Thread: power shift

Spyder Garage

Default power shift

When I paddle shift from first to second on full throttle at 7000 rpm I get a hesitation, but not in 3,4,5,6 which is quick and smooth don't know if there is a adjustment for it has anyone have the same problem it is on 2019 f3s special series model se6 semi auto
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

That 1st to 2nd hesitation is not an uncommon thing for Spyders, regardless of the motor they're running - maybe it's something BRP did as part of the de-tuning they've done to the engines?!

Regardless, that hesitation is one of the reasons I got my V-twin 2013 RT's ECU upgraded/enhanced, and others who've got 1330 motors (like yours) have found the same thing & the same solution! An ECU Upgrade might not be something you want to jump into immediately on a brand new machine, but if that hesitation becomes too annoying, you now know there is a solution, and a relatively easy one, albeit not quite what you'd call 'cheap'! But it can really make your Spyder lose that hesitation and get up & boogie from the word GO!! I reckon it's really made mine the Spyder I wanted & thought I was buying from the outset - and it's definitely one of the best mods I've done!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Between first and second is where neutral is located and I believe this has something to do with the hesitation.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    When I shift from first to second on full throttle at 7000 rpm I get a hesitation, but not in 3,4,5,6 which is quick and smooth don't know if there is a adjustment for it has anyone have the same problem it is on 2019 f3s special series model
    Why would you want to that "Power Shift" at 7000 rpm in first freekin' gear? If you treat your Spyder like that don't tell whomever buys it from you
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That 1st to 2nd hesitation is not an uncommon thing for Spyders, regardless of the motor they're running - maybe it's something BRP did as part of the de-tuning they've done to the engines?!

Regardless, that hesitation is one of the reasons I got my V-twin 2013 RT's ECU upgraded/enhanced, and others who've got 1330 motors (like yours) have found the same thing & the same solution! An ECU Upgrade might not be something you want to jump into immediately on a brand new machine, but if that hesitation becomes too annoying, you now know there is a solution, and a relatively easy one, albeit not quite what you'd call 'cheap'! But it can really make your Spyder lose that hesitation and get up & boogie from the word GO!! I reckon it's really made mine the Spyder I wanted & thought I was buying from the outset - and it's definitely one of the best mods I've done!
    Peter I beg to differ on the " not quite cheap " reference …… back in the day ( way back ) guys would spend multiple thousands of dollars on power increasers and not get near what they can do with our ECU for the money spent….. biggest bang for the buck I think I've ever seen ….. but, jmho …… Mike

Spyder Garage

ok thank you peter on a solution to fix the problem, only tried shifting from first to second full throttle a couple of times at 4, 5, 6, 7, thousand rpm all times would hesitate.
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Between first and second is where neutral is located and I believe this has something to do with the hesitation.
    Hummmmm, my 18 RTL has neutral between reverse and 1st. Can't get there from 2nd.
    Different tranny's on different models?
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Hummmmm, my 18 RTL has neutral between reverse and 1st. Can't get there from 2nd.
    Different tranny's on different models?
    Shift pattern internally for the transmission is R-1-N-2-3-4-5. Neutral between first and second same as most motorcycles.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Shift pattern internally for the transmission is R-1-N-2-3-4-5. Neutral between first and second same as most motorcycles.
    On mine I take it to first and downshift into neutral. Downshift with the R button for reverse.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The big thing that is seldom discussed on the ECU upgrade is the improvement in shifting. There IS a big difference.
    Back in the day we called a power shift what we do to pass. It is not a up shift, it is a down shift and go.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

When I shift from first to second on full throttle at 7000 rpm I get a hesitation, but not in 3,4,5,6 which is quick and smooth don't know if there is a adjustment for it has anyone have the same problem it is on 2019 f3s special series model
    I made a similar post approx 1-2 yrs ago on a 2015 F3's. I don't know why considering all the posts describing the transmission shift patterns-------But on my Stage 2 upgrade of the ECU---the problem is gone & the transmission wasn't touched.
    Thus for some reason the 1st to 2nd gear hesitation that I had with a stock ECU has been eliminated by the stage 2 ECU upgrade. Obviously the arrangement of the gears in the transmission had nothing to do with the delay.. It was in the ECU or ECM --whichever you prefer to name it that caused the problem.

As to the previous comment --Why would anyone want to power shift--It would be an impossible task for me to explain the logic needed for a Power Shift that has been in existence for over 50 years. I kinda miss that 4 on the floor gear shifter & even the 3 on the column on my 1953 Ford.

I will go one step more to explain the motorcycles with add-on thumb shifting powered by a air cylinder & solenoid. Flashing the ECU on the 2 wheel motorcycles gave an option to set the "Kill-delay"--wire's going directly to & grounding out the cylinder coils. Mine was set at 50 millisec at 120lbs air pressure--some had theirs set at 45 millisec-with higher air pressure 130-140 psi to the gear lever solenoid. 45 milli sec was close to a sheering gears problem.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Obviously the arrangement of the planetary gears arrangement in the transmission had nothing to do with the delay.
    I checked in the parts fiche and there are no planetary gears sets in the 2015 SE trannies.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The gearboxes of the SE5 and SM5 transmissions may be the same, but the shift drums are different. Thus the shift sequence of the SE5 is different than the manual. R-N-1-2-3-4-5. I would suspect the same applies to the 6 speed transmission. The operator's manual for a 2015 RT even states that the sequence is different between the SE6 and the SM6. Based on the evidence here, it looks like the delay is more of an ECM / TCM issue than anything else, although in the SE5, it helps to keep the oil level in band.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that my spyder is a semi auto model I said it was power shifting , what I should have said I paddle shifter in to second when it had the hesitation,
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    I checked in the parts fiche and there are no planetary gears sets in the 2015 SE trannies.
    I deleted the word planetary just for you--- :-) I was thinking Hayabusa--I had 3 of them. Still have the planetary gear assy downstairs.--duh---SE6 = semi auto trans.

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that my spyder is a semi auto model I said it was power shifting , what I should have said I paddle shifter in to second when it had the hesitation,
    Your were correct--throttle wide open & pressing the shift lever is "Power Shifting" The hesitation between 1st & 2nd gear is caused by the ECU/ECM "Kill Delay" settings. BRP long delay was on the side of being over cautious .

Spyder Garage

it won't hurt it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Why would you want to that "Power Shift" at 7000 rpm in first freekin' gear? If you treat your Spyder like that don't tell whomever buys it from you
    Called fun - cant hurt the stock motor because it just closes the throttle before it revs to high(torque limiter logic).

I have a new f150 with the twin turbo 3.5 liter - put it in sport mode switch to AWD and floor it- even the wife loves it and said my 1988 mustang gt couldn't do that!!

I love the 115 hp from this triple and plan on testing it daily.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Let it rev up just a little then just before the 1-2 shift relax the throttle a tad. Works for me!
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

ok terry I WILL GIVE IT A TRY THANK YOU
    richie spyder