Spyder Garage

Default 2017, 2018, 2019 F3s

Looking to buy an F3s. This will be my first 3 wheeler. Is there any advantages other than price and the obvious newer year between buying a 2017, 18, or 19 F3s. I mean are there any differences in standard equipment (such as shocks,anti sway, etc), upgrades, performance etc. Any reason to buy a 2019 over a 2017 or 2018. I have looked and can't really find any, but I don't want to miss any upgrades on a new model over the older one before I buy.

Spyder Garage

I got a 17 because I wanted a Daytona Edition and it was only made 1 year. I liked the drag bar setup too that doesn't come on any other model. I think the newer 19 models have the new display, but I like my analog gauges. Don't know of anything else gained performance wise as 17+ have the sport mode option..

Spyder Garage

Not sure what year BRP changed the power steering set-up, but my wife's 2018 steers much easer than my 2015.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

big difference between the 2017 and the 2018 & 2019 models dash. If you are good with tech stuff on your cell phone and blue tooth then the 2018 and 2019 is better if not the 2017 is better (my Opinion). Read some of the different post on the forum about the new dash for 2018 and 2019. They also updated the power steering on the 2018 and 2019 make it just a little better at low to no speeds. I'm sure others will jump in and tell you what they think. Good luck shopping!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Question is about the F3-S and the new monochrome LCD dash is for 2019 model only. Also no bluetooth or cell phone integration for the F3-S (any year), that's exclusively for the F3-T/Ltd and the RT/Ltd.

Other than this for 2019 the turn signals have moved from the mirrors to the front fenders, which is worst if you'll ask me...
    Oh and the special series for 2019 with that wonderful Liquid Titanium color scheme.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would tend to go with an 18. My reason for that choice is so that I could get the easier steering that was incorporated in 2018 and 2019. But also have the standard analog gauges like the 2017. I also like the turn signals on the mirrors better, which were removed on the 2019. In short, I would go with the best bargain, but 2018 would be my preference. But, either way, I would get the full hp version with the big sprocket, not the 105 hp F3 standard version. Another reason for getting the F3S over the F3, is for cruise control, a must for me.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

i have a 2018 F3. which I love. what I don't like is the 2019 is they moved the turn signals from the back of view mirrors to the fenders. Which I feel are not nearly as visible as hey are on the back side of rear view mirror. that alone is why I personalty don't want a 2019. what I do like on the 2019 is the new dashboard.
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your input, I know they lowered the price of the 2019 F3s quite a bit and you can get a 2019 in many cases cheaper than a used 2018. There is also the consideration of the warranty on a new model as opposed to used 17 or 18 model. But I think I'm leaning toward a 2018. Another question, what bags are available that can be taken off quickly leaving no frame or mounting brackets on the machine. There isn't much storage on the F3s, and normally for me that is ok, but for traveling or need of quick storage, bags are a must. Just don't want to have to get tools out and disassemble the bags or mounting brackets. Also do you find that the F3s can easily keep up with other regular motorcycles. I have noticed that some of the people that ride trikes seem to lag behind when taking off and it takes them a few blocks to catch up. I like to zip along at a good pace and don't want to lose that fun factor. I currently ride a Honda F6B which is fast, but getting older and it's taking its toll on my confidence in handling that 800 plus lb machine, especially with the wife on the back. Thanks again for your replies.

Spyder Garage

Maybe you should consider the F3T or F3L. They have the saddlebags and look nicer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I am, but I don't believe nether one of those has the sport mode or cruise control.

Spyder Garage

I selected a 2018 F3T to give me the side bags since I don't care for the look of the F3L with the top storage case. You can remove the top case on the F3L and have it look like a F3T but I didn't want to spend the extra money for a F3L. I have my RT-622 trailer I can use if I need more space for extended trips. I was able to get my F3T on sale and you may be still able to find some new or slightly used 2018's out there.

The 2018 and below F3T's have the 89T (others have 79T) rear sprocket like the F3S allowing for quicker acceleration. The 2019 F3S is know the only Spyder sold with the 89T rear sprocket. BRP introduce the digital dash in 2018 for the F3T and F3L which had some issue with the BRP connect. I like the new dash with the integrated Bluetooth that has been pretty solid, which is what I use not the BRP connect. They came out with a new upgrade a few months ago that offered a lot of improvements.

I was considering a F3S but it doesn't come with side bags, windshield or radio. You can add side bags but they don't offer the integrated look, plenty of windshields to choose from and you can add aftermarket speakers if you want music or bluethooth speakers in your helmet and stream from your phone or other music device.

