Thread: Garmin update

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin update

I have a 2016 RT Limited and would like to upgrade my gps.
    I have the 660. Does anyone know if the newer models would
    plug right up. And if not how hard would it be to replace the wiring harness
    Thank all
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

If I was a betting man, I would not think that garmin would make it easy for anyone to buy a different model and have it fit on a old docking station, I may be wrong!!! But as far as redoing the docking station for a new set, should not be that big a deal!!! Snaking the wires are the hardest part of the job and if you have a bud that could give you a third hand should be easy pesy! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The cradles for the Zumo 660 and 590/595 are not the same and are not compatible. If you buy a 590/595 it will come with a new cradle that can be connected to your Spyder but I am not at all conversant in the details of how to do it although it may be plug and play.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Which is better 590 0r 595

Thanks
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

595 has XM radio. Other than that they are the same. Both, I believe, have lifetime maps.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Here's a link to Garmin's 595 specs: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/536397

I have a 590 and I'm very pleased with it.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    Which is better 590 0r 595

Thanks
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    595 has XM radio. Other than that they are the same. Both, I believe, have lifetime maps.
    The Zumo 595 does not come with XM radio. An XM radio can be connected to the Zumo 595 wiring. There is no information at all in the Zumo595 owner's manual about XM radio. It's the XM radio itself that has the XM satellite receiver. https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=62446
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I just checked. The zumo 660 installation is identical to the zumo 590/595, as far as wiring is concerned. As previously mentioned, the cradles for the 660 & the 590/595 are not the same. You must use the 590/595 cradle for the 590/595 unit.

Spyder Garage

Saw this in the For Sale this morning ....
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...M-Mount-for-RT
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT Limited. I tried to update my Garmin 660 (which came with the bike) maps last week. It wouldn't finish the update and Garmin shut it down (not a wifi issue on my side). Now the unit is a brick/door stop. I contacted Garmin who said it was not their responsibility because it is a "Fleet Unit" and to contact BRP. I was told by them it was a Garmin update issue and they couldn't exchange or sell me a refurbished unit. Just a heads up about being in the middle of 2 companies passing the buck. Unless kind people at the companies change their minds I am stuck buying a new 590 and cradle and paying 1 to 2 hour install rate to a dealer. WOW!
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Garmin has an OEM support group/division, whatever, 855-607-2536, give them a call. Did you try a second time to run the update. I know, on the computer screen when you run updates there is a warning, "...we've got it now, don't turn off your computer, etc.," but once, several years ago I had my computer/Zumo just stop when doing an update; the progress bar just ground to a halt. I called Garmin and the tech rep told me to just try to run it again and I did it with successful result.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yes Sir. Update quit. Garmin had me try a factory rest. Didn't help. It never connects to my computer. Garmin did say today they do not have any old used, new or refurbished units and no parts. Although they feel it was not their responsibility as BRP is where I got it on the bike they made me an offer on a new 595LM. I will have to wire it into the Spyder or just use it with the cigarette plug in and a newer mount. I feel they went beyond responsibility on something that is 5 yrs old. I have used Garmins for 25 yrs of more and now remain loyal to them.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Somewhere here on SL someone posted about replacing a 660 with a 590/595 connecting the new wiring of the later Zumo to the Spyder's wiring harness. All the plug positions are the same. Itr was a little time consuming snaking the old wiring out and new in but was done. I did not want the old 660 when I bought my Spyder at the end of MY '14, bought a 590 instead from BRP and the dealership installed it. The only thing I had to do was wait about 6 months for the mount for the Tri-Axis handlebars. I think you will find the 595 an improvement over the 660. See posts #21 and #27 of this thread, https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...uestions/page2
    Cognac 2014 RT-S