Spyder Garage

Default Time for new CVT belt??

Has anyone had to change your belt yet? If so, how many miles did you get out of the old one? Also, I understand that you get a notice on the display when belt is worn and ready for change. If you get warning on long trip, how long can you go after first getting the warning before actually changing the belt??

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's all new right now.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The manual says change every 12K miles. I assume the dash warning comes on about 12K miles? If its not changed the bike is still ridable. Worst thing that will happen is you blow the belt. Which means you break it and shred it to pieces. Doesn't hurt anything (although it is a mess to clean up) but the bike isn't ridable until you put a new belt on.

Spyder Garage

I have 7.500 miles on mine (absolut no problems) - my dealer told me, if the belt-warning comes in the Display, it should be no Problem to ride another 1.500 miles with it ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I have 9000 miles and run my ryker so I'm starting to think about the belt now and then. Good to hear that the belt has a decent amount of driving on it even after you get the 1st warning..

Spyder Garage

Default as I see it....

This would be a time lapse warning and not a condition warning. So should it come up you would have plenty of time to make an inspection and or change as needed. A lot will depend on the type of ryding you do and where you do it.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just change it every 12,000 miles, unless you ride conservatively, in which case you probably can go twice that far. I'm sure there is quit a safety margin in that number. Unless you are on a long trip, you could conceivably ride until it breaks. Even on a long trip, you could carry a spare belt.