Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Licensing Requirements for American Riders Touring in Canada?

Can anyone provide any info on what the insurance and licensing requirements are for an American riding thru Canada for a few days? Is an international driver's license required? (And how does that get the motorcycle endorsement)?

What about insurance? If I have my car covered by Insurance Company A and my Spyder covered my Insurance Company B, which do I contact for any necessary coverages and exactly what do I ask for?

Any other things to consider?

Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your US license is good in Canada. You should check with your insurance co. to make sure you will be covered. most do cover you in Canada. You should get your passport way ahead of time if you don't have one already.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

You will need your passport or a NEXUS pass. Insurance documents and licence with mc endorsement plus ownership registration. Happy trails. No lethal weapons or you get cuffed and a record stuck on you then deported ceremoniously.

Spyder Garage

Whatever drivers licence required for you to drive your Spyder in your state of residence, allows you drive in any province in Canada. Your Spyder needs to be properly registered and licensed in a US state and proof carried with you. Proof of insurance coverage needs to be carried with you as well.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

The above all have you covered. We finished a four day long trek through part of Canada on our move from AK to AR. Passports were the only extra thing that was required. Our AK drivers license, registration, and insurance were the only other requirements.

We passed through customs fairly quickly. The Canadian entry was the worst. They were giving a motor home the "treatment," and that put about a half hour delay into the process for the rest of us. The entry back to Montana was easy peasy. They asked for the passports and license, asked a couple questions, and sent us on our way to the lower 48.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red