Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hi Viz Motorcycle Gear Safer or Not?

Great video with some stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6wHvFWr0k4
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Some good points in the video.

Ride Safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Great video with some stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6wHvFWr0k4
    …. more likely Safer yes ….. but remember Fire Trucks with all lights and loud horns and sirens get hit also ….. Defensive driving is your best friend - but still no guarantee ………………...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    …. more likely Safer yes ….. but remember Fire Trucks with all lights and loud horns and sirens get hit also ….. Defensive driving is your best friend - but still no guarantee ………………...Mike
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is true due to the phenomenon known as situational blindness. It is caused by distracted driving which has taken over as the leading cause of traffic accidents in the US.

Still; the higher visibility you strive for the higher your odds of being seen.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I never understood the idea of wearing all black. It's needlessly hot temperature-wise and it's almost like camouflage on the road. Fashion? I don't see myself when I ride anyway and I don't ride to impress others.

I like the first comment on the video: "Better to be seen than to be remembered." Of course some distracted driver might still hit me, but I'll take every single percentage of life I can get. I don't care if my hi-vis makes me look old ... I AM old ... and I'd like to stay that way.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I never understood the idea of wearing all black. It's needlessly hot temperature-wise and it's almost like camouflage on the road. Fashion? I don't see myself when I ride anyway and I don't ride to impress others.

I like the first comment on the video: "Better to be seen than to be remembered." Of course some distracted driver might still hit me, but I'll take every single percentage of life I can get. I don't care if my hi-vis makes me look old ... I AM old ... and I'd like to stay that way.
    I’m with you on this. I don’t look fashion cool at all. Big white RTL black and red jacket, tan overpants, and a big neon yellow hi viz protect the melon helmet. I’m a chaos of color in the hopes that the contrast will stand out more. It’s pretty much 20 minutes to get out of city roads here and invariably every time I go out at least one cage does something stupid.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Just beware, one of the drawbacks of wearing bright or hi-viz gear on a Spyder, especially on the RT's, is that you'll almost certainly get a lot of reflection in the dash & gauge faces & you probably won't be able to see to read them (clearly? or maybe at all?!?)

Darker clothing doesn't reflect anywhere near as much, so at least you'll know when you're speeding!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just beware, one of the drawbacks of wearing bright or hi-viz gear on a Spyder, especially on the RT's, is that you'll almost certainly get a lot of reflection in the dash & gauge faces & you probably won't be able to see to read them (clearly? or maybe at all?!?)

Darker clothing doesn't reflect anywhere near as much, so at least you'll know when you're speeding!
    I agree, but it's hell in the heat of the desert! I just finished 1700 miles in the desert wearing a white fishing shirt; it did a great job keeping the sun's intense rays off me, but did play havoc with reading the gauges for sure.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yeah, so spare a thought for we bigger riders, John, who can only get black gear from most manufacturers once we reach the larger/taller sizes.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, so spare a thought for we bigger riders, John, who can only get black gear from most manufacturers once we reach the larger/taller sizes.

Pete
    Then don't buy motorcycle gear. I don't, for just that reason. My shirt is a Simms fishing shirt (white). I've ordered some white Chinos from Amazon to try out so my legs won't get so hot in the sun. Even my socks are white for desert riding. Every little bit of sun reflectance helps.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I may be a weinie, but at least they'll see me! My wife and I have pretty much the same outfits, so it's kind of hard to miss us.IMG_5720.jpg
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    I may be a weinie, but at least they'll see me! My wife and I have pretty much the same outfits, so it's kind of hard to miss us.IMG_5720.jpg
    To each his own. I've spent years trying to figure out what works best for me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

With all the MC around our area, and the hot temps in the high 90's, ATGATT seems to go out the door for comfortable riding. The summer "uniform" here for ATGATT seems to be helmet, gloves, short sleeve shirt, jeans or shorts, and boots or less.

We have high vis (white) helmets as part of our arsenal for about four years now. We wear them about half the time. The communicators in the other helmets are better. We now have a set of high viz orange and yellow long and short sleeves that we wear on the hotter days. Its has been mostly short sleeves the last month or so.

It comes down to a personal call as well as a "how safe" judgement. We refer to it as a calculated risk.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Hi Viz Motorcycle Gear Safer or Not?

This isn't gear; but head light modulators are worth their weight in gold to increase your visibility to other drivers. IMHO
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Then don't buy motorcycle gear. I don't, for just that reason. My shirt is a Simms fishing shirt (white). I've ordered some white Chinos from Amazon to try out so my legs won't get so hot in the sun. Even my socks are white for desert riding. Every little bit of sun reflectance helps.
    I do indeed do that when I’m riding locally, Pete, but I have to get on the freeway to go almost anywhere, and I don’t like not having armour and Kevlar with the number of numbnuts sharing it with me. Fortunately, MotoPort make custom gear in light colours, but it’s pretty pricey and inconvenient when you have to ship both ways

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red