Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Magic mirrors or not... Really?

I am doing my first oil change either this weekend or next on my 2017 RT limited. I am also installing a new set of spyderpops turn signal mirror indicators. I have never tried to remove the mirrors. I watched all the U-Tube videos, have the ramps, have the oil kit and signals. I have no concerns about how to do either installations. Been ripping snowmobiles apart for many years. Very straight forward. I have only read horror stories about once the mirror is taken off with broken clips, not tight fitting back etc. I have also read it is not a problem. I have read magic mirrors work flawless, I have read they mess up the gauges. I have read that only use on the bottom and factory clips on top. Should I simply purchase magic mirrors while I have them off? I am not looking to add anymore accesories and only remove panels if needed for oil change and to clean the darn parking brake switch as needed. Another question I can’t seem to find and I would like answered, I use the travel cover quit frequently. The half cover that goes over the shield, bars and mirrors and over the back of the back. It is a Nelson Riggs and it is pretty tight fit. Fits like a glove perfect no problems. Will the cover pull the mirrors off if it starts blowing while in a parking lot?

So........

Magic mirrors do I need them or not? Seriously will the mirrors ever go back on tight with the old clips?

Do they really work or not? Do they effect the gas and temp gauges?

Will they work with traveling covers or will they be pulled off?

Spyder Garage

I have them and give them a big thumbs up ..! Now, to be completely honest I did go back later and reinstall just the top factory (male/female) clip. But the other two are the magnets..!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I am doing my first oil change either this weekend or next on my 2017 RT limited. I am also installing a new set of spyderpops turn signal mirror indicators. I have never tried to remove the mirrors. I watched all the U-Tube videos, have the ramps, have the oil kit and signals. I have no concerns about how to do either installations. Been ripping snowmobiles apart for many years. Very straight forward. I have only read horror stories about once the mirror is taken off with broken clips, not tight fitting back etc. I have also read it is not a problem. I have read magic mirrors work flawless, I have read they mess up the gauges. I have read that only use on the bottom and factory clips on top. Should I simply purchase magic mirrors while I have them off? I am not looking to add anymore accesories and only remove panels if needed for oil change and to clean the darn parking brake switch as needed. Another question I can’t seem to find and I would like answered, I use the travel cover quit frequently. The half cover that goes over the shield, bars and mirrors and over the back of the back. It is a Nelson Riggs and it is pretty tight fit. Fits like a glove perfect no problems. Will the cover pull the mirrors off if it starts blowing while in a parking lot?

So........

Magic mirrors do I need them or not? Seriously will the mirrors ever go back on tight with the old clips?

Mr. Wmoater

I have a set with the 2 magnets on the bottom, kept the OEM mount at the top. I killed 2 of the OEM clips (bottom) removing the mirrors the first 3 times. The magnetic mirrors solve that problem. You'll find yourself removing the mirrors more often than you ever expected. I use a half cover when travelling, never had a mirror drop off while putting it on or taking it off. I do have the lanyards installed to catch them if they get knocked off, never used them. I ride a 2018 RTL and it has not affected any of my gauges or electronics that I can tell.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

So........

Magic mirrors do I need them or not? Seriously will the mirrors ever go back on tight with the old clips? Yes and they are for real! Install them and forget the OEM clips.

Do they really work or not? Do they effect the gas and temp gauges? Yes they work flawlessly and did not affect my dash what so ever.

My cover works fine and never had any accidental looseness.
    You won't regret having them. Much better than the OEM mounts.
    Magic Mirror Tether Cable Installed.jpg

Mirror Gap With Magnets Installed.jpg
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Buy the Magics so you've got then on hand & then do this oil change, and after you've taken the mirrors off, check out the OE clips etc, you can make up your own mind to fit or not. If you don't want to fit them, advertise them here in the For Sale by Owner threads & I'm sure someone'll take them off your hands; you might even get most of your money back! But I reckon you'll keep them once you fit them!

