Thread: P0172 reflash

Spyder Garage

Default P0172 reflash

Just got my 2018 F3 LTD back from the dealer for the second time for the po172 code.The dealer inform me that BRP is coming out with a TSB reflash for the problem the parameters in the Ecu need to be changed.Sometime mid September to late September he said I should be getting a letter, mean while they said to run 87 octane gas. But no problem to drive it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Po172 fixed

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Must not be a big issue as they say Ryde on with lower octane fuel... on the old twins it usually just need to replace the vacuum hoses....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    Just got my 2018 F3 LTD back from the dealer for the second time for the po172 code.The dealer inform me that BRP is coming out with a TSB reflash for the problem the parameters in the Ecu need to be changed.Sometime mid September to late September he said I should be getting a letter, mean while they said to run 87 octane gas. But no problem to drive it.
    Thanks for the update, since I also have the PO172 code. Going to call the dealer in a month and see if they can get me in for the reflash......meantime I'm riding it.

P.W.

Spyder Garage

Very good to know. Your problem had a number of us wondering what was really going on. FWIW, on two long tours, one just last month and the other last year I had to run 87 through several tanks full and I saw no difference in performance or mileage.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer this week and the reflash from BRP is not available yet. But like I stated earlier I'am going to keep riding.
    Speaking of riding, while out for a ride tonight (with the PO172 and egine light on) all of a sudden the engine light went out and now the code is cleared.
    Has anyone with a PO172 code ever had it go out on it's own like this?

Thanks for your time and help,
    P.W.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    I called my dealer this week and the reflash from BRP is not available yet. But like I stated earlier I'am going to keep riding.
    Speaking of riding, while out for a ride tonight (with the PO172 and egine light on) all of a sudden the engine light went out and now the code is cleared.
    Has anyone with a PO172 code ever had it go out on it's own like this?

Thanks for your time and help,
    P.W.
    Yes. my test ECU from Monster Fuel gave me that code. It is over fueling in a specific rpm range when it happens. If you drive some distance that is not in the affected rpm range it clears on it's own. Monster fuel corrected that BRP issue with the current flash. As a test to see if the code clears, try putting on a bout 50 miles in 5th gear at cruising speeds and avoid 6th. This is just what I recall that the problem is around 3,500 rpm?
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

I had code P0172 reappear after several dealer fixes and resets. Now mine was 2014 RTS with 1330 motor. Problem ended up being valve timing which required fixtures from the factory to properly adjust. 2000 miles later code has never reappeared. My code never cleared without dealer reset.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Yes. my test ECU from Monster Fuel gave me that code. It is over fueling in a specific rpm range when it happens. If you drive some distance that is not in the affected rpm range it clears on it's own. Monster fuel corrected that BRP issue with the current flash. As a test to see if the code clears, try putting on a bout 50 miles in 5th gear at cruising speeds and avoid 6th. This is just what I recall that the problem is around 3,500 rpm?
    Dennis
    Dennis,
    Are you saying Monster/Wick-it have a fix for the PO172 code? I called them back in Aug. and at that time they did not.

Thanks for your time and help!
    P.W.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    Dennis,
    Are you saying Monster/Wick-it have a fix for the PO172 code? I called them back in Aug. and at that time they did not.

Thanks for your time and help!
    P.W.
    Talk to Steve directly at Monster fuel. Early in the development of the ECU flash, P0172 was popping up. There were changes made in the latest version of the flash to address that. Wick-It probably is not in the loop about the flash development. During testing with air to fuel readings being optimal for performance, the Bike's sensors OVER REACTED with that code.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Talk to Steve directly at Monster fuel. Early in the development of the ECU flash, P0172 was popping up. There were changes made in the latest version of the flash to address that. Wick-It probably is not in the loop about the flash development. During testing with air to fuel readings being optimal for performance, the Bike's sensors OVER REACTED with that code.
    Thanks so much for the info.! I will call Steve at Monster first thing Monday morning and get the latest info on this subject....

Take care,
    P.W.