Spyder Garage

Default What's the wind buffetting like on an RTL or F3L?

Newbie here, I'm looking at getting either a RT limited or a F3 limited. I have always had Harleys in the past. My curent bike a street glide. The wind buffing on a street glide has always been an issue. My question , is the wind buffing a problem on either of these Can Am's. I've had Ski Doo's for years and look to dootalk for a lot of information from other owners. So I figured rather than rely on the dealer I would ask the ones that ride them. Thanks in advance.
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

RT ryder here. I changed out the stock windshield for the BRP vented version. In full up position is is perfect for me to just look over the top (5'10"). On the hiway, at speed, I have little to no buffeting except when following large trucks. I also prefer the riding position of the RT. Do not have much time at all on F3s, so can't say.

Have ridden in monsoon-like conditions with no issues. Wife says the back seat is the most comfortable yet (came from thousands of miles on Beemers).

Hope that helps.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I've had both. In stock form RT would be better. I had aftermarket shields on both. My current 18 F3L has no buffeting with the F4 customs 25 inch windshield with the added airwings. I'm 5'9" and look thru the windshield. The way the body on the RT is shaped the wind would come around and up under my helmet. But not with the F3L because the body works come straight out. Blocks the updrafts. There are Baker wings for the RT that would help with that.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would say buffing is not a problem. You should try test driving each model to see what driving position you like best. They both have the same motor (1330) from 2014 on. the windshield on the RT is more adjustable then the F3 but you can get different windshields for both larger or smaller if you want. Good luck Shopping. Welcome to the forum!!
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-19-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I agree with CopperSpyder, you should test both models. While it may sound counter intuitive, the usual light touch on Spyder handlebars limits the buffeting to your upper torso, like when coming up behind semis or in very stiff crosswinds. Just relax and let your torso move around with the buffeting and the light grip on the bars won't translate to steering corrections that can make the Spyder feel squirrelly.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I put one of these on my 2015 RT...
    MRA 4025066125036 X-Creen Clear Bolt-On/Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade
    If you don't want to drill holes in your windscreen be sure to order the OPTIONAL clamp-on kit when you order the Spoiler. I love mine and wouldn't want to ride without it. My line-of-sight is just between the windscreen and the spoiler. Very little wind comes thru and the airflow goes up and over, very little dirt or rain gets on the tail end.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I bought a F3 Limited and am so glad I did. First off, the adjustable floorboards were the deal maker as I was not comfortable on the RT. Far less Tupperware makes it much easier to service - that's important as I intend to do my own maintenance. The top trunk is cavernous, it not only will hold 2 helmets and more, you can take home a large pizza and a big box of donuts. That was only for research, you understand. The oil dipstick and brake reservoir are easily accessed under the right side service panel that removes with the quarter twist of a knob. Yes, the stock windshield is too short, but I cured that with a 16" 7Jurock with a flip. That works for me. The icing on the cake are the myriad compliments I get, especially from non riders. It will make an extrovert of you if you aren't one already.DSCN2657.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info guys. Went to my dealer yesterday and they don't have a F3 limited set up. I am going to test drive an RT today. This will be my first ride on a Spyder. It's almost like when I was a kid at Christmas , I'm excited.

Spyder Garage

If you've been on bikes up till now, try to get over the initial feeling of... disorientation. I had it my first ride, and only advice from here got me to buy one anyway.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

F3-L owner here. I hated the oem shield at anything over 50 mph. I put a 25” f4 on and it helped a bunch but didn’t eliminate buffeting at interstate speeds. Once i added the f4 wings, things got much better, but not totally solved. Then I happened to discover that cracking open the windshield vent about 1” put me in a pocket of calm air, even at 90+ mph.

Spyder Garage

There are too many factors at play to answer that in relation to models with OEM screens, Papa103. Your height, your width, your sensitivity to wind etc etc etc. Suffice to say that there are enough aftermarket screen makers with enough models, and enough searchable information by riders on this site, to allow you to purchase an aftermarket screen that fits your needs if your OEM screen is not working for you......but the RT does provide a more protected ride than the F3-L in their base forms due simply to its greater amount of tupperware in front of the rider.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The test drive went better than planned. I put 75 to 100 miles on the test Spider. The more I rode the more I liked. They are putting the 2019 RTL orange together (was in the crate) and I should be riding this week end. Thanks for helping me spend my money. LOL

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where is the dealer located in Maine? Just wondering I lived in the Biddeford / Saco area at one time.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If the dealership is close enough for you, stop by and ask them to give you the operator's guide. Take it home and read it thoroughly -- twice at least. Sounds simple and a waste of time but there is a boat load of very useful information in it and it can save you time having to start a thread on SL saying, "How do I...?"
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I would say buffing is not a problem. You should try test driving each model to see what driving position you like best. They both have the same motor (1330) from 2014 on. the windshield on the RT is more adjustable then the F3 but you can get different windshields for both larger or smaller if you want. Good luck Shopping. Welcome to the forum!!
    x 2. A test drive is a good idea on both flavors...so that you can see what you like best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red