Here in Oz at the time, the major driver for developing the Magics in the first place was how flimsy the top OE clips were & their tendency to break during mirror removal, leaving you with perpetually floppy mirrors (or mirrors that fell off!) from there on & effectively making the OE top clips single use items that pretty much had to be replaced almost every time you took the tupperware off!! Maybe you lot got different top clips, but here, the original Magics were developed as 3 magnets per mirror in order to resolve the multitude of top clip failure issues & totally remove any future issues with removing & refitting the mirrors. Using the 2 magnets only was something that didn't become viable (here anyway) until after BRP had significantly improved the top clips; but even so, just like the bottom clips, the upper clips still remain a weak point & an 'eventual fail' item that'll very likely need replacement at some time in order to keep your mirrors firmly mounted. That eventual replacement might be a 'sometime in the future' thing for you right now, so you might choose to fit just the bottom 2 magnets for now & deal with the top clips when they eventually fail, if they fail while you still own the Spyder.... or you could resolve that problem before it occurs.....

As to the Magics working under the Travel Cover, they've been fine under my BRP travel cover (and mine fits even tighter than most) without bothering the Magics ever! Cos I've got a rack on the trunk, I hafta pull the cover extra tight over the windscreen & mirror end to get the other end to fit over the rack.... and once fitted, theatcover has been subjected to a LOT of stress & aggravation (howling gales, cats jumping on it, snow building up on it, people leaning on it, & heaps more!) but my Magics have never even shown the slightest inclination towards letting the mirrors come off or allowing the cover to flap under any of the fairly significant stresses.

But the mirrors are now sooo much easier to take off & fit back on whenever you want to do that! I have been known to push the Spyder around by the mirrors (well, the base of them, anyway ) in a way that has all those RT owners without the Magics to absolutely cringe, then I pull the mirrors off & put them back on again rapidly a few times just for the pure enjoyment of watching their faces when they see how easy it is & how well they are held once on!

Go On, Buy the Damn Bi... errr, Magic Mirror Mounts, you Know you really want to! And if you do, I sincerely doubt you'll ever regret it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-29-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I waited for a couple of years before buying Magic Mirrors, figuring they were not really needed. Finally bought them this spring and have kicked myself repeatedly for not getting them sooner. Do you REALLY need them? No. Will they make most maintenance quicker and easier? Absolutely! If you install them and find out that it is affecting a gauge, just turn the magnet around. They are a quick and easy install, just heed the warning to not let the magnets slam together. Nothing hard about them and I feel were a VERY worthwhile purchase.
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 08-30-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Grammar
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

We have them on ours and sell tons of them. Only way to go. The mirrors are loose on half o f the RT's that come in that we work on.
    I literally install them on just about every bike that we take the mirrors of off.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

When my 2014 arrived from AK, the movers broke the left hand side mirror off the mounts.

I had Lamonster Garage do the fix with magic mirrors. Perfect solution. A couple thousand miles later, no problems.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am also a fan of the Magic Mirrors, I have owned two RT's and wish these were available a long time ago. You will find yourself wanting to add more accessories because the mirrors are easy to remove. The Magic Mirrors have strong magnets and you will not have to worry about your cover causing the mirrors to come loose. I traveled about 8,000 miles with my Magic Mirrors and never had a problem with the gauges. I also had the first version when they were sold with 3 magnets on each side.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

There are at least two brands of mirror magnets. Magic Mirrors and Magnet mirrors. I have the Magnets. I believe they are the same or very, very similar. One of the benefits not previously mentioned here is the mirrors are held tightly with no vibration. I didn't realize just how much my mirrors were wiggling until I installed the magnets. Now my mirror vision is no longer blurry..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Yes!!!! Do It!!
    I have a set with the 2 magnets on the bottom and original top pin..

Spyder Garage

I went a year and then made the jump!!! You will not regret getting them, trust me!!! Your mirror shake will for the most be gone, and when it come to take them off, you will smile!!! Good luck with the other work, it's a piece of cake to do all that stuff, taking the panels offs the hardest part of the job!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Just installed them. I have arthritis in my hands, so banging on the mirrors was torture. Love the Magic mirrors.
    Ordered them from Lamonster on Sunday and received them Wednesday! Who could ask for better service?
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

I have the magic mirrors on my 2014RTS-SE6 and I like them.

I have not had any problems, these were installed last year. I installed them my self ( my significant other Adrien helped me.).

Get the magic mirrors.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

About 4000mi with mine on,no issues whatsoever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So........

