Spyder Garage

Default Genius Maps or Rever?

Hello all,

Recently purchased a 2018 F3 LTD with BRP connect and am trying to decide which gps tool to use considering they both cost $$. I am also trying to load a .gpx file in order to do a poker run tomorrow. I see that he Rever has the ability to load a .gpx file, but I do not know if Genius maps has that ability. Maybe there is a better app you may know of?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    1980 Honda - CM400
    1983 Yamaha - Maxim 750
    1988 Kawasaki - EX500 Ninja
    1994 Yamaha - FZR 600
    1998 Honda - VFR800 Interceptor
    2008 Buell - XB12

2018 Bitten by the Spyder Bug
    2018 Can Am - F3 Limited
    2018 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I prefer Sygic for general navigation. Rever has some need crowd ride features, but not raeally the same.

Sygic will import files, but not GPX. The good news is there is a free program called "ITNConverter" that will convert GPX to many formats including Sygic. You can also do a route on Sygics website and mail it to yourself, but if you already have a GPX the conversion process may be best

I do not believe that Genuis Maps can import a file.

Above said, Garmin still seems a little more reliable/flexible, but BRP Connect seems to be working OK now.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

thanks for the advice McClendons! I will check it out. For not I paid the 7.50$ a month to try out Rever. It allowed me to build a route (this poker run is all over the place ...lol) and save the route. Hopefully, it will display fine tomorrow.

thanks again!
    1980 Honda - CM400
    1983 Yamaha - Maxim 750
    1994 Yamaha - FZR 600
    2008 Buell - XB12

2018 Can Am - F3 Limited
    2018 F3 Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting that you can create routes on Sygic's web site. Thanks!

Will have to try ITNConverter.

Rever uses cell data and if you are in an area with no cell service then you won't have maps. It also has a new feature that you can upload the ride to social media and its a satellite view of the route.

Also, I have a Facebook page to talk about BRP Connect and it has some helpful videos along with many users to ask and get answers to problems and how to use it.
    https://www.facebook.com/Can-Am-Spyd...dmin_todo_tour
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I suggest neither option. Forget using GPS via your phone and BRP Connect. Its a nonstop exercise in frustration. Save yourself the extra expense and futility and get yourself a GARMIN and the handle bar mount for it just like the 2017 and older bikes use and you will be far ahead. It just works. Every time and loading your GPX files that you share with other riders and other brand bikes work as they should.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have found that there is no one best way to navigate.I like to use phone apps like Waze and Goggle for simple stuff in areas that have cell towers.But I use the Garmin that came on my 17rtl for areas without signals.I tried to build routes at home and install them onto the garmin but that can be tricky and a bit of a pain.I like Rever and Scenic to get ideas and route info for ideas and places to go.I really like Butler maps for east coast touring.I also carry a good Atlas and the night before a ride I sit down and plan a ride,look at all the rt numbers and get familiar with the area then write it all down on paper,which my copilot uses during the trip.It seems to work out pretty good that way,and it gives her something to do.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Couple of people replied with potential interest Sygic. The online tool I mentioned is discussed at https://help.sygic.com/es/sygic-gps-...on-the-website. Not the best planner I've used, but straightforward..

The conversion tool I mentioned, ITN Converter, is discussed at http://www.benichou-software.com/ind...emid=3&lang=en. It is VERY easy to use, open your file and sleet export file format " Sygic GPS Navigation 13, 14, 15, 16, & 17" and conversion done to second you hit enter. Like with any planner, you will then need to check the routes in applicable tool, as some maps are different etc. Nearly every time I have to adjust something.

Above stated, Garmin does tend to be the easiest approach to use IMO.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I suggest neither option. Forget using GPS via your phone and BRP Connect. Its a nonstop exercise in frustration. Save yourself the extra expense and futility and get yourself a GARMIN and the handle bar mount for it just like the 2017 and older bikes use and you will be far ahead. It just works. Every time and loading your GPX files that you share with other riders and other brand bikes work as they should.
    Not sure how you can save $$$ when buying a Garmin for $500-600 compared to Sygic $75 or Genius $95. The phrase " It just works" is because you've learned how to use it. Now the challenge is to learn how to use new tech.

Any new tech is going to be slightly different and takes some learning and practice to get used to it. I remember when GPS was new and it took some playing with it to figure it out. Even today, many can't create a simple route without using a computer. I haven't use a computer for years when creating a new routes. I use the device and now with Sygic I find it's as easy as Google. Giving up on new tech means you miss out on new stuff. It's a fun challenge, if you're up for it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. I liked that I could build a custom route on Rever, save it and load it for the ride. What I didnt understand is why it would only display a blue line for the route, but no map details (Streets, roads, etc.) it was just a blank screen with a blue line. Might be a software update thing... dont know. I will check out the other recommendations you all posted. Thanks again!
    1980 Honda - CM400
    1983 Yamaha - Maxim 750
    1994 Yamaha - FZR 600
    2008 Buell - XB12

2018 Can Am - F3 Limited
    2018 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I gave up trying to install routes, i just use food & lodging and go town by town.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Not sure how you can save $$$ when buying a Garmin for $500-600 compared to Sygic $75 or Genius $95. The phrase " It just works" is because you've learned how to use it. Now the challenge is to learn how to use new tech.

