Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    Hi hogrider!
    When you mounted the Vredestein Quatrac 5 on your 2018 RTL rear, which side did you mount the Inner Side to?
    I see the original question was asked and appears it was mounted on the right side. It probably won't matter but I am curious. Thanks
    I mounted the inner marked side against the belt for no particular reason. Looking at the tire, I kinda wished I would have mounted it the other way, as the rain groove is smaller on the outer side, and may be less liable to pick up rocks. So far I like the tire fine, does everything I need it to do. Still waiting to do two tests, wet skidpad (to see what happens when it actually comes loose) and hydroplane response.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Paul, the tire you mounted for your friend was an asymmetrical tire if it had an Inside and Outside label. Also, the General Altimax RT43 is readily available, the Yokohama S Drive is not.
    The owner of the tire decided what tire he wanted and the orientation it was mounted in. This was a while back and s.Drives were still readily available. His choice in all parameters.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I know each manufacturer is different as to how they measure the tires, but the specs give a little insight as to the tires. In example, Vredestein's UTGQ is 400, but that may be equivalent to some other brand rating their tires at 300, or 500. Diameter measurements are probably more exacting as published, but there are still slight differences.

Published numbers:
    Vredestein- Hard to find specs on these tires. (Discounttirezone) 205/60R15- Diameter is 25.1" Circumference is 78.85", Math is 1 mile @ 63360 Inches / 78.85 (single roll out of tire) = 803 revs per mile. ± 4.6% larger than OEM.

Yokohama (Tirerack) 205/55R15- Diameter is 23.8". Circumference is 74.77". Same math yields 847 revs per mile. Minutely smaller than OEM.

Been a while since I decided on and installed our rear tire. Pretty certain I accomplished a true measured roll out of the Kenda oem tire. It was very close in inflated measured diameter and roll out. 840 as you posted vs 847 revs/mile is negligible difference. Not even a 1% change.

Others have used the rear tire size to correct speedometer errors. For us, I know the small error and have no concern for it. If traveling, I merely use the GPS data and set CC based off that.

Kenda has no published data that I have found.
    Generic 225/55R15 Size from Tacomaworld Tire Size calculator. Diameter 23.86" Circumference is 74.95" 845 revs per mile
    Tape I pulled on OEM Kenda 225/55R15. Diamaeter is 24.00" Circumference is 75.39" 840 revs per mile

So I was interested in correcting the built in speedometer error while also minimizing sizing differences between front and rear (new tires vs OEM), and couldn't get there with the same size or smaller tire. My opinion only mind you, I'm sure others will think I'm an idiot.

Been a while since I decided on and installed our rear tire. Pretty certain I accomplished a true measured roll out of the Kenda oem tire. It was very close in inflated measured diameter and roll out. 840 as you posted vs 847 revs/mile is negligible difference. Not even a 1% change.

As for tire spec data, I have always referenced the tire manufacturers website data. While researching what tire I wanted to use, I did find some discrepancies in the web based tire sales sites vs the tire manufacturers website info.

Ironic to see the Tacomaworld referenced here again, been a Tacoma owner long before a Spyder owner and know the group well. Downside of any tire comparator is that two identically sized tires, often have totally different dimensions when actually measured.

Others have used the rear tire size to correct speedometer errors. For us, I know the small error and have no concern for it. If traveling, I merely use the GPS data and set CC based off that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

As for tire spec data, I have always referenced the tire manufacturers website data. While researching what tire I wanted to use, I did find some discrepancies in the web based tire sales sites vs the tire manufacturers website info.

Ironic to see the Tacomaworld referenced here again, been a Tacoma owner long before a Spyder owner and know the group well. Downside of any tire comparator is that two identically sized tires, often have totally different dimensions when actually measured.

