Spyder Garage

Default Another Brake Question.

Hi .. Im about to do the rear pads on my 2012 RT. looking in the manual I have for the 2010/2011 models, it says push the piston back into the caliper. Im looking for a definitive answer, as to if the piston just pushes back in... or is it push and twist clockwise. Mines a 998 so has the older braking system. Im looking at the easiest way to do this without having to take loads of stuff off..if its a simple case of pushing the piston in then I wont have to drop the caliper off.
    If I do have to drop the caliper off to backwind the piston in, then im looking to leave the muffler on as that's gonna open a whole new can of worms with the rusted bolts etc. Reading the manual I have it says remove the parking brake set up as well.. does this just entail removing the cable and then the big nut in the centre of the black disk thingy? It cant be as simple as that can it? Ive searched for youtube vids for my model, but to no avail... im quite proficient on the spanners and don't see it as a complicated job, but im open to advice and any tips before I start....or a step by step guide..

Spyder Garage

I just changed my rear pads on my 2011. I purchased at Harbor Freight a cheap a brake caliper pusher. Works great. On your rear brakes you just push the caliper back in, no turning. First thing I would do is set your parking brake, this will allow you to loosen one of the bolts that the pads sit on. After you loosen both pad bolts, release you parking brake. You then need a 13mm wrench to remove the 2 bolts that attach the brake assembly to the frame. You then have to wiggle the assembly down off of the rotor. I removed the bolts that hold the pads on and cleaned them up. I used my HF tool to push the caliper back in. Installed new pads and reinstalled assembly back over the rotor. I had the rear of bike jacked up about 18 inches. I put jack under rear shock. This is the 6th time I've changed my rear pads. 30 to 40 minutes to do job. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 and newer have Brembo brakes with the pistons that have to be screwed in. Anything before that, the piston just pushes in.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes...

They just press back into place. Make sure you release the park brake and drain a bit of fluid from the resivor to aviod spilling fluid as the pistons retract.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Guys that's great... makes the job a whole lot easier

Spyder Garage

We did one Saturday. The hardest part of the job is the clips that go on the end of the Allen bolts. They tend to fly as you attempt to push them on. So, I made a tool:
    Take a piece of cutting board plastic(HDPE) or aluminum. 1”x1”x3”. On the end, use a hacksaw to cut a groove 1 blade thickness from the side. Only deep enough to hold the clip. Use that to press the clip on.
    Use a socket or piece of pipe to cover the parking brake shaft, so it is protected from the 8” clamp you use to compress the piston. If you get stuck, call. Number below. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

HI Guys.. Got the pads replaced, couldn't push the piston back in though until I removed the parking brake completely from the caliper.. once id figured that out it went well..ta for all the advice!