Any new tech is going to be slightly different and takes some learning and practice to get used to it. I remember when GPS was new and it took some playing with it to figure it out. Even today, many can't create a simple route without using a computer. I haven't use a computer for years when creating a new routes. I use the device and now with Sygic I find it's as easy as Google. Giving up on new tech means you miss out on new stuff. It's a fun challenge, if you're up for it.
    I use lots of new tech. Its my job. I also know when to give up on tech that does not work. We ride with a very avid riding club. GPX files are the standard map route files exchanged. They work on Garmin, TomTom, HarleyDavidson (Harmon), BMW and Honda nav systems. None of the BRP connect approved software will work with them. Google Maps for android and IOS do not yet support routes(ts reported as on the horizon), only destinations. The BRP connected apps loose connectivity, fail to connect and start and are generally far less than reliable for longer trips. Then there is the text far too small to read while riding and a user hostile user interface.

BRP should have used one of the industry standard user interfaces and operating systems, not develop their own that they have no hope of supporting long term. They simply do not and will never have the resources of apple and google to do so.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I use lots of new tech. Its my job. I also know when to give up on tech that does not work. We ride with a very avid riding club. GPX files are the standard map route files exchanged. They work on Garmin, TomTom, HarleyDavidson (Harmon), BMW and Honda nav systems. None of the BRP connect approved software will work with them. Google Maps for android and IOS do not yet support routes(ts reported as on the horizon), only destinations. The BRP connected apps loose connectivity, fail to connect and start and are generally far less than reliable for longer trips. Then there is the text far too small to read while riding and a user hostile user interface.

BRP should have used one of the industry standard user interfaces and operating systems, not develop their own that they have no hope of supporting long term. They simply do not and will never have the resources of apple and google to do so.
    Agree, they could have used Apply Car Play or Android Auto and everyone would have been happy!
    2015 RT L , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post
    Agree, they could have used Apply Car Play or Android Auto and everyone would have been happy!
    Everyone??? If they went with Apple Car play the Android users would not be happy and if they went with Android Auto the Apple people would be pissed. Im hearing the Goldwing owners with Apple Car Play are having issues so this is still so new it will take some getting used to. I paid a lot for the bike and will not give up on it. I've figured it out and it works great.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

There's really no issue with an Apple CarPlay vs Android Auto thing, plenty of vehicles support them both. It's just that its tough to amortize the cost of a head end system with motorcycles. Compromises are made. The market for nav software on can am spyder is miniscule.

Spyder Garage

I prefer Waze/Google for local. but for the custom rides, I use inroute.
    http://carobapps.com/products/inroute/

Provides during time, curviness, weather, elevation, wind. Can use waypoints to guide the route a certain way and save. You can then export as needed.

It's been my go to for longer rides and has been awesome.

Do need to mention I use my phone. Makes the hassle minimal.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Everyone??? If they went with Apple Car play the Android users would not be happy and if they went with Android Auto the Apple people would be pissed. Im hearing the Goldwing owners with Apple Car Play are having issues so this is still so new it will take some getting used to. I paid a lot for the bike and will not give up on it. I've figured it out and it works great.
    Most manufactures that support Apple Car Play/ Android Auto support BOTH. The tech is nearly identical and the USB connection API is designed to support both and identify the device connected. Yes, BRP should have used these two industry standard interfaces rather than developing their own that works for nearly no one.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Anyone looking for a custom route/map software with a lot of export file format or to use directly on their smartphone should look a www.MyRouteApp.com

I use it along with the MyRouteNav on my iPhone since 3 years and I love it.

A friend of mine is also using the same but he exports his file to its Harley.

For those who knew the old application "Tyre" that was there since many years, MyRouteApp is the new version from the same people.

That being said, 3 years ago, I tried about everything that was available for my iPhone and it was the best over all of what was available at that time. Maybe something else came out since, But MyRouteApp is doing everything I need and I'm happy with it !
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

I used the ITN converter software a while ago. What I noticed is that if the maps that were created are different than the maps you are converting it to the route changes... Ex... no freeways or tolls... that type of stuff. I just decided to stick with Garmin and bought the 595LM. Yes is is pricy, but it does everything a GPS should do without having to "mess" with it. Just my two... 1.5 cents.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..