The F3L, F3T and F3S all have cruise standard. The F3S is the only model that has Sport mode.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

I LOVE the top case on my 2017 F3 Limited - it holds a large pizza flat and a huge box of donuts. It swallowed with ease my great grandson's big back pack when I picked up for a four day stay over. It has a comfy backrest my passengers say and it houses the rear speakers. It also has a tail/brake light to which I added a flasher when the brake is applied. I added the Show Chrome rack which comes in very handy and stiffens the lid considerably. The "L" is definitely worth the extra money and yes. it has cruise control and heated grips.
    FWIW, there have been some posters on this forum who have had problems with the switch pod on the left handlebar, but none (that I have seen) with the 2017 F3. Whatever you get, you will like it once you get over the learning curve going from 2 wheel to 3. Good luck with which ever one you choose.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

F3T do have the nice integrated side bags, only they won't hold full face helmets there. That was a no, no for me (would need to go for the $2000 topcase or the F3Ltd)

No problem with the SHAD side bags for the F3-S. That and the fact that they are removable (with barely noticeable mounting brackets) suited me better. Room in the frunk is just enough for 90% of my rides.

I had no interest in the techie dashboard (I've my own GPS that pairs with my intercom set) so I went for the F3-S.
    Added the SHAD bags, the blue ridge windscreen + mra x-creen spoiler, the detachable passenger backrest and upgraded the rear shock. At the end I still stayed bellow the F3T price tag.

It was an easy choice for me, as I also love the "bobberish" look of the F3/-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are riding a F6B, a F3T would be a great move. That will give you about what you have now for storage. Again, I would stay away from the 2019, as they have gone with the smaller sprocket on all but the F3S. You should be able to find some good deals on a left over 2018 F3T.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I agree with MakoShark. I love my F3S more than I could have imagined. I have the Shad removable bags and they are the best I have had. Hold my full face helmet<size small, and are easy to remove. The mounting brackets are not that bad looking. Then by adding a rack and one of the many choices of top cases you have way more storage than the T or L models. Most top cases have easy remove mounting so you can remove the top box in seconds along with the bags for the hot rod sporty look then put back what level of storage you need to run to grocery or across country. I think the S model with aftermarket additions gives the very best options for looks and practicality. I previously had an RT-S and I am so much happier with this in every way. Good luck with your decision.

Spyder Garage

" Easy Brackets saddlebag support" are what I added to my F3-S works great with whatever you want to use as bags , when off don't even notice barrels that replace the rear hand hold ones .

Spyder Garage

Thanks Amack just saw those sounds like something I will try. I'll want to get bags but want to easily remove them for general riding and don't want mounting hardware showing. Rosierider I agree I think the F3s is the one for me. Can you actually add additional HP and Torq that is noticeable on these machines with just exhaust changes, and then do you have to do anything to the ECU? Also is the rear shock on the newer 2018 or 2019 F3s good enough for two up riding or should that also be replaced. I thought I read they had upgraded there shocks. Thank you all for your responses.

Spyder Garage

I love my Daytona, would rather ride that than my old RT or my wife's '19 F3L. I don't use the sport mode as much as I used to, everything on it just fits me.

Spyder Garage

I've got a 2018 model. and absolutely sure there was no upgrade there. Don't think there were any upgrades for 2019 either.

Mine kept hitting the wheel on the seat undercover while riding two up (about 340 pounds of combined weight).
    The two up option probably will do the job, but it's really just the same shock with a stiffer spring and no adjustment whatsoever.

If you plan to alternate between solo and two up you might want to look for something adjustable.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jengland View Post
    Thanks Amack just saw those sounds like something I will try. I'll want to get bags but want to easily remove them for general riding and don't want mounting hardware showing. Rosierider I agree I think the F3s is the one for me. Can you actually add additional HP and Torq that is noticeable on these machines with just exhaust changes, and then do you have to do anything to the ECU? Also is the rear shock on the newer 2018 or 2019 F3s good enough for two up riding or should that also be replaced. I thought I read they had upgraded there shocks. Thank you all for your responses.
    Yes you can have your ECU flashed to get more HP / speed. Just changing exhaust will not get you much if anything. Yes you can upgrade shocks. Here is a sale for 2018 F3S and they will deliver to your door at no charge. https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defa...18&make=can-am
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I LOVE the top case on my 2017 F3 Limited - it holds a large pizza flat and a huge box of donuts.
    That alone would have been enough to sell me on one.
    2019 F3s , Titanium