Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Windshield Sparkles

My 2012 RT has developed an odd situation with the windshield. When the sun hits it at a particular angle, there are a million "sparkles" throughout the whole windshield! They can't be seen if the sun isn't hitting the windshield from a specific angle, and they can't be felt at all. When I'm not at the exact angle, the windshield is perfectly clear. Cleaning the windshield doesn't effect them at all. There are no cracks or rock dings...just a million tiny "sparkles". Is my windshield at its end-of-life? Do I need to consider replacing it? Has anyone else seen this?

If I can, I try to get some pictures of the sparkles, but not sure if they'll photograph at all. Here's one...if you can zoom in, you'll see the sparkles. Click on pic and it should enlarge.

*** After reading all the great and helpful responses, I looked for some of the mentioned products, but couldn't find them locally. I decided to try some Meguiar's PLASTX cleaner and polish. From what I can tell, it worked! I tried it on a small section of the windshield, just in case it had a bad effect. The "sparkles" in that area are gone. We haven't had a bright sunny day since I did that, so I'll have to wait and see how the effect is in direct sunlight. If the sparkles are still gone, I'll use it on the whole windshield. My thanks to everyone who responded. You guys (and gals) are the greatest! ***

!!! Okay, an update on the above solution...it didn't work long term. Once the sun was fully out and shining, the sparkles were back. It looks like I'll be searching for a new windshield after all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by solidgranite; 08-29-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: did NOT work long term

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Sparkles

I have the similar issue, not on my Spyder, but on my SUV.
    Driving directly into the bright morning sun is the worst.
    The sparkles (In my case) are the result of the windshield being sand blasted during the vicious wind storms we have in Nevada.
    No pits or surface blemishes are visible just sparkles.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    My 2012 RT has developed an odd situation with the windshield. When the sun hits it at a particular angle, there are a million "sparkles" throughout the whole windshield! They can't be seen if the sun isn't hitting the windshield from a specific angle, and they can't be felt at all. When I'm not at the exact angle, the windshield is perfectly clear. Cleaning the windshield doesn't effect them at all. There are no cracks or rock dings...just a million tiny "sparkles". Is my windshield at its end-of-life? Do I need to consider replacing it? Has anyone else seen this?

If I can, I try to get some pictures of the sparkles, but not sure if they'll photograph at all. Here's one...if you can zoom in, you'll see the sparkles. Click on pic and it should enlarge.
    The Spyder windscreen is plastic. Oem is acrylic. It is common for acrylic to craze, which are essentially many, many micro cracks.

Crazing happens for several reasons. Age of the plastic, as it gets older it tends to craze. When formed, improper heating, cooling and forming can have this type of issue appear sooner than normal. Some products, even those in glass cleaners can cause issues.

The crazing can be essentially blinding if looking through the windscreen at all. At a guess without seeing it, likely you will need a new windscreen.

Spyder Garage

You must have your Spyder in the sun a lot as that appears to me that the plastic is drying out and crystallizing. There's no fix for that other than a now one. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I've seen this on a different bike after a water repelling preparation had been used on the screen. I've also seen it on polycarbonate spectacle lenses caused by flexing due to expansion in heat. My spyder has a polycarbonate screen, it says so on the screen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I have the similar issue, not on my Spyder, but on my SUV.
    Driving directly into the bright morning sun is the worst.
    The sparkles (In my case) are the result of the windshield being sand blasted during the vicious wind storms we have in Nevada.
    No pits or surface blemishes are visible just sparkles.
    Same thing here---- When I replace the windshield on my Magnum -- it will be the 3rd on an 06 vehicle.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Looks like sand pitting we get here in AZ. Almost imperceptible little tiny chips. Breaks the clear coat which then allows the sun to start yellowing the headlights.

Spyder Garage

Looks just like my Goldwing windshield did. I put off replacing it for about another year but it progressively got worse to the point of basically being opaque. So, I guess it's up to you as to how long you can put up with it.
    2016 RTL , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

These plastic windscreens have a definite finite lifespan, both crazing and micro scratches affect some of the different makes of plastic more than others. Even garage kept bikes seem to max out around the 10 year mark if they're ridden and the windshield gets cleaned, even if done correctly.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Here in NC, we don't really have sand storms, and I don't live near the beach. But the Spyder is in the direct sunlight whenever the sun is shining, and that's a lot down here. :-) There's no pitting or anything that can be felt. I have a feeling its a combination of weather and age.

