Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    My 2012 RT has developed an odd situation with the windshield. When the sun hits it at a particular angle, there are a million "sparkles" throughout the whole windshield! They can't be seen if the sun isn't hitting the windshield from a specific angle, and they can't be felt at all. When I'm not at the exact angle, the windshield is perfectly clear. Cleaning the windshield doesn't effect them at all. There are no cracks or rock dings...just a million tiny "sparkles". Is my windshield at its end-of-life? Do I need to consider replacing it? Has anyone else seen this?

If I can, I try to get some pictures of the sparkles, but not sure if they'll photograph at all. Here's one...if you can zoom in, you'll see the sparkles. Click on pic and it should enlarge.
    The Spyder windscreen is plastic. Oem is acrylic. It is common for acrylic to craze, which are essentially many, many micro cracks.

Crazing happens for several reasons. Age of the plastic, as it gets older it tends to craze. When formed, improper heating, cooling and forming can have this type of issue appear sooner than normal. Some products, even those in glass cleaners can cause issues.

The crazing can be essentially blinding if looking through the windscreen at all. At a guess without seeing it, likely you will need a new windscreen.

Spyder Garage

I think you're right...its a combination of age and weather, especially the hot sun beating down on it. I only use clean water and a cotton rag (an old tee short) to clean it. The Spyder spends its life outdoors, so it goes through the heat and sun of summer as well as the cold and sun of winter. I'll look into a replacement. Thanks!