Spyder Garage

Default RPS Manufacturing / M2 Shocks Review

Hello All

Following is a quick review of my purchasing experience and 1st 100 miles on a front and rear set of shocks from RPS. A little background on my ride, I have a 2016 F3-T Special Series and previously ran a 2016 RT-SS so I've got a little experience with the handling characteristics of both bikes from the factory. Aftermarket wise, the following was installed on the F3 at purchase 6K miles ago. I have a Baja Ron Sway Bar, Doc Humphreys Belt Tension Pulley and Hankook 175/55/15 tires mounted on the front. The standard shocks from Can Am while effective were not overly impressive and it was easy to have the nanny set off on aggressive cornering. I ride with a military MC who typically run Harleys, Victorys, Indians and Triumphs, mostly baggers so the riding fairly aggressive.

I have a buddy with an F3-T that has Elka Stage 3's and have ridden his so while I don't have extensive comparison experience, I have about 20 miles worth just to level set. I didn't need to replace the factory shocks, just wanted to upgrade.

Purchasing experience: Spent several hours looking at the reviews for RPS, liked what I saw and called Marcus at RPS. If ever there was a guy that has passion about what he's doing and building, he's the guy. Spent 45 minutes talking about my ride, riding style and what I was looking to do and received a doctoral level lesson on shock design, development and manufacturing. Eventually we got around to ordering a set for the front and rear. Marcus is very detailed in understanding how you ride and what you want as he builds and sets up the shocks just for you and your bike. Overall, I'd rate the entire buying experience a 10/10.

Riding experience: I've ridden the Elkas and they are a major upgrade from the factory shocks. The RPS/M2's double down on that by a factor of 4x. The shocks out of the box are beautifully manufactured and the best quality I've seen period. The attention to detail all the way down to my name being on all the shocks with the setup loading from RPS shows how much effort went into making sure they were right and fully tested before they shipped to me. My buddy with the Elka's examined them and immediately spotted several areas that the M2's were simply better from an engineering and build perspective. The M2's have transformed the bike more than any other upgrade I've ever done. It's simply doesn't seem like I'm on a Spyder anymore. Low speed handling and ride are excellent, but when you put a little speed on them they just leave everything else behind. Previously I had the nanny showing up on aggressive cornering and felt I was only getting some of the benefit of the better rubber up front. Now, I actually feel I can push the bike to the limits of the traction available. I taking turns 20 MPH faster than I ever could and feel 2x safer doing it. Completely sold on the product and experience. My buddy with the Elka's took my bike out and came back just a bit miffed since he not only paid more but said if he "could only do it over again." Nothing against the Elka's, they're a good product but not up to what RPS is building. To top it off your getting an American made product from a small business owner that cares deeply about every product that leaves his door.

mk
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Marcus always puts the customer first and there shocks have been amazing

Spyder Garage

I also have the M2's front and rear. After taking a 3000+ mile trip with a passenger and all our gear and clothing I realized a need for a little heavier spring up front. I contacted Marcus to let him know my experiences on the trip and he had new springs sitting on my front porch within the week at no charge. I have said before that his customer service is top notch and I will gladly say it again.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

That was a great review, but my questions is, how long did you wait to receive them? I have also order a complete set of shocks for my F3 Limited, a month ago! I've emailed Marcus a few times to check on the progress and he told the rear is built but he's waiting on parts for the front ones. I'm starting to get a bit impatient. I don't want to rush him in the build, but when I ordered my shocks, he told me it would take about 1 week to ship, I ordered around July 23. I love hearing all the great things about these shocks but 1 month! In my opinion, thats too long. I will give him a call this coming week to find out exactly what the hold up is. I also have the Baja Ron sway bar but not installed yet. I was trying to wait until I get the shocks in and then take the Spyder to the dealer to have everything installed at once but I couldn't wait any longer. The sway bar is getting installed this week. Hopefully, the M2 shocks will be in my hands soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MKrone View Post
    Hello All

Following is a quick review of my purchasing experience and 1st 100 miles on a front and rear set of shocks from RPS. .....

mk
    Thanks MKrone. I still haven't settled on what I want to fit to my RTL, but very much like the M2's from what I've read. The only thing that has swayed me to Wilburs is the fact they have a remote adjustment that allows me to adjust the rear shock as needed without the need to "pull the bike apart" to adjust settings at the rear.