Spyder Garage

I think you're right...its a combination of age and weather, especially the hot sun beating down on it. I only use clean water and a cotton rag (an old tee short) to clean it. The Spyder spends its life outdoors, so it goes through the heat and sun of summer as well as the cold and sun of winter. I'll look into a replacement. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Yup, its in the sun every day the sun is shining, and here in NC, we get a LOT of sunny days. :-) Time for a replacement...

Spyder Garage

I think about it this way. My eyes are tired, just as I am, yet I would never consider going more than a few years before replacing my glasses. I just make plans to replace as soon as I notice the screen glaring or turning white in the sun. Good time to upgrade to one of the fancy wind screens!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

I haven't used anything but clean water and a cotton rag on the windshield. I was tempted to use Rain-X but someone said it wasn't good for the plastic, so I didn't use it. I think the sparkles are the result of age and sun.

Spyder Garage

The sparkles only appear when the sun hits it at just the right angle. I'll have to replace it sooner or later, and I might as well start looking for one now. :-)

Spyder Garage

F4, one of the vendors on the home page would have just what your looking for I believe! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

As a glasses wearer myself, I know exactly what you mean. This is the original windshield, and the Spyder is a 2012 model, so 7 years is a good long life for it. I don't know about any fancy new windshield though...I'll be satisfied with a regular OEM type of replacement. :-)

Spyder Garage

I have been using PLEXUS plastic cleaner for years. It's a cleaner and also a wax for plastic. The wax fills in those microscopic scratches and really improves the clarity.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    F4, one of the vendors on the home page would have just what your looking for I believe! Good Luck
    If you are going to replace it, get an F4. Much better in every way. Comes in sizes: make it fit you. JMHO, Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem on my 2011 RT-S. Hope it doesn't blow up in my face while I'm riding. Good luck to all with the same issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I have been using PLEXUS plastic cleaner for years. It's a cleaner and also a wax for plastic. The wax fills in those microscopic scratches and really improves the clarity.
    + 1 on the Plexus. I've also used Rain-X for plastic, that seems to do well.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-620036...28516950&psc=1

Spyder Garage

I have a secret ingredient for my plastic. Picked it up when I was flying ultralights around the airport. The glider guys and some of the airplane guys used original Lemon Pledge. I used to use the high dollar stuff, but at a buck and change this stuff seems to work well for me. Got 8 years out of a poly-carbonate screen on my last bike before it began to sparkle.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

The problem I find with furniture polish it has no UV protectorates. I have had the same w/s on bikes I have owned over 20 years and rode over 160K miles. And it's no secret - I use polishes intended for plastics, such as Plexus. On tour, I carry a small can. Washing bugs and dirt off, I simply use a soft, damp cloth and wipe with a towel, using only up and down strokes. Too many bugs and I spray hydrogen peroxide on 'em using a spray bottle.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    The problem I find with furniture polish it has no UV protectorates. I have had the same w/s on bikes I have owned over 20 years and rode over 160K miles. And it's no secret - I use polishes intended for plastics, such as Plexus. On tour, I carry a small can. Washing bugs and dirt off, I simply use a soft, damp cloth and wipe with a towel, using only up and down strokes. Too many bugs and I spray hydrogen peroxide on 'em using a spray bottle.
    Mr Ricz,
    I've heard of the peroxide use, is there any precautions about using it around any materials? I once made the mistake of using Purple Power on aluminum, boy that was a mistake I couldn't take back.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mr Ricz,
    I've heard of the peroxide use, is there any precautions about using it around any materials? I once made the mistake of using Purple Power on aluminum, boy that was a mistake I couldn't take back.
    Hydrogen peroxide eats proteins, and bugs are mostly that. I have never had HP harm any thing on a bike, but I am careful to keep it solely on the w/s. I have used it on the painted surfaces on cars with no negative effects.