They are a brilliantly simple solution to a problem with the mounts BRP created.

They are strong enough that you can push the 17 RTL along flat ground (not that it is my preferred method of moving the RTL) , and have a small wire loop that ensures they don't fall away if something severe happens (e.g. a damn 1 pound bird strike to the mirror at 65 mph that could have flown into a huge paddock but no, it chose the few inches of air space occupied by my mirror... sorry I digress )

Mine didn't interfere with the gauges, and I've read about it on the forums but not seen any of my cohorts having an issue.

They are a top investment.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only problem I had with magic mirrors were the dealers. I could not buy the set of four magnets. They only sold all six stating some BS story about liability. So, I made my own. Making your own is very easy and saves at least 90+% of the cost dealers sell them for. Do a search here on this site and you'll find all the information on parts, prices and instructions on how to DIY. I've had mine now for well over 10K miles and no issues at all. Had my travel cover on and off numerous times with no issues.

Spyder Garage

I bought the magnetic mirrors from Tricled. They work great but the magnets are so big (dia.) that I have to loosen the magnets so that I can remove the top panels. They don't affect the instruments.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I think I am convinced. I will be placing an order today. Thanks again for your honest feedback, Especially with the cover. Again rain today at noon. So the cover is on and I feel better it will work with my needs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Here in Oz at the time, the major driver for developing the Magics in the first place was how flimsy the top OE clips were & their tendency to break during mirror removal, leaving you with perpetually floppy mirrors (or mirrors that fell off!) from there on & effectively making the OE top clips single use items that pretty much had to be replaced almost every time you took the tupperware off!! Maybe you lot got different top clips, but here, the original Magics were developed as 3 magnets per mirror in order to resolve the multitude of top clip failure issues & totally remove any future issues with removing & refitting the mirrors. Using the 2 magnets only was something that didn't become viable (here anyway) until after BRP had significantly improved the top clips;
    Mr Peter,

On my 2018 the top clip is not anything like the bottom 2 clips. The upper mounting pin has a groove, and the top retention device is more like a plastic washer with a keyhole slot that slips down over the mounting pin. I used the 2 magnet system because on my bike at least, the top mount resists popping loose with downward, forward, or rearward force more so than the magnets. I simply bump the mirror upward and slip the upper pin out of the keyhole to dismount the mirror.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

That's the top clip that was giving us all the grief - the parts of the placcy 'keyhole' thing that went over the mounting pin would break out, leaving nothing to hold the top of the mirror onto the mounting pin.... THAT was the problem - very few of those top keyhole things ever lasted long enough for anyone here to have issues with the bottom clips!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Is there a similar product/solution that would work for my 2016 ST?
    I've had both mirrors "loosen" after hitting a particularly bad bump or pothole, usually from the bottom, and while they still pop back on, I'm afraid this may not last.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

After I installed my Magic Mirrors, I went back to removing all the panels called for in the oil change. I had previously not been removing the upper front panel (the one with the 2 pins that go into the lower panel). You can remove 2 of the screws and lift it up enough to release the pins from the panel underneath and remove it. For me in could be very frustrating to remove that panel and get it and all its tabs where they belong. Now I can remove the mirrors with no fear, the upper, the lower panel and when its time to replace the lower panel I can do it very easily. Great reduction in frustration and just a little more time in taking off that panel. MY mirrors don't affect my gauges but then I did remove the factory gauges which never worked right anyway, and put in aftermarket gauges which don't seem to be affected. Very happy with my mirrors. BRP should have done something like this to begin with.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I put them on my 2013 RT and the gauges work fine. I did take some thin thermostat wire and make some tethers incase a bad bump bounced them free but I suspect if a bump is bad enough for the mirrors to come off I will have wanted a tether on me too.

Spyder Garage

Do you need magic mirrors? No.
    Are they worth it? Absolutely.
    I did accidently break one of my clips and rode with a shaky mirror for a while until I bought the magic mirrors. I also use a half cover when traveling and it has never pulled the mirror off; not even in a thunderstorm. I have hit hard enough bumps that I ripped off the "skid plate" panel underneath but my mirrors never moved. I have not had any issue with my gauges either.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors