Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Training Course

BRP in conjunction with some of the colleges in Ontario (other provinces also???) offers a Spyder traininng course recognized by the MTO (Ministry of Transportation Ontario). My wife and I just completed and passed the course this past Saturday. The course gives my wife a motortricycle license. Me, I already have my M license so nothing but a certificate for me. I was just wondering if anybody else has taken this course, where they took it and what they thought about it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2019 at 04:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Did I understand that correctly, you do a course of several hours and then you are allowed to ride a motorcycle? Here in Germany you have to complete 16 hours of theory and at least 24 hours of driving in a driving school (one driving lesson lasts 45 minutes). Then you have to take a theoretical and a practical driving exam (with a state driving examiner). The whole thing costs about 1,600 US Dollar and takes between two weeks and a few months.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    Did I understand that correctly, you do a course of several hours and then you are allowed to ride a motorcycle? Here in Germany you have to complete 16 hours of theory and at least 24 hours of driving in a driving school (one driving lesson lasts 45 minutes). Then you have to take a theoretical and a practical driving exam (with a state driving examiner). The whole thing costs about 1,600 US Dollar and takes between two weeks and a few months.
    He does not get a license to ride a motorcycle but a motortricycle (trike).
    Here in Switzerland, a car license driver already allows you to ride a trike. No course or exam required.
    Ride safe!

Spyder Garage

Hello Bernard,
    I missed the motortricycle , thanks for the hint. Also in Germany you can drive a trike without a previous course with your motorcycle or car driving licence.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

BRP is offering the courses all over the US and, from social media posts, it seems that they are well attended and liked. With the BRP subsidy the classes seem to cost from $50 to $100

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

They were $125.00 last year @ Fox power sports in Grand Rapids
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Fortunately, for everyone driving the roads and highways in Ontario, taking and passing this course does not entitle you to your motorcycle license. You do get a motortricycle licence but that does not allow you to drive motorcycles. In order to drive motorcycles you must complete and pass the motorcycle training course/MTO motorcycle driver exam. I have had my motorcycle license since 1973. I did the smart thing and took a great motorcycle training course way back then and if I hadn’t I surely would have failed. My wife had never done anything like this before but still passed this course. Everyone in our class passed yet we all feel that the course was far too short and low on riding time. I’m fine due to my experience on bikes but the others just don’t feel confident and safe enough to drive on the road, hence the reason I posted this thread. This course cost just under $200 as a special price from BRP. Regular price is supposed to be $509. Definitely not worth that value. New riders-to-be need to know if there is a better/more involved course available to them. So is there anyone out there that can vouch for a better, more involved course?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deadass View Post
    Fortunately, for everyone driving the roads and highways in Ontario, taking and passing this course does not entitle you to your motorcycle license. You do get a motortricycle licence but that does not allow you to drive motorcycles. In order to drive motorcycles you must complete and pass the motorcycle training course/MTO motorcycle driver exam. I have had my motorcycle license since 1973. I did the smart thing and took a great motorcycle training course way back then and if I hadn’t I surely would have failed. My wife had never done anything like this before but still passed this course. Everyone in our class passed yet we all feel that the course was far too short and low on riding time. I’m fine due to my experience on bikes but the others just don’t feel confident and safe enough to drive on the road, hence the reason I posted this thread. This course cost just under $200 as a special price from BRP. Regular price is supposed to be $509. Definitely not worth that value. New riders-to-be need to know if there is a better/more involved course available to them. So is there anyone out there that can vouch for a better, more involved course?
    Your requirements in Canada are a lot different than anywhere in the US. The courses in the US are designed to meet the license requirements in each state. For instance CA does not require an M endorsement for Spyders so the BRP subsidized class is only 4 hours, in TX the class is 12 hours.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deadass View Post
    BRP in conjunction with some of the colleges in Ontario (other provinces also???) offers a Spyder traininng course recognized by the MTO (Ministry of Transportation Ontario). My wife and I just completed and passed the course this past Saturday. The course gives my wife a motortricycle license. Me, I already have my M license so nothing but a certificate for me. I was just wondering if anybody else has taken this course, where they took it and what they thought about it?
    Curious as to the location of the school.