Spyder Garage

Default 2018 F3L Radiators at 10,086 Miles

With the success of adding a filter in front of my 2015 F3s radiators I decided to do the same on my wife's 2018 F3L. I was surprised at the amount of gunk build up at only 10,086 miles.
    You can see how much gets by the screen on the F3.
    I went for a larger opening filter support by using 19ga ss wire. I used small aluminum angle and drilled holes for the wire every 1". For the top center I used flat aluminum with spacers made from scrap aluminum to allow for wire and the center tube. The black mark on the aluminum tube is where I ended the cut from cutting the tube down the middle for clearance of the tub.
    Not the neatest weave job, but it does the job of supporting the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

KOTT Grills from Spyderpops work well on the RT's. Not sure about the F3 though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised one of the vendors on here hasn't made something like this. I would certainly buy one.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

How does it hold up in the rain. Does it fall apart when it gets wet.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    How does it hold up in the rain. Does it fall apart when it gets wet.
    The filter media is fiberglass so no issue with rain.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    KOTT Grills from Spyderpops work well on the RT's. Not sure about the F3 though.
    Had Knott Grills on our RT and they work well. The problem with the F3 is that the air flow is through the back of the fans and you cannot see the build up unless you take the front end apart. Also as it passes through the fans any thing entering gets an additional push when the fans kick in.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Another idea I used nylon black screening in front of the grill on outside, ran 2 years just took grill off very little bug guts inside. Rain does not bother the screening and held it on with black screws .

Spyder Garage

Default Well done....

Always good to see the DIY project and how they work out. Should keep things clean in there for a good amount of miles more than stock....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Pulled the grill off (4 screws) my 2018 F3s and radiators were plastered with bugs, cleaned out and was going to build a mount for a filter like the one here. Notice you could pull off the steel grid off the back side of the grill by removing several clips. Sandwiched the filter in between the two and reistalled clips. Total cost was a $1.09 for filter and if works (to cold to ride now) I still have half the filter for next year.20210324_134418.jpg20210324_140432.jpg20210324_140118.jpg20210324_140014.jpg20210324_143822 (1).jpg
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage

Interestingly enough, I was cleaning out my garage to make room for the new Spyder F3-S that will be arriving tomorrow and I came across a roll of landscape fabric. It's thin, black, and porous so water can get through for plants. In this use case, air for the radiators. I expect it should hold up to the elements rather well as that is what it is made for and seems to be extraordinarily durable. I immediately thought of this thread and will be installing it before the F3 ever sees the street. I'll post some pictures for reference as I install it, but will be following Mully's post above. The only question is, will there be enough airflow? I tested it by blowing air through it and it seems like it should be fine. We shall see.

Spyder Garage

What I've done to help keep the radiators bug/crap free is to wrap the front of my F3 grill with black nylon window screen.

With the grill removed, I cut a rough screen template and cut and fold the screen on the back side of the grill as I go. I use Gorilla tape where needed.

I cut a small slit in the screen in each corner to gain access to the four grill mounting points.

For me, this method has worked very well to keep bugs/crap out of the radiators and it's VERY easy to clean. I also polish/wax all the plastic shroud area behind the grill.

Air flows freely as I've never seen the temp gauge get any higher no matter the ambient temperature. Of course, I'm in NW Minnesota.

IMG_1754.jpg

Spyder Garage

Alright, Here's the finished result using the landscape fabric. You'd never know it wasn't factory unless I told you. Was thinking about getting another BRP stone guard and sandwiching the landscape fabric between the two to get all of the slight wrinkles out. It would look even more factory then.

Rode the bike for an hour in traffic etc., and the temp never rose more than half way on the temp gauge. I was even stopped in traffic for ten minutes idling and the fans kicked on for about 60 seconds and cut back off. This tells me that there is enough airflow and the cooling system is operating as it should be. The temp outside today was 72 degrees.

This stuff is tough too. It is designed to resist penetration, but allow water to get through, and it is easy to cut slits to allow the grille cleats to pass through where needed when mounting it up. It is almost paper thin, which makes it easy as pie to install. It will not get saturated in wet weather and the bugs can't get trapped in between the fibers like on a AC filter mesh. They should hose right off, negating the need to replace it every year. We'll see on that.

