Spyder Garage

Default 2019 limited rt no stable ride on interstate.

can not get a comfortable ride on interstate. when traveling at seventy miles per hour , the wind moves the rt around plus the road contour.can not get a relaxed ride.Is there a fix.I am a new rider to three wheel,only 2500 miles on rt.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you had a front end alignment?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Have you gotten used to not holding the handlebars real tight. If still holding tight release some and let the bike settle. I and others held tight and the bike will move some because you are tweaking the handle bars and not even knowing it. I hope this helps.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by demotte View Post
    can not get a comfortable ride on interstate. when traveling at seventy miles per hour , the wind moves the rt around plus the road contour.can not get a relaxed ride.Is there a fix.I am a new rider to three wheel,only 2500 miles on rt.
    I highly suggest you look at the " Do's and Do not's " on the home page. Spyders have very different Ride Characteristics from all two wheel Mtc's …. a light grip actually works better …. and " Drive it like a Car ", has helped me learn the Spyder ….. good Luck and .... Mike PS I also agree with Posts #2 ( get a genuine Lazer alignment - not the BRP one ….. & #3

Spyder Garage

It's a bit like riding a dirt bike. If you try to control every twitch, you'll drive yourself crazy. The narrow wheelbase on the Spyder will let you feel every imperfection in the roadway. But it is meaningless input that you must grow to ignore. Otherwise, you will never be happy with your Spyder. A front end alignment, as suggested by Blueknight911 is also highly recommended. If your alignment is out it can cause a great deal of grief. Relaxing your hands, wrists, forearms, shoulders, etc., is also very good advise.

The Spyder is an extremely stable platform. Most instability is created by the rider, not the machine. Once I understood this, things got a lot better for me.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Posts #2-5 have covered the most important aspects of getting comfortable on your Ltd. If the Spyder is properly aligned and if you maintain a light touch on the bars, even in crosswinds with a relaxed upper torso, your bike will track like an arrow shot from a crossbow at speeds well in excess of 70 mph.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

as mentioned above you need to start with the grip. This is most common and hard to get used to at first. The laser is the next thing to have checked. For just crusing on the freeway the spyder is set up well from the factory. Once your good with that and you want to improve on the alternate routes you can look into the other mods. Give it some time, as your confidence grows so will the relaxed ryding....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

As much as many have testified to the need for a laser alignment, I have had two RT's and neither needed an alignment. They both tracked true and straight right from the dealer. I do try to make sure both front tires are at the same, correct pressure though. Take your Spyder to a nice flat surface, like a well-paved parking lot, and check it for alignment issues during acceleration, steady roll, and braking like you would for a car. If it needs alignment, definitely get it done. If not, then all the other suggestions above are helpful in getting comfortable with the handling at all speeds. If you don't mind putting out $200+ for the laser alignment just to be sure, then go for it. I just never have seen the need in my experience. The sway bar upgrade definitely helped the buffeting from oncoming trucks on the interstate, but other than that, the difference in handling was negligible.

Spyder Garage

Loosen your grip on the handlebars. I ride with the cruise control on and just lay my hands on the grips. Took me about 1500 miles to get used to the ride. Now I cruise at 70+

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

While BajaRon would not put in a shameless plug for himself, I will. Order one of his anti-sway bar upgrades and install that, or have your dealer do it. That will help a lot with the stability.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    ...If you don't mind putting out $200+ for the laser alignment just to be sure, then go for it. I just never have seen the need in my experience. The sway bar upgrade definitely helped the buffeting from oncoming trucks on the interstate, but other than that, the difference in handling was negligible.
    In order of importance, I agree with you 100% regarding the improvement of the sway bar in buffeting from trucks on interstates. I had the bar and links installed as part of the OTD deal with the dealership for $82. Second, you must live in an expensive area where Spyder owners have to pay $200+ for a laser alignment. The dealership laser aligned my RT for $125, again, part of the OTD deal. Squared Away is much less than $200 and if they check one's alignment and it's within spec the charge is zero. You're lucky having had two RTs that didn't need alignment. Ask Joe Meyer what percentage they see out of the factory within spec. I don't want to float the number he told me because I consider it part of a private conversation.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Looking back at all the changes I made, in order of importance to me (and why). I see you have 2500 miles on it, so you should be able to grasp how each change affects your ride. Of course loosen the grip on the bike, let it move around.
    1. Laser Alignment. A lot of Spyders come with too little toe in, and this causes shuffling side to side. Bad enough and it may feel like darting. Correct toe in results in a bike that doesn't dart from side to side. Much more stable.
    2. Baja Ron sway bar upgrade. For me at least, this prevents the wallowing in wind and turns, and the tire ruts in the road from having the rear end deflect the front from direction of travel, resulting in a more stable feel.
    3. Tires. Mine was darting all over the place, and I started with the tires. That alone may have smoothed out about 50% of my problem, but after the fact I think the first two did the most good.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyray View Post
    Have you gotten used to not holding the handlebars real tight. If still holding tight release some and let the bike settle. I and others held tight and the bike will move some because you are tweaking the handle bars and not even knowing it. I hope this helps.
    What he said!

Just rest your hooked fingers on the bars, let the bike find its own way.

Rt's on standard tyres are very straight running and stable on a good surface. (Twitchy and darty on a woggly surface.) If you continue to have issues, get the tyre pressures and/or the front end checked.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As what everyone has stated above.

Check your air pressure to start. Then go from there with all the suggestions above.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i see your from in if your around indy area let me know i might be able to help you

Spyder Garage

My early days were uncomfortable times 12. I found that adjusting the the front tire pressure (even Kendas) helped a bunch. When I put on the new Vredestein tires, that was a huge improvement. Baja Ron's swaybar and heim links helped lots too. But mostly... as the others have said... what helped was me learning to ride the spyder and put the two wheel skills off to the side in my brain. The two rides are totally different. Let the Spyder find its way and guide it ... not manhandle it. Loosen the grip on the bars. Get used to pushing off with opposite foot on turns and looking through them. It becomes second nature. Practice on quiet roads and gain confidence ... and move the speed up as you go. I am enjoying the Spyder now... after thinking I had made a big mistake buying one initially. Everyone here offers good advice and support. You are in a good place as you go forward.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you ever ridden snowmobiles or ATVs? The Spyder handles much the same.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Along with a lighter grip is the need for mileage. It takes time to adapt to Spyder handling. Also, consider this. On a bike you have a single track hitting potholes, tar shakes and groves in pavement. In a car you have two tracks hitting these obstructions. On a Spyder you are getting hit from three tracks. The Spyder is always moving in some direction or another depending on pavement conditions. Sometimes your getting beat up by all three tracks going up, down and sideways all at once. This can feel a more confusing. It's ok, it's normal.