Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are Spyder sales Declining Fast?

Stoped at Ride Now Sports today for a visit. Only two F3's and five Ryker's. This is a huge dealership with over 40 dealers across the country. I asked the sales manager where the RT's were and he said there were none and very little sales of the F3. Also stated Ryker sales are at a standstill and motorcycle sales are really slow in general.

This is a 60,000 square foot dealership. Guess what it was filled with? SS (side by side) Can AM's, Polaris, Honda, Yamaha SS's. 65 of them taking up most of the floor along with 80 motorcycles. I was shocked to say the least. SS's have taken the market by storm. Not one Slingshot!

BTW we were up at Bryce Canyon for the last two weeks and rented a new Polaris Slingshot for a day. Yup it was a blast.. drove it 210 miles. Polaris is sponsoring a rental dealership there with 17 new SS's and 11 new Slingshots. We also rented a Polaris SS for a day and went way up in the Black Mountains. We did not take our Can Am SS with us. Half the people in the "Big Rig" RV park had SS's. We were in our M/H.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Here in NW Iowa motorcycle sales slow down in fall because there are not many good riding days once we get into late October. There are some great deals around here as dealers try to clear out stock of motorcycles and watercraft and shift to selling snowmobiles and 4x4 rigs for ice fishing and winter recreation. Things pick up in spring and dealers shift to selling motorcycles and watercraft. 4x4 rigs sell year around for recreational and farm use.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I think the Rykers are not selling because they are all gone. The dealership here in Greeneville (small town) has customers that would buy one. But they can't get one to sell. And they have 7 or 8 dealerships here in the south.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-04-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Motorcycle sales are off all over but I haven’t seen any signs that Spyder sales are off. It isn’t Spyder season in Tucson so I would think that has a lot to do with it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default So it would seem...

Tends to slow down now with school starting, weather changing and season ending for some. The SS are all over the floors but I think the street machines are down all over. It is a fickle market and does have its ups and downs. I don't do dealers so don't know their situation but did for many years....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    Here in NW Iowa motorcycle sales slow down in fall because there are not many good riding days once we get into late October. There are some great deals around here as dealers try to clear out stock of motorcycles and watercraft and shift to selling snowmobiles and 4x4 rigs for ice fishing and winter recreation. Things pick up in spring and dealers shift to selling motorcycles and watercraft. 4x4 rigs sell year around for recreational and farm use.
    That is the way things are in Utah also. Basically if you don't sell your inventory by July 24th your going to be sitting on it until next February so dealers schedule their inventory accordingly. Hunting season is on right now so ATV's,SS, are on the floor now and Snowmobiles will be arriving soon.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The last reporting financial period for BRP is Q1 2020 ending April 30th, 2019. Yes that is correct. Their financial quarter is way different than the calendar. In the quarterly presentation it shows an increase of over 110% as compared to Q1 of 2019.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Here in northern Nevada, M/C sales are down as are Spyder sales. The SXSs are moving off the shelves.
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Spyder Garage

Its very confusing when you refer to SS - side by side, then refer to SS - Slingshot. Not sure what you're referring to at what time. I looked at the Slingshot and thought it might work, but the wife refused to try to get into it, so...
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I agree... the Slingshot is a blast. I have a 2019 SLR Sling and a 2018 RTL and I find myself more and more taking the Sling... It is a blast to drive. To be honest I still feel the RTL is more comfortable for a long trip. although I did drive the Sling 1600 miles in 2 days on the way home from Georgia..... If anyone is interested, the sneak peak from Polaris shows what looked like an auto trans and a different power plant for the SS for 2020. I think a lot of folks do not like shifting.....

Just a side note, I have a 7" ride command unit in my Sling and it is ready to go in seconds. You start the Sling and by the time you are ready to go the music is playing... Why can't our RT's do the same. Sometimes I am already driving before it has "booted up"?
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Its very confusing when you refer to SS - side by side, then refer to SS - Slingshot. Not sure what you're referring to at what time. I looked at the Slingshot and thought it might work, but the wife refused to try to get into it, so...