Sounds like you've made an excellent choice.

Can I ask what rubber you run front and rear.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You dont have to pull the bike apart to adjust the rear shock. I have done it front laying on the ground on my RTL and made the quick adjustment as needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Skups View Post
    That was a great review, but my questions is, how long did you wait to receive them? I have also order a complete set of shocks for my F3 Limited, a month ago! I've emailed Marcus a few times to check on the progress and he told the rear is built but he's waiting on parts for the front ones. I'm starting to get a bit impatient. I don't want to rush him in the build, but when I ordered my shocks, he told me it would take about 1 week to ship, I ordered around July 23. I love hearing all the great things about these shocks but 1 month! In my opinion, thats too long. I will give him a call this coming week to find out exactly what the hold up is. I also have the Baja Ron sway bar but not installed yet. I was trying to wait until I get the shocks in and then take the Spyder to the dealer to have everything installed at once but I couldn't wait any longer. The sway bar is getting installed this week. Hopefully, the M2 shocks will be in my hands soon.
    Its more like in a month range, depending how many orders he has lined up. You will get them as he is very busy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You dont have to pull the bike apart to adjust the rear shock. I have done it front laying on the ground on my RTL and made the quick adjustment as needed.
    With the Wilbur rear shock I adjust the knob mounted under the seat.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    With the Wilbur rear shock I adjust the knob mounted under the seat.
    What is being adjusted the dampening?

Spyder Garage

Hankook 175/55/15 on the front and stock Kenda on the rear. I'll go to a car tire on the rear once the Kenda wears out.

Spyder Garage

Skups

I can appreciate the anticipation, I also ran into a situation where he needed a few parts from a supplier. It was totally worth the wait though. Look at it this way, you're getting a custom made shock personally setup for you, not something mass produced and pulled off the shelf that's a 50% estimate fit for you and your riding style. Again, between build quality and personalized setup, it's worth every bit of the wait because he builds them for each customer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Skups View Post
    Hey this is Marcus from M2 shocks... I believe I've got everybody's Parts in last week and we'd hope to ship them last week but we also had a big race in Virginia this weekend so they'll be shipping out most likely by Wednesday and you'll have him by The Weeknd even if I have to expedite the shipping

I've been frustrated because it should only take two to three weeks maximum to get these shipped and I promise you it seems like every time we turn around there's some little bitty part holding us up

Up until last month it was the bearings we actually cleaned out the Koyo Warehouse and it took 4 weeks for those to come in... apparently until we started building the shocks and the Harleys the 1.75 inch Torrington bearing wasnt a big seller.... I apologize for anybody has to wait I can only tell you that we make sure that what you get is the best we can make

I appreciate your patience and I look forward to you all getting your products in your hands because that's the only advertising we have is Happy customers

Spyder Garage

Been a very crazy week since I posted last, and a lot of responses. Thanks for posting Marcus and explaining, sorry about venting on how long the shocks take to build. I do understand about vendor problems, I deal with it all the time. I don't want you to rush, I want a quality build and I'm sure you'll provide that from what I've read about your shocks. My work and family issues have been pushing me to the limit and now we have a hurricane bearing down on us (I'm in Florida). I've got my Baja Ron sway bar installed but haven't really tested it yet and probably won't for a while. I'm looking forward to some "garage time" installing the new shocks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    What is being adjusted the dampening?
    It has adjustments for compression and rebound dampening, but the control knob adjusts the rebound dampening
    2017 RTL , White