Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Larger (big guys / gals) bikers

A post on one of the Facebook Spyder groups led to this...a place for larger bikers to talk about their successes and horror stories regarding their riding experiences as well as a place to talk about / ask questions about equipment add-ons that make the riding experience better

I don’t have a Spyder yet...I am signed up for the riding experience in September and curious how well I will fit in the standard saddle.

I’m 6 feet tall, about 415lbs with a long reach and torso but a relatively small inseam of 30”.
    Airline seats are a little small for me, especially coach seats with hard armrests.
    Despite my size, I am mobile and agile...my doctor told me that he’s amazed at how well I am physically aside from being overweight.

I’d like to ride with my wife eventually and I’m sure I will be looking at a saddle replacement as well as perhaps even looking at suspension upgrades (plus getting rid of the Kendas) with extra weight behind me.

So larger riders, what has worked for you?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't want this to sound in any way offense ….. But I'm reasonably sure even the RT has a total weight limit of 400lbs. ….. sorry … Mike

Spyder Garage

No offense taken - I read 440lbs was the load limit for models other than RT (with that being 494)

I’m sure there are some folks out there exceeding that riding 2-up

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmattinson View Post
    No offense taken - I read 440lbs was the load limit for models other than RT (with that being 494)

I’m sure there are some folks out there exceeding that riding 2-up
    …. great then you are well under the limit …………. I'm 160lbs. so I never wrote down the maximums … which are important to those who are getting close …………. ride safe - ride happy ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Get a newish F3 limited. 2017 or newer, they have the updated power steering and the automatic rear air suspension. The U Fit system is very adaptable to different size riders. Im 6'3 315 and can ryde with anybody. A list of must haves include a Baja Ron Sway bar or equivalent, Elka shocks and ask for the heavy springs, a bump skid to protect your front end from bottoming out. Also an upgraded seat with back rest of your choice, I use a Mustang but Ultimate Tall boy is also pretty good.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Have the Elka shocks adjusted for your weight. You need 4 inches clearance on the front end with you sitting on it.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Get a newish F3 limited. 2017 or newer, they have the updated power steering and the automatic rear air suspension. The U Fit system is very adaptable to different size riders. Im 6'3 315 and can ryde with anybody. A list of must haves include a Baja Ron Sway bar or equivalent, Elka shocks and ask for the heavy springs, a bump skid to protect your front end from bottoming out. Also an upgraded seat with back rest of your choice, I use a Mustang but Ultimate Tall boy is also pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Have the Elka shocks adjusted for your weight. You need 4 inches clearance on the front end with you sitting on it.
    With both of these ideas, the bike will hold the load you just have to set it up to do it!! For what you pay for a new ride you should get a better suspension. But then we would not have all these aftermarket goodies for our bike!! You go for it, you will not regret your ideas!! Miles of smiles to you!!!Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

My apology, I guess I'm missing something but you understand the weight limit of the RT is 494 lb and you say you want to ride with your wife eventually. Yes, you can have Elka shocks adjusted for your weight but unless your wife weighs less than 79 lb you are still overloading an RT by a considerable amount when you add the normal "stuff" folks carry on a Spyder in addition to their own bodies. Your doctor is very diplomatic, much more so than my late physician/surgeon father. You do not mention your age but if you want to you know you can do something to probably lengthen your life considerably. Think of your family.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Look into custom seats, ones that are made specifically for you like Russell Day Long and Laam Seats. Ultimate and Corbin are not made for your measurements. Buy your wife a Spyder for her to drive, you will be more comfortable that way.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    With both of these ideas, the bike will hold the load you just have to set it up to do it!! For what you pay for a new ride you should get a better suspension. But then we would not have all these aftermarket goodies for our bike!! You go for it, you will not regret your ideas!! Miles of smiles to you!!!Good Luck
    All good info to go with..........I am have the 2017 F3-Ltd, have put 25,000 miles on so far, love it and the ride.....oh, I am 6'2" and 325#. I do carry a passenger if necessary, but I don't make a habit of it. My wife has her own Spyder (she had her's first) so I usually ride alone 99% of the time (and I like that). You go for it and enjoy!