I thought one was supposed to say SXS for side by side and SS for the Sling.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure about spyder sales, but car sales in general is down in my area. I had been looking at a convertible and was going to wait until September or October. But I decided to go look at a couple anyway. The first dealership did the bate and switch. After driving nearly 2 hours for their advertised price, they added over $3500 in fees. Then the next dealership had exactly what I wanted, but the price was $33k. They lowered the price to $31k. After the test drive, I decided to just leave, and the salesman and manager told me that they had been getting no sales because everyone was into getting kids ready for school. I made them an unreal offer of $28k out the door. To my surprise, they decided to go for it. Took a little prying, but now I am happy with the deal. Not bad for a 2 year old, $50k car. I actually considered a slingshot, but couldn't fit very well. This gives me the open air feel, and I can put the top up when I want. Besides, I still have the spyder and Vmax for my super fix of wind therapy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I hope it is just the summer heat, although I have never visited either Ride Now's without seeing at least half a dozen RT's on the floor even in the summer. People ride here in the summer heat regardless. Not for me!

I think of course the Ryker put a big dent in the RT sales mainly due to much lower price. Just don't want the RT's to go away as we really enjoy ours. Service is also a concern.

I hope some of you are correct in saying it is just a seasonal thing but I am not so sure.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

The dealer I purchased my 19 from said they cant keep rykers in stock. "They sell as fast as they come in" was the quote I was told. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle sales are terrible here in southern Ohio. Neither new or used bikes are moving and if you are a buyer there are some great deals to be had. The side by side and four wheeler market is doing very well. That market is what is keeping several dealerships doors open. Folks here seem to be keeping their bikes longer. My buddy has a repair shop and the number of older, higher mileage bikes he works on has grown a lot. Guys are saying "hey, it runs well, cheaper to keep her."
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I am also thinking that it is a cyclical thing. Most dealers are in slow down as we approach Labor Day. When in AK, a lot of people parked their mc's by September 30...since snow can come anytime in October. I always rode there until the black ice hit the roads.

Ryker has also put a dent in sales for the Spyder line. Many who were dyed in the wool Spyder people, have tried the Rykers and they like them. And then we hear things like my dealer said they sold over 200 Rykers and can't get enough of them. Always wondered about that.

The new year announcements for the line will tell much.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have a friend that works higher up in Polaris (Indian). They are sticking with the Slingshot niche'... so far. The memory of Victory still casts a large shadow. The Slingshot is not a very profitable endeavor for a company that is feeling the headwinds of the economy and culture. From different things I've read, across all branding, motorcycles are not a big deal with the young demographic. Everyone is scrambling trying to reverse that trend away from cycles/trikes. There are less and less of us older buyers... the market continues to shrink and shrivel.

Spyder Garage

With kids going back to school and the seasons changing I would say recreational vehicle sales are always lower. My husband bought his Spyder last month and because of the great deals, I bought the smaller 2019 F3T.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    The dealer I purchased my 19 from said they cant keep rykers in stock. "They sell as fast as they come in" was the quote I was told. Chris
    c. Lee I just bought the same spyder you have a week ago (mines chrome not dark). I've been running the wheels off it. Almost 800 miles. I had a Harley rider come up on side of me a couple days ago to say nice color.
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Nice Color!

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Have a friend that works higher up in Polaris (Indian). They are sticking with the Slingshot niche'... so far. The memory of Victory still casts a large shadow. The Slingshot is not a very profitable endeavor for a company that is feeling the headwinds of the economy and culture. From different things I've read, across all branding, motorcycles are not a big deal with the young demographic. Everyone is scrambling trying to reverse that trend away from cycles/trikes. There are less and less of us older buyers... the market continues to shrink and shrivel.
    Nice color.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see that the BRP Can-Am rebates have already started. $3500.00 on RT/RT Limited.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles.

Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

Here are the study results:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6 Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7 Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Well that about sums it up!

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles.

Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

Here are the study results:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6 Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7 Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.
    Hmmmm ... which generation raised these little "monsters" and doesn't take a lick of responsibility for the way they are?
    2017 RTS , Blue