Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Migrating From 2 Wheels To 3 Wheels

Hello, Spyder Lovers!
    I am thinking of getting a Spyder. It's time for me to get that third wheel, but I have questions...
    Recently I drove a friend's Spyder for about 250 miles. Although it wasn't what I am accustomed to (I have a 1993 Honda Gold Wing), it was still a LOT of fun.

Driving around a corner in town is no big deal, but - out on the road, at cruising speeds, I found it "awkward" on those curves. It wasn't feeling terribly smooth. There was a kind of "wobble" that I felt in the hand grips. Have y'all noticed a bit of shakiness in turns? Could it have been just something about this particular byke?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks, y'all!

Spyder Garage

It takes some miles ( more than just a few hundred ) to get the higher speed cornering down pat. 5 decades on 2 wheels was a serious muscle memory to overcome---- so don't. At higher speeds, to overcome the centripetal forces developed, I step on the outside floorboard/footpeg, press my inside knee to the "tank" , and lean into the turn with a bent inside elbow.------ Yah, I know it sounds like a lot to do. But it's the equivalent of countersteering and putting a knee down on a motorcycle. Muscle memory takes over after a few hundred turns.

I also still ride ( an old, slow V-Max that I won't part with) and have no trouble with either.

Get a Spyder---- you'll love it and you don't ever have to concern yourself about picking up a 900 lb. motorycycle.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

You know if you already have a Gold Wing and like the bike the Gold Wing trike's look like the cruising dream machine, once you get use to the big bottom they have! Say one down in NH a few weeks ago, what a ride that thing looked to be, told the wife if we had one of those she would have to get a license and I would ride on the back and be the rose smeller! Just a thought! I love my ride, but would love to take that for a 350 miler! As far as the Spyder or and three wheeler I think the best thing is seat time, the more you drive it the more you will relax. Yes you feel the road, you feel the differences in tar, pot hole, cracks. And yes the wobble, you hit a ridge railroad track, ect, your going to feel it in the bars! You where on some one else's machine, tense, with white knuckles from squeezing the hell out of the grips feeling every pebble in the road, not wanting to put her in the rhubarb!! Try it again, go slower, RELAX, breath and enjoy the ride!!! Good Luck!!
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-20-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I really loved the Spyder on gravel parking lots! :-)
    I guess maybe it's true: You can get used to hanging...if you hang long enough!
    Since my Gold Wing is already 26/27 years old, I can't see the putting a trike kit on it. I considered getting the "Landing Gear" installed but a friend put it on his bike. He immediately went out on the highway. There was a malfunction. He crashed. He died. Some say it may have been his own faulty installation...it still makes me too nervous!
    I'm still shopping for a Spyder that I can afford. :-)

Spyder Garage

I second what the others have said about logging more miles to really get comfortable, like 1,000 or so at minimum. Clowning around on gravel may feel like fun but if you get pieces of gravel in the belt/sprockets they can destroy the belt and it will cost many shekels to replace. Since you are going from two wheels to three, the best first thing you can do if you buy a Spyder is RTFM. That's right, RTFM -- thoroughly.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I too have migrated from 2 to 3 wheels.. had a 1800 wing... then a rocket 3.. both too heavy due to health reasons. Got my spyder n boy I hated it from day 1... scared me... I was rubbish on it...a week later I was gonna sell it … but now 2000 miles later I love it... took a while to get used to it but ill be keeping it!

Spyder Garage

I came from a 1995 GL 1500SE. It takes time to feel as comfortable with your Spyder as you do with your Goldwing. Take your time don't listen to anyone else about how long it took them. You will become proficient in your own time. You will love it and not look back.

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear about your friend and the addition of the wheels. I had them on my wing . I did not have them come down until I was at a stop. They worked great. I am selling my 95 wing and Love my 2015 RT LTD.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Shakiness will go away as you learn to relax loosen your grip. turn with more of a pull then a push. Nice feeling to come to a stop and not have to put your foot down on the ground. 3 wheels driving technique is different then 2 wheels but both are fun. Live to Ride, Ride to Live!! Good luck shopping.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

The stability IS a wonderful feeling. On the 'Wing, I'm tall enough to get one foot flat on the ground...the other one is tip-toe only. Add a piece of gravel and things quickly get exciting! On my "long test drive," I never felt compelled to put my feet down, but I did reach for the brake and clutch a few times.

Didn't think I'd like a semi-automatic, but the paddle shifter is pretty comfortable to me. I'll have to work on finding that "sweet spot" where the shift is smoothest. That's the main reason I'm searching for a 2014 (or newer) - to get that "Smart Assist" feature.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutlori View Post
    The stability IS a wonderful feeling. On the 'Wing, I'm tall enough to get one foot flat on the ground...the other one is tip-toe only. Add a piece of gravel and things quickly get exciting! On my "long test drive," I never felt compelled to put my feet down, but I did reach for the brake and clutch a few times.

