Spyder Garage

Default vredestein quatrac 5 tires

ok i an looking to purchase these tires for my 2010 rt. these seem to be what is really recommended on this forum. i am not finding a suitable rear size in the quatrac 5 tire. any suggestions. also are you people going with a different size for the front than what the spyder came with?

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m on a 2014 RTS and only running the fronts... 175/55R15.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I am running the 205R60/15 on my 2015 F3s to help correct the speedo,
    and I will be putting the 205R50/15 on my wife's 2018 F3l as her's is running correct speed with the stock 50 ratio tires.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I am running the 205R60/15 on my 2015 F3s to help correct the speedo,
    and I will be putting the 205R50/15 on my wife's 2018 F3l as her's is running correct speed with the stock 50 ratio tires.
    Just a thought …. I don't think using that change in size is going to work because the Aspect ratio will be a lot different ….. I think Tirerack lists the Revs' per mile , I would check that number ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just a thought …. I don't think using that change in size is going to work because the Aspect ratio will be a lot different ….. I think Tirerack lists the Revs' per mile , I would check that number ……. Mike
    Mike,

With the 50 ratio at 65 the speedo will read 63, but with the 60 ratio the speedo will be over 67. If I could find a 55 ratio then it would be 65. I would rather she be under the speed than over, so that is why I am going with the 50.

Les

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We took a 205/50R15 off of a customer’s Spyder last week. He said it raised his rpm 500 at cruising speed and his speedometer was off by 4 mph. I’d think about a different size.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We took a 205/50R15 off of a customer’s Spyder last week. He said it raised his rpm 500 at cruising speed and his speedometer was off by 4 mph. I’d think about a different size.
    ...………….Mike

Spyder Garage

Ann,

What was your customer's speedometer error with the stock tire?
    On our 2014 RT, and my 2015 F3 both were 57 at a GPS indicated 60. Putting a 205/60R15 size on both brought both up to 59 at the GPS 60. Currently on Kathy's 2018 F3 with the stock tire (225/50R15) her speedometer shows 59 at the GPS 60. I will not know for sure what it will read until I mount it, but was concerned that going with the 205/60R15 will bring her speedometer reading on the high side.

I do have time to see about finding the 205/60R15 size before she needs it. Not sure if Tire Rack will take back the tire I have. If not I can find out how it works and if she doesn't like it switch to the other size. I do have my own tire changing equipment (including balancing) so I would only be out my time.

Les

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Be aware this is an asymmetrical tread pattern tire and NOT RECOMMENDED for a single wheel application like on the rear of the Spyder. They are fine for the fronts.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Be aware this is an asymmetrical tread pattern tire and NOT RECOMMENDED for a single wheel application like on the rear of the Spyder. They are fine for the fronts.
    Over 3000 miles on mine. Rode in heavy rains and very twisty roads (tail of the dragon, snake, aces and eights) all without any issue. Compared to the S-drive I had on I would rate it as good in rain as well as dry roads and 95% in handling with a softer ride.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Ann,

What was your customer's speedometer error with the stock tire?
    On our 2014 RT, and my 2015 F3 both were 57 at a GPS indicated 60. Putting a 205/60R15 size on both brought both up to 59 at the GPS 60. Currently on Kathy's 2018 F3 with the stock tire (225/50R15) her speedometer shows 59 at the GPS 60. I will not know for sure what it will read until I mount it, but was concerned that going with the 205/60R15 will bring her speedometer reading on the high side.

I do have time to see about finding the 205/60R15 size before she needs it. Not sure if Tire Rack will take back the tire I have. If not I can find out how it works and if she doesn't like it switch to the other size. I do have my own tire changing equipment (including balancing) so I would only be out my time.

Les
    Les, before you go to all that trouble …. find a roadside " RADAR machine " and check the bike against that ….. The machines are very accurate …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Les, before you go to all that trouble …. find a roadside " RADAR machine " and check the bike against that ….. The machines are very accurate …. good luck …. Mike
    Mike,

A very good way, and I have done just that. Both came in at 59 on a speedometer reading of 60. Both our GPS's clocked in at 60 on 60.

Les

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I have decided to change to a 205/55R15 in order to get as close to 60 at 60 as possible. Tire rack accepted my return with no shipping charge as long as I was purchasing another tire.
    Returning the Vredestein and getting the Yokohama Advan V701. This is the replacement for the S-drive. I ran the S-drive on my F3 prior to the Vredestein and was happy with it. I also had a 1mph increase in my speedometer reading which matches the tire size calculator that gave me a 1.3mph increase over the 225/50R15 stock size.
    I would have gladly purchased another Vredestein if I could have gotten it in the 205/55R15 size as the one on my F3 is performing excellent in all weather and road conditions.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Les, I sent you a message but will reply here as well. I think our customer’s speedo was iff 2 mph prior to the Vredestein. I think his concern was as much in it running at higher rpm and getting poorer gas mileage. Here is a picture of a 205/50 tire compared to the stock Kenda, it is way shorter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I'd be wary of your customer's figures because there's no way 500rpm equates to 4mph.

However, I'm in agreement, going to a 205/50 from a 225/50 will over read on the speedo by an additional 2.3mph.

