Spyder Garage

Default first ride on rt slideing on corners

as i indicated on a previous post about going on a first ride after performing an alignment, and canisterectomy, and relocating the crankcase vent out of the air cleaner, the spyder tracks well and runs well. however when getting off on a freeway ramp or taking 45 mph corners it felt like the rt was sliding instead of sticking to the road. after decreasing my air pressure up front and the rear by 1 pound. I still figured something else had to be causing the sliding sensation. i had just purchased this spyder and have not done any good rides until i had aligned the front tires and performed some modifications. then a thought occured to me. i wonder if the previous owner had the rear shock pumped up. they did ride as a couple and for now i am riding solo. the shock had 50psi!!! As soon as i dropped the pressure down to 20psi the spyder dropped by about and inch or so. BINGO! took the spyder out and she hugged the corners. Lesson, if a person buys a used rt, check the rear shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    as i indicated on a previous post about going on a first ride after performing an alignment, and canisterectomy, and relocating the crankcase vent out of the air cleaner, the spyder tracks well and runs well. however when getting off on a freeway ramp or taking 45 mph corners it felt like the rt was sliding instead of sticking to the road. after decreasing my air pressure up front and the rear by 1 pound. I still figured something else had to be causing the sliding sensation. i had just purchased this spyder and have not done any good rides until i had aligned the front tires and performed some modifications. then a thought occured to me. i wonder if the previous owner had the rear shock pumped up. they did ride as a couple and for now i am riding solo. the shock had 50psi!!! As soon as i dropped the pressure down to 20psi the spyder dropped by about and inch or so. BINGO! took the spyder out and she hugged the corners. Lesson, if a person buys a used rt, check the rear shock.
    You might want to post this as an update to your original thread instead of starting a new one as you have here. That would serve the dual purpose of giving the reader a frame of reference, plus bring closure to your original concern as expressed in your original thread.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear...

is a good idea as many follow to see where it all goes. Glad to hear you found the problem and now we all can pass it on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black