Didn't think I'd like a semi-automatic, but the paddle shifter is pretty comfortable to me. I'll have to work on finding that "sweet spot" where the shift is smoothest. That's the main reason I'm searching for a 2014 (or newer) - to get that "Smart Assist" feature.
    RE: Shift spots--2 cylinder 998's like high revs. 5000-5500 is where they like to be.

3 cylinder 1330's like 3000-3500 most of the time. You will find the exact "sweet spot" on the one you get. You will find that the "smart assist," (Eco Mode) is a waste of time. You will quickly learn to shift by ear and feel.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I Wingnutlori

By the nature of things, wear and tear at the feet of the hands, regretfully I sold my GoldWing 1800 to my boy, I buy a 2014 RT limited, semi automatic and everything goes for the better, side sability these as in a boat his pitch a little but have so accustomed.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

I think we all wondered at one time if we made a mistake getting the Spyder. Everything is different at first, but you will get used to it and feel more comfortable every ride. For me it was about 1500 miles, I remember feeling like I had a different bike! So don't worry you will get used to it.

Spyder Garage

I wish I had the same experience cause it would have saved me a ton of money in farkles and depreciation. I gave it 15k miles but in the end it just wasn't meant to be. Ride you ride and enjoy it 2 or 3 wheels

Spyder Garage

Today is the 2nd day of riding my 2015 RT to work. 80-85 on a Chicago tollway and I'm learning fast. I also figured out the bent elbow thing and totally agree about pulling no pushing to steer.
    2015 RT-S , large brake pedal Silver Platinum Satin / Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I ride a HD Ultra Classic, wife rides a 2018 RT Limited. Shes small and rides that thing like its nothing. I have to admit, when shes at work, and I'm meeting someone at a house,well, I take the Spyder..... I don't find it hard to go from the Harley to the Spyder and back. Once you get the "feel" it's there. I've started the search for a spyder to replace the Harley, but I won't tell the wife that yet...... I love being able to park just about anywhere. and not worry about the kick stand sinking into the ground..... Oh and REVERSE...... ha ha
    2018 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride my Spyder and Wing and like both. If on an Interstate for long distance, my Wing is best for me. My Spyder is great in the hill country that I ride for the most part. If I only could have one I would go with the Spyder. I kept my Wing as I could not get too much for it and it runs like a hose. It took me nearly 1,000 miles to get used to my 2011 Spyder. My 2017 is much better than the 2011.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Hello again!
    Today I did it! I bought a 2014 Spyder RT Limited. The ride home from Pittsburgh, PA took about an hour and a half. Of course, there was city driving...then highway...then (closer to home) was slower two-lane "state roads." At no time did I feel uncomfortable riding it. This bike handles like a dream so far!

My next BIG thing is to buy a J&M CB and antenna and find someone to install it. Wish me luck! :-)

I'll get a photo of my new (to me) silver beauty soon to share with ya.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyder family & to the Miles of Smiles Spyder Ownership brings to most!

So what're you doing in here instead of being out there racking up more Smiles?!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! Give it time, and miles. It will become 2nd nature. If you can, ride it to Florida for the road Warriors rally in Deland. I’ll check your alignment for free. If it’s off, I’ll fix it. You can meet some great folks, and have a great ride!! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new to you RTL. I hope to see Photos soon in the Spyder Garage!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Congratulations! Give it time, and miles. It will become 2nd nature. If you can, ride it to Florida for the road Warriors rally in Deland. I’ll check your alignment for free. If it’s off, I’ll fix it. You can meet some great folks, and have a great ride!! Joe
    What is the date of the rally?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    What is the date of the rally?
    Found it.

Spyder Garage

I live in Langhorne PA, just to a RT limited. Going from riding harley softail deluxe (been riding 23 years). I feel like I died and went to heaven. Being 5'1" riding big bikes all these years got to feel more like work than fun over the last few years. Each time I ride it , it gets better but you can't take curves like 2 wheels. I have a girlfriend who has been riding an RT since 2012 and she can fly around curves. It will get better and the wobble will go away once you relax more

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Congrats-----

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutlori View Post
    Hello again!
    Today I did it! I bought a 2014 Spyder RT Limited. The ride home from Pittsburgh, PA took about an hour and a half. Of course, there was city driving...then highway...then (closer to home) was slower two-lane "state roads." At no time did I feel uncomfortable riding it. This bike handles like a dream so far!

My next BIG thing is to buy a J&M CB and antenna and find someone to install it. Wish me luck! :-)

I'll get a photo of my new (to me) silver beauty soon to share with ya.
    and

Re-read my post ( #2) on foot and knee position. This technique is really for faster corners but even a little knee pressure on the inside of the 'tank" helps on most corners.

Contact motorcycle Dave ( a sponsor here ) for you CB needs.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow