Spyder Garage

Default just bought rs, dess problems in 1 week

i put this here because its not any model specific, i just bought a 2015 rs last week, already having dess issues, probably why he sold it, bad key errors constantly, i have studied it here till my brains about to burst, i wanted it turned off but can't find anyone in driving distance to do it so i am going to replace dess module , i will buy a manual of course , my question is, is the dess antenna on a 2015 the same as what i would buy now and should it be replaced, and if you have done it on a rs style handlebar is it a major job? thanks for any help, this is kind of souring what should have been a fun experience. well not kind of.

Spyder Garage

Take a look under this thread : D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and then go to post 779 and read the pdf file this person has posted

There is a Spyder Rally in Maggie Valley in Oct I am trying to find out if some one will be there that can disable this

I talked to some one in Missouri that is very very familiar with these machines He said that most if not all dealers do not have the correct version of software to disable the dess. Too pricey for them He also said that if the dess goes out completely that he is not so sure that it can be disabled. That would force you to buy a new module.
    Not much help but all I know for now. Going to my dealer now. Mountain Motor sports in Kodak,Tn

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
    i put this here because its not any model specific, i just bought a 2015 rs last week, already having dess issues, probably why he sold it, bad key errors constantly, i have studied it here till my brains about to burst, i wanted it turned off but can't find anyone in driving distance to do it so i am going to replace dess module , i will buy a manual of course , my question is, is the dess antenna on a 2015 the same as what i would buy now and should it be replaced, and if you have done it on a rs style handlebar is it a major job? thanks for any help, this is kind of souring what should have been a fun experience. well not kind of.
    Hi, Mike here ….. the part ( DESS module ) is available @ cheapcycleparts.com - about $135.00 ….. it's an easy fix plug n play ….. I know where it is on my 14RT …. I don't know where yours is on your Spyder …. CCP .. has parts fiche's that will show you where to find it …. As far as a Manual goes get one on-line ( Green Manuals ) floppy disk for about $30.00 ….. good luck … Mike …….PS I have posted lots about this issue on this forum ….

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTN View Post
    Take a look under this thread : D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and then go to post 779 and read the pdf file this person has posted

There is a Spyder Rally in Maggie Valley in Oct I am trying to find out if some one will be there that can disable this

I talked to some one in Missouri that is very very familiar with these machines He said that most if not all dealers do not have the correct version of software to disable the dess. Too pricey for them He also said that if the dess goes out completely that he is not so sure that it can be disabled. That would force you to buy a new module.
    Not much help but all I know for now. Going to my dealer now. Mountain Motor sports in Kodak,Tn
    im going to order the module today, probably the antenna too, since i can't find out for sure about it

Spyder Garage

Just got home from seeing my dealer..He is ordering the new DESS module and antenna for my 2014 RT . Hope this takes care of the issue. If not I wioll probably go to Missouri to have it disabled unless someone arond here can do it.

The person in service that I deal with is named Josh ( Mountain Motor Sports 865-932-7433) he has researched this issue since I brought it up to him.

Spyder Garage

Just got home from seeing my dealer..He is ordering the new DESS module and antenna for my 2014 RT . Hope this takes care of the issue. If not I wioll probably go to Missouri to have it disabled unless someone arond here can do it.

The person in service that I deal with is named Josh ( Mountain Motor Sports 865-932-7433) he has researched this issue since I brought it up to him.
    what are they going to charge to do it?

Spyder Garage

i ordered a module and antenna from 2wheelpros 168.27 total, and a service manual from fleabay, we'll see if it fixes it when i get them. yesterday i had to pull the antenna up around the key to get it to start, today i was going to show a friend what it is doing and i couldn't even get it to give an error code.

Spyder Garage

labor and parts about 450.00 they said module is 139.00 did not ask price of antenna.
    I am not too concerned with the money as with getting it fixed and dependable. If this error shows up again I will definitely
    be going to Missouri and have it disabled. I want to ride the bike over there as there are a few things I want this guy to install for me. But I want to feel as if I can stop and turn machine off and have it start again

Mine is same as yours Did this error thing one time and can not get it to do it again.
    If I could have had it disabled around here that is what I would have done.
    Going to the rally in Oct. Hope to meet someone that has had this issue

Thanks

Spyder Garage

If the DESS module and antenna is replaced do the keys need to be reprogrammed?

Thanks

Roger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No Keys are stored in the ECM. Corrected my post to reflect comment below.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    No Keys are stored in the ECU.
    Incorrect! First, for clarification, there is no module called ECU. It is ECM, Engine Control Module. The key codes are indeed stored in the ECM. The DESS's function is to read the code from the key and pass it onto the ECM. If the code is stored in the ECM an OK to start condition is turned on. The DESS module and antenna can be replaced without needing to reprogram the keys into the system since they do not store the key info.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If the DESS module and antenna is replaced do the keys need to be reprogrammed?

Thanks

Roger
    No. See above.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Incorrect! First, for clarification, there is no module called ECU. It is ECM, Engine Control Module. The key codes are indeed stored in the ECM. The DESS's function is to read the code from the key and pass it onto the ECM. If the code is stored in the ECM an OK to start condition is turned on. The DESS module and antenna can be replaced without needing to reprogram the keys into the system since they do not store the key info.
    ECU -ECM.. I am sure we get the point..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    No. See above.
    this was right for my bike, i replaced mine and it didn't need programmed, i have ridden it every day since with no errors.
    2015 rs