Thread: Shift switch??

Spyder Garage

Default Shift switch??

Hello everyone,

I have a 2011 can am rss SE5 lately she's been giving me problems shifting from N to first when I start her up its does happen all the time. I was told its the shift switch. How can I be sure it's this and not something else? I have a video of what it does not sure how to post it. Any help would be awesome thank you very much for any help.

Spyder Garage

I do not know what you have looked at before but the number one thing that causes the symtoms that you describe is low oil level. I mean not showing on the dipstick low.

If that is not it then you may be correct and the shift switch is bad. It's $160 for the part, plus labour if you can't do it yourself.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I do not know what you have looked at before but the number one thing that causes the symtoms that you describe is low oil level. I mean not showing on the dipstick low.

If that is not it then you may be correct and the shift switch is bad. It's $160 for the part, plus labour if you can't do it yourself.

Yes we checked oil level and it's fine even gave it a oil change top it off to the proper level and it was running fine then the next day it started doing it again. It doesn't do it all the time. Yesterday it won't return to N I had to tap the ( - ) twice before it went back to N. I have video I took is there a way to post it here? Or maybe send to you? Thank you

Spyder Garage

check your shift lever to make sure it is tight. This down on the left side of the engine,you can see it from underneath back by the left foot peg. Tighten with a 5mm Allen wrench.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If it is the switch it is an hour's work to change - most of the time is spend taking off the plastic covers to get to the connection which is behind the main beam head lights - my problem was with a message saying problem so change back to the gear I was in and then changing to the new gear _ The switch itself is just a small micro switch - maybe some cleaner sprayed into the switch may help
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your help I will check all these things and also try using some contact cleaner on the switch to see if that helps.

Spyder Garage

Here some videos maybe will help you guys if you see what my bike is doing. Thank you

https://youtu.be/bwtjPVC3wCQ
    https://youtu.be/68nPcEJ72TE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    If it is the switch it is an hour's work to change - most of the time is spend taking off the plastic covers to get to the connection which is behind the main beam head lights - my problem was with a message saying problem so change back to the gear I was in and then changing to the new gear _ The switch itself is just a small micro switch - maybe some cleaner sprayed into the switch may help
    After messing around wiht my spyder she doesn't do it all the time it's very sporadically I also notice when she gonna act up cause when I turn the key off with our pressing the ebreak I don't get the warning beep. So when I don't get the warning beep I know she's not gonna shift. Then other times I get the warning beep and I'll start her up and she will shift gears find. Please help anyone. Can it really be the shift button or Mayne key cylinder?? Hopeful here riding season almost over.