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

I rode once with my wife when I had my STL to church. It was very difficult to handle and brake. I would not recommend riding over the weight limit. It is not fun and also not safe. My wife now has her own F3L also and it is much more fun that way.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Over weight limit !!!!!!! Upgrades - frame, wheels, brakes - I could go on!!!
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My apology, I guess I'm missing something but you understand the weight limit of the RT is 494 lb and you say you want to ride with your wife eventually. Yes, you can have Elka shocks adjusted for your weight but unless your wife weighs less than 79 lb you are still overloading an RT by a considerable amount when you add the normal "stuff" folks carry on a Spyder in addition to their own bodies. Your doctor is very diplomatic, much more so than my late physician/surgeon father. You do not mention your age but if you want to you know you can do something to probably lengthen your life considerably. Think of your family.
    Excellent. Well said.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't want this to sound in any way offense ….. But I'm reasonably sure even the RT has a total weight limit of 400lbs. ….. sorry … Mike

Mike,

I think the first sentence in the OP eliminates you and I from spyderlovers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Mike,

I think the first sentence in the OP eliminates you and I from spyderlovers.
    Yeah, but you and Mike are giants among men, Wylie, so you two automatically qualify

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Jay, I appreciate your insight.
    I have always been a bigger person, in high school at 16, I was over 350 lbs - likely more as the scale pegged and digital scales weren’t a common thing yet.
    I have lost weight over the last decade but I will not likely ever be normal sized (whatever that is).
    I exercise for 30 mins or more each day, burn over 1200 calories through activity a day and watch what I eat and drink. Bloodwork comes back at normal levels. BP is good at 115/68.

When i say my wife would like to ride, it would just be around in our development at low speeds - she wouldn’t get out on the road with me.

Spyder Garage

Other things to consider. I am also around three bills worth of biskits, and 6'3". My wife is way less and way shorter. She tools around on her rig like she was born to it. Me...not so much. Given she has had hers for three years and me only a couple of months. Still trying to cope with the three wheel thing after too many years to count on big bikes. Getting better tho'. However, I do believe that extra weight really effects the handling as in tilt and so forth. Being tall changes the vertical center of grav, which combined with the weight, changes the moment of motion when cornering. Things to think about I guess, on a rainy day.

Spyder Garage

I took the 1st part of the 2-day Can-Am subsidized learn to ride class today.
    I was the only one in the class (out of 4 slots) and had good 1-on-1 time with the instructor.
    We breezed through the class stuff because I scored well on the quiz and had the knowledge for the MSF test down mostly.
    We went out and spent about 1.5 hours on the course (and off the bike twice as the course changes were made) but all I can say is, WHAT A BLAST!!

Need to figure out consistent hand placement on the throttle and need to trust myself during the braking test to not let off the throttle anticipating the stop but other than that, it felt good and pretty natural.
    I drove the RT Limited and it handled my girth very well. Throttle was snappy and braking did not feel compromised.

Tomorrow is the testing portion bright and early at 7A

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck with the test, relax and enjoy the ride.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I ride a 2016 RTS-se with no problem...With my wife and I on the bike we are over 400 pounds....plus our gear....Have had no problems with handling or performance. Go for it. I put on over 9,000 miles this summer with 2-up riding. All I need to do is replace my Crappy Kenda tire. Good luck with what you get.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmattinson View Post

Tomorrow is the testing portion bright and early at 7A

Good Luck, & Enjoy!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Some will look at the weight maximums as merely suggestions. It has been done but I am not giving out names.

I like the idea of bigger people riding their own Spyders, so as not to get into dangerous territory.

We are nowhere near 400 # each, but I felt much better when Linda got her own Spyder to ride. She is much more happy now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My steed for today's class and testing
    Scored a 96 on the written and scored perfect on the riding portion. On Tuesday, I can add my M3 endorsement to my license
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now let the Shopping begin. Might want to talk the other half into trying it (taking the course).
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Yeah...I have a little time to get that going. I was laid off in late June so I have to wait until I am working again.
    The wife on the other hand has 0 interest right now...that might change once I get mine