Spyder Garage

Default I shutter at the thought!

Hey folk's, so I read some previous threads on the headlight shutters. and I didn't find a way to fix/replace a fallen shutter. I noticed today coming home from the VA in the reflection of a black Camry that only one headlight was showing. When I got home, I looked at the headlights and clicked the Hi/Low switch and though both headlights work, the RH side was blocked and the shutter just kinda twitched. I had LED's installed 4 years ago and have worked flawlessly. Is there a way to re-attach the spring/mechanism or just buy the whole assembly for 380.00 bucks?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2020 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Prefix
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete - When making the LED conversion, there is a lot of stuff getting crammed into the headlight housing. Depending on the brand, there could even be the little driver box inside there. It is very typical that over time, things shift around in there and the wiring or the driver box simply jam up the shutter and keep it from moving. Since it is twitching, seems like it is trying to move, but stuck in the LO beam position. So, first, just remove that headlight assembly. It all comes out as a self contained unit. Then remove the rear cover, and see what's going on in there. Removing the rear cover gains you access to the lamp holder assembly and you can see the mechanics of the shutter arm and spring. All of these components are behind the projector lens that you see when you're looking at the headlight from the front. You can't hurt anything. You can move the shutter by hand to ensure that it's free, and you can plug the wiring back in and test it, before you put it back together. FYI - the spring holds the shutter in the LO beam position. It can't really go past that. There is a metal stop on the arm. When going to HI beam, a little solenoid pulls the shutter open against spring pressure. If it's stuck in the LO beam position, the spring is holding it there. If that headlight is completely dark, then you have a bulb out. One of my LEDs only lasted a year and a half. Another piece of trivia - that projector style lens inverts everything. When you put it back together you'll notice that the shutter is actually on the bottom of the assembly, not on the top.

This should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BDPuf6_SBo

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

you have a 2014 and I don't think they were still using the shutter system on your model. If you have a dual filament bulb you do not have the shutter system. Mine has a single filament H7 bulb so needs the shutter. Now even so I do not find parts for the shutter only the assembly and external parts.... hope someone has been in there and will get back to you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

If you want to ride over I can help you with this.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    you have a 2014 and I don't think they were still using the shutter system on your model. If you have a dual filament bulb you do not have the shutter system. Mine has a single filament H7 bulb so needs the shutter. Now even so I do not find parts for the shutter only the assembly and external parts.... hope someone has been in there and will get back to you....
    Gene , I have a 14 RT and it still has the **** shutter system ….. As said above BRP gives very little extra room for any more wires, so His LED may have a ballast thet is outside but the wires are still inside …. Because the Spyder gets jostled on poor roads , what wasn't in the way may have gotten in the way and just needs to be moved a bit ….. jmho …. Mike

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Gene , I have a 14 RT and it still has the **** shutter system ….. As said above BRP gives very little extra room for any more wires, so His LED may have a ballast thet is outside but the wires are still inside …. Because the Spyder gets jostled on poor roads , what wasn't in the way may have gotten in the way and just needs to be moved a bit ….. jmho …. Mike
    I had to do exactly that after the first 2500 miles after I put my LED headlights in. It's worked great without any problems since........close to three years now, I believe.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who replied...I glad I explained my situation correctly. Thanks again
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

I have a dumb question about shutters. I looked in both my 2018 and 2019 RTL manual under lights and it makes no reference to the shutter system, and even goes on to further confuse the issue by showing an illustration with the high beams up top, with arrows pointing to the fog lights labeled low beams. I went out to run the bike and check, it clunks when changing from high to low beams, and all the light comes from the headlights like I expected, and the fog lights functioned like they should with the switch.

So, dumb question (suspect I know the answer)- On a 2018 RTL are we still using the shutter system? I did see a reference as to testing the shutter voltage. Want to know because LED's are in my future.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I have a dumb question about shutters. I looked in both my 2018 and 2019 RTL manual under lights and it makes no reference to the shutter system, and even goes on to further confuse the issue by showing an illustration with the high beams up top, with arrows pointing to the fog lights labeled low beams. I went out to run the bike and check, it clunks when changing from high to low beams, and all the light comes from the headlights like I expected, and the fog lights functioned like they should with the switch.

So, dumb question (suspect I know the answer)- On a 2018 RTL are we still using the shutter system? I did see a reference as to testing the shutter voltage. Want to know because LED's are in my future.
    Yes your 2018 uses a shutter system in your headlights. Now the European models have separate hi and low beams as you described, so I am wondering if that info ended up in your manual.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

It was a bad bulb. Taking bike apart wasn't to bad. Ordered from SlingMods... Thanx again for all the help
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala