are planning a trip of your life.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would agree looks close to the edge and probably would replace it. Take a closer look at it along with the sprockets for debrie/damage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donhy View Post
    I would keep an eye on it, i would ride it unless it starts getting bigger or you are planning a trip of your life.
    Inspect the belt & both sprockets carefully for any further damage, and if all looks OK, ride it carefuuly for the next 100 miles or so & re-inspect to see if there's been any change for the worse.... If not, ride on!

These belts are meant to be 'self-healing' to some extent, and from what we can see in the pic, it doesn't really look like that's a whole heap of damage! I've seen m/cycle drive belts score damage a lot worse than that continue to work well for many thousands more miles!! Of course, there's also been one or two that didn't last much longer at all, but I'd like to think they were more 'the exceptions that prove the rule' than anything else...

But it is your Spyder & your decision, altho I guess you'll never know unless you try it & see?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Keep an eye on it. Ryde on.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Wind the belt until the split is in a straight section then put some superglue into it. Ride for a while and then check it out.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Inspect the belt & both sprockets carefully for any further damage, and if all looks OK, ride it carefuuly for the next 100 miles or so & re-inspect to see if there's been any change for the worse.... If not, ride on!

These belts are meant to be 'self-healing' to some extent, and from what we can see in the pic, it doesn't really look like that's a whole heap of damage! I've seen m/cycle drive belts score damage a lot worse than that continue to work well for many thousands more miles!! Of course, there's also been one or two that didn't last much longer at all, but I'd like to think they were more 'the exceptions that prove the rule' than anything else...

But it is your Spyder & your decision, altho I guess you'll never know unless you try it & see?!
    I agree with what is stated above. My mechanic found 2 spots in my belt at the last service, and he suggested that I keep an eye on it and don't over think it, unless I am panning a long trip. I will be changing it out before next riding season, because I am planning a 6 week cross country trip. I also decided against putting a belt tensioner on until after I replace the belt. The mechanic told me to leave the small pebble in the belt, because trying to push it out might not work, and would damage the belt more. With it embeded like it is, it is still not damaging the pulley, so he said just leave it alone and just watch it every so often. Now, 3500 miles later, it is still good.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I put the belt guard on my 2017 RTS after replacing the belt due to a small stone tearing up the belt. Now have 23,000 plus miles with no problem. It is the missing part for the Spyder

Spyder Garage

I personally don't like the look. It should be okay for short jaunts, but I wouldn't take any trips with it.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have followed this damage for two weeks and about 400 miles. It isn't changing, but a new belt on the way. I agree with the last poster. I have postponed a longer trip until the new one is installed. The sprockets are fine and the teeth are undamaged, but I don't
    want to be too far from home. Thanks for your comments.

Spyder Garage

Yea best to replace that belt that cut is quite wide and when the belt goes it's never in a convent spot... I know.

JT

Spyder Garage

I have a belt that looks like that on my 2014 RT (stone in the middle of the belt took it out) It happen in 2017. I still have the same belt on with 62,000 miles on the RT. All still good.

Spyder Garage

I watched the 2020RT video. Are the saying its ok to spin the rear wheel in gravel? I wonder. BTW the new Belt arrived yesterday, so... a new adventure.
    The last comment is so I don't get called for a thread hijack. RIDE SAFE

Spyder Garage

azprince, I've spun my back wheel on my '13 RTL on many a gravel roads, hasn't hurt a thing, still have original belt though I have added the missing belt guard just to be safe.
    I'm not sure where anyone got the idea you couldn't or shouldn't do that, lots of spyder riders live down gravel/dirt roads and their Spyders do just fine.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Next week Im taking a trip down to the Smokies and Im going to ride 18 miles down Heintooga Round Bottom rd which is dirt and gravel between Maggie Valley and Cherokee.Ill be checking my belt a few times and will let everyone know if there is a problem.I do have the missing belt guard.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    azprince, I've spun my back wheel on my '13 RTL on many a gravel roads, hasn't hurt a thing, still have original belt though I have added the missing belt guard just to be safe.
    I'm not sure where anyone got the idea you couldn't or shouldn't do that, lots of spyder riders live down gravel/dirt roads and their Spyders do just fine.
    I have a missing belt guard too; for What it's worth.

Spyder Garage

FWIW..... Picking up a stone in the belt feels like the rear tire running over a 2X4. When I got mine (pre missing belt guard) I got on the communicator and asked my wife (who was following me) what I had run over......? Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I replaced the belt last week and it took all of two hours. Not nearly as difficult as I expected. I could find no video to help; really not needed.

Spyder Garage

my spyder had less than 200 miles coming up my drive which is gravel, heard a loud pop. a few days later i found what had caused the pop undoubtably i had picked up a piece of gravel between the belt and rear pulley it had cut the belt on the edge and a little tear. first thought well there goes 300. dollars. i took a pen and outlined the tear where i could monitor it's progression. long story short, everything is still within the block i outlined and 7,760 miles later still good.