I did a video of the process here: https://youtu.be/cAb2eBKJpqI

Here's a link to the product. Good stuff. One roll should last you the life of your Spyder.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-B...-50/1001492362

20210418_123913.jpg, 20210418_123919.jpg

Spyder Garage

I did similar to VitoNam in post #11. I took off the grill and used two sided carpet tape and put the screen material on the inside of the grill.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Okay folks, so this past Friday the ambient temps got up to 86 degrees and I noticed my fans running after I came to a stop after just having been moving at 55 MPH. With that said, it looks like the landscape fabric is too restrictive. So, yesterday I removed it and replaced it with Polyester Pet Screen from Lowes. This works much better. I didn't hear my fans kick on at all today after 300 miles of riding. With that said, I would NOT recommend the landscape fabric. It sure was good at keeping the bugs from sticking to it though. It was worth shot. You never know unless you try.

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpunk View Post
    Okay folks, so this past Friday the ambient temps got up to 86 degrees and I noticed my fans running after I came to a stop after just having been moving at 55 MPH. With that said, it looks like the landscape fabric is too restrictive. So, yesterday I removed it and replaced it with Polyester Pet Screen from Lowes. This works much better. I didn't hear my fans kick on at all today after 300 miles of riding. With that said, I would NOT recommend the landscape fabric. It sure was good at keeping the bugs from sticking to it though. It was worth shot. You never know unless you try.
    Good to know. I was going to buy some landscape fabric at Home Depot today. How is the screen working out? I guess the pet screen is stronger than the regular polyester screen and the grill on my '21 F3-S SS is the same as yours?
    Coastie

Spider F3-S SS 2021
    H-D Tri Glide 2012
    2021 F3-S SS , Black, gray, & orange

Spyder Garage

It works much better. And yes, it is much stronger than normal screen. Looks better than the fabric as well. Your grill should be the same as mine.

Spyder Garage

It works much better. And yes, it is much stronger than normal screen. Looks better than the fabric as well. Your grill should be the same as mine.
    Thanks.
    Coastie

Spider F3-S SS 2021
    H-D Tri Glide 2012
    2021 F3-S SS , Black, gray, & orange

Spyder Garage

Alright, Here's the finished result using the landscape fabric. You'd never know it wasn't factory unless I told you. Was thinking about getting another BRP stone guard and sandwiching the landscape fabric between the two to get all of the slight wrinkles out. It would look even more factory then.

Rode the bike for an hour in traffic etc., and the temp never rose more than half way on the temp gauge. I was even stopped in traffic for ten minutes idling and the fans kicked on for about 60 seconds and cut back off. This tells me that there is enough airflow and the cooling system is operating as it should be. The temp outside today was 72 degrees.

This stuff is tough too. It is designed to resist penetration, but allow water to get through, and it is easy to cut slits to allow the grille cleats to pass through where needed when mounting it up. It is almost paper thin, which makes it easy as pie to install. It will not get saturated in wet weather and the bugs can't get trapped in between the fibers like on a AC filter mesh. They should hose right off, negating the need to replace it every year. We'll see on that.

I did a video of the process here: https://youtu.be/cAb2eBKJpqI

Here's a link to the product. Good stuff. One roll should last you the life of your Spyder.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-B...-50/1001492362

20210418_123913.jpg, 20210418_123919.jpg
    Shows YouTube video isnt available anymore. Can you repost?
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Shows YouTube video isnt available anymore. Can you repost?
    I took it down so that people wouldn't attempt the mod since it was a failed mod.

Spyder Garage

Why was your mod a failure?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VitoNam View Post
    Why was your mod a failure?
    Vito, see the quote of post #14 by Thunderpunk below - my bolding & underlining of the pertinent bits

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I took it down so that people wouldn't attempt the mod since it was a failed mod.
    I see. Is taking the grill off pretty easy? I'm a new owner and haven't had to tackle that yet. Of course we don't have the small dog sized bugs here in CA either.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Yep. Grill removal is 4 torx screws then it pulls right out. You should have one in the tool kit.

Here ya go mate..A link to my recent foray.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...adiators-clean