Thread: Trailer size

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer size

Has anyone trailered their F3t on a 5' x 10' utility trailer? (Or do I need to look at 6' wide trailers?)
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Suggest you look at the overall dimensions in the operator's guide to make your decision.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I think you'd have great difficulty (if not impossibility) squeezing your F3T onto a 5' utility trailer. Your Spyder itself has a 5' wide track; you need manouvering room to safely load it. I haul my 2017 F3L (same machine) on a purpose-built aluminum trailer made to haul a slightly wider RT. I have 66" of unobstructed clearance between wheel wells. I can comfortably load the F3L with 3" of clear space either side (to edge of track/inside of wheel well). That's 5' 6" of width. Anything less would be very tight. If you had a 5' flat bed (with no obstructions), you'd be in danger of dropping a front wheel over the side with the slightest twitch or misjudgment when loading. Give yourself the extra space. Look for a 6' width. And, you'll need at least 8' of bed length on which to park the Spyder (meaning that your trailer, including tongue, will likely be about 12', or slightly more, long).

Also, make sure your vehicle has the necessary towing capacity, and that your trailer has the required weight carrying capacity. There are usually plates attached to vehicles/trailers which state this. Your Spyder weighs about 1000 lbs; add to that the weight of the trailer. That's the total weight you at least need to be able to tow (plus whatever the weight of any extra gear you intend to load inside your towing vehicle). Strap your Spyder down securely; there are loading instructions in your manual, as well as plenty of discussion in other threads here on SL on how to go about this. Check tires and grease your trailer's wheel bearings regularly. Hope this helps.
    20180501_143454_001.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

If your thinking of trailing your bike a lot, I would think about a nice v-nose covered trailer! It will stay cleaner in transit, and it makes a good garage to stow it in! good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

wheels & tires are 59" wide at the edges. You can use a 5" trailer provided it's a total flat bed with the trailer wheels outside. However you can back the spyder up onto the trailer and have plenty of room just make sure you have it balanced to the tongue weight is good (about 200lbs). I would add to the front shock bolts Eye Bolts. A 6 footer would be the best. I have a 6.5 x 12 enclosed trailer that I once dragged my gold wing around in, but now it's for my Spyder. It was necessary to trim the door jamb a 3/4" on each side about 24' up to make clearance for the fenders. They would fit without, but just barely, the added inch and a half makes it less critical in loading. More details and links on >ON MY PAGE< under trailertitle.jpg

eyebolt.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carsong View Post
    Has anyone trailered their F3t on a 5' x 10' utility trailer? (Or do I need to look at 6' wide trailers?)
    This is what I have done using a 5'x8' trailer view photo's, I use 2 x 1"x3" boards I on either side and the tyre's just touch them keeping the guards away from the sides, and I use S/S eye nuts on the bottom shock bolt just remove the bolt and turn it around and that way you still have the correct bolt.

20190322_105750.jpg20190322_105809.jpg20190322_105738.jpg