Depending what the standard error is, it may make the speedo a nuisance to read.

The bike will accelerate faster though!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have decided to change to a 205/55R15 in order to get as close to 60 at 60 as possible. Tire rack accepted my return with no shipping charge as long as I was purchasing another tire.
    Returning the Vredestein and getting the Yokohama Advan V701. This is the replacement for the S-drive. I ran the S-drive on my F3 prior to the Vredestein and was happy with it. I also had a 1mph increase in my speedometer reading which matches the tire size calculator that gave me a 1.3mph increase over the 225/50R15 stock size.
    I would have gladly purchased another Vredestein if I could have gotten it in the 205/55R15 size as the one on my F3 is performing excellent in all weather and road conditions.
    This is from Tire Rack's website describing the Yokohama Advan 701.

DescriptionSizesSpecsWarranty
    Lea en español
    The ADVAN Fleva V701 is Yokohama's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed for enthusiast drivers looking to add some fun to the drive in their sports cars, performance sedans and sporty coupes. The ADVAN Fleva V701 is designed to excel in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Ultra High Performance Summer tires, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

An advanced, nanoBLEND compound combines wear-resistant and high-fuel efficiency polymers with silica to combine dry and wet traction with long life and efficiency. The Two In One contrasting pitch of the tread pattern works to reduce noise for a quiet ride in addition to increasing pattern stability for improved performance. A solid center rib and near-solid shoulders help provide quick, precise handling and high-speed stability and on-center feel. Drop Point Grooves in the intermediate ribs evacuate water to the Jagged Circumferential Grooves, helping to resist hydroplaning and improve stopping distance in wet conditions.

The mold contour and construction of the ADVAN Fleva V701 is designed to evenly distribute pressure across the contact patch to optimize handling and braking traction, in addition to improving steering stability at high speeds.

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage. Tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Could make riding in the winter on those rare times when it does warm up enough to ride problematic.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aren't both bikes F3s?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Aren't both bikes F3s?
    Yes they are, but with different speedometer errors.

2015 speedometer error.
    -3 at 60 (57 mph at an indicated 60)
    Running the 205/60R15 adds +2 (59 mph at an indicated 60)

2018 speedometer error.
    -1 at 60 (59 mph at an indicated 60)
    Running a 205/50R15 subtracts 2 (57 mph at an indicated 60)
    Running a 205/60R15 adds +2 (61 mph at an indicated 60)

Running a 205/55R15 adds +1 (60 at an indicated 60) so this is the best size to keep the Speedometer accurate without going over.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    This is from Tire Rack's website describing the Yokohama Advan 701.

DescriptionSizesSpecsWarranty
    Lea en español
    The ADVAN Fleva V701 is Yokohama's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed for enthusiast drivers looking to add some fun to the drive in their sports cars, performance sedans and sporty coupes. The ADVAN Fleva V701 is designed to excel in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Ultra High Performance Summer tires, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

An advanced, nanoBLEND compound combines wear-resistant and high-fuel efficiency polymers with silica to combine dry and wet traction with long life and efficiency. The Two In One contrasting pitch of the tread pattern works to reduce noise for a quiet ride in addition to increasing pattern stability for improved performance. A solid center rib and near-solid shoulders help provide quick, precise handling and high-speed stability and on-center feel. Drop Point Grooves in the intermediate ribs evacuate water to the Jagged Circumferential Grooves, helping to resist hydroplaning and improve stopping distance in wet conditions.

The mold contour and construction of the ADVAN Fleva V701 is designed to evenly distribute pressure across the contact patch to optimize handling and braking traction, in addition to improving steering stability at high speeds.

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage. Tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Could make riding in the winter on those rare times when it does warm up enough to ride problematic.
    We rarely ride when its below freezing, much less 20deg. But have ridden with the Yokos down to 16 on occasion and while not as sticky they were fine. I was not much interested in spirited riding at that temp either. They warm up quickly when riding. In practical terms, the temps are not a concern for Spyders.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I don't know about the Yoko's but I know that my Pilot Super Sports turned into hockey pucks as the temps went south of 40*F, they call them ultra high perofrmance summer tires for a reason.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I joined the Q5 group this week with 175/55/15's up front and a 205/60/15 on the rear.
    2017 F3T with 12,730 miles
    T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    I joined the Q5 group this week with 175/55/15's up front and a 205/60/15 on the rear.
    2017 F3T with 12,730 miles
    T.P.
    T.P. that's the same size I am running on my 2015 F3s. How do you like them so far?

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Made 3 trips out to ST Boni motorsports juggling wheels and tires this week. Tuesday I dropped off the front wheels and tires. Picked them up Thursday and dropped the new rear tire off, Put the fronts on and rode to work on Friday and to St Boni Motorsports by 3:00 yesterday. I was out of there by 5;30 heading home. Smooth ride home on the Q5's!
    YIPPIE SKIPPY my Kenda's are gone. Yes Les I was in your neighborhood and got to Mackenthun's for 3 pounds of jerky. I made the Q5 switch on yours and BLUEKNIGHT911's recommendation's

T.P.