I reckon I'm OCD about speedometers. I've measured everything I've ever drive against a good GPS, and all of the American based cars were exactly zero percent wrong on the speedometers. I know there's a law about motorcycle speedometers, but it just bothers me for some reason. The "Speedo Healer" was made for folks like me.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    So what do you recommend? And in what sizes?
    Spyder rear tire:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...num=055VR5V701

Spyder Garage

I guess I'll be a test dummy. I recently installed Vredestein Quatrac 5 on front and rear with the Inside marking on the brake side. Friday looks like i will be riding in the rain for quite a bit if the weather don't change will give an update after.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

I always look at this guy's videos for advise as he does lots of mileage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0VfkJRKHOM
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    That looks a good bet, wet grip A, very quiet, and reasonably fuel efficient. I'd give it a go for a summer tyre.
    https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyre...V-RPB/R-331336

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    An ultra high performance tire like that is great for folks who live in areas where it doesn't get cold in the winter but for those of us who live in areas with four distinct seasons (a nice way of saying cold), it is problematic.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    An ultra high performance tire like that is great for folks who live in areas where it doesn't get cold in the winter but for those of us who live in areas with four distinct seasons (a nice way of saying cold), it is problematic.
    The Vredsteins have the nice little mountain with snowflake symbol, so they'll probably perform well long after I decide it's too cold.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 is not an ultra high performance tire, it is classed as a grand touring all season tire on Tire Rack. I have them on the front of my Spyder and love them.

2013 RT-S SE 5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know the origin of the article but it was in a motoring magazine. It talked about the benefits and intentions of Asymetric tyres.

One area was pumping water out of the contact patch as it described it. The action can be more aggressive with an Asymetric tread pattern as you still have a larger chunk/portion of the tread that is around the circumference of one side of the tread pattern.
    E.g The Left tyre has an almost solid rib of tread around the inner edge, acts like a labyrinth seal, and a pattern on the right hand side that promotes pumping water out from the contact patch.

This works well on vehicles where you have two tyres counteracting one another.

I imagine this doesn't work well where you have one wheel like the Spyder rear. In the wet the tyre will be performing its pumping action and wanting to push the rear end away from the "jet of water". Using the example above, if you fit an Assym tyre meant for the Left Hand Side, it will want to push water to the left, but there is no opposing force to counteract - end result a desire for the tyre to slide away form the water being evacuated from the contact patch.

AssymT.JPG

From my posts you've seen aquaplaning is already a big issue with the RTL, and asym tyre pushing water to one side will see you doing more sideways slides than you desire (mind you if that floats your boat don't let it stop you)
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Please keep it polite people, & leave out the personal attacks. And while I'm at it, can I remind everyone that if there's any 'slapping' to be done about whatever's been posted, it's the Mod/Admin Team's job to do that, no-one else's.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2019 at 05:47 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I don't know the origin of the article but it was in a motoring magazine. It talked about the benefits and intentions of Asymetric tyres.

One area was pumping water out of the contact patch as it described it. The action can be more aggressive with an Asymetric tread pattern as you still have a larger chunk/portion of the tread that is around the circumference of one side of the tread pattern.
    E.g The Left tyre has an almost solid rib of tread around the inner edge, acts like a labyrinth seal, and a pattern on the right hand side that promotes pumping water out from the contact patch.

This works well on vehicles where you have two tyres counteracting one another.

I imagine this doesn't work well where you have one wheel like the Spyder rear. In the wet the tyre will be performing its pumping action and wanting to push the rear end away from the "jet of water". Using the example above, if you fit an Assym tyre meant for the Left Hand Side, it will want to push water to the left, but there is no opposing force to counteract - end result a desire for the tyre to slide away form the water being evacuated from the contact patch.

AssymT.JPG

From my posts you've seen aquaplaning is already a big issue with the RTL, and asym tyre pushing water to one side will see you doing more sideways slides than you desire (mind you if that floats your boat don't let it stop you)
    Is there any evidence the amount of sideways force generated by the water evacuation is sufficient to affect stability? Or is this conjecture?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HI UtahPete

Para's 1, 2, and 3 where summarizing the article from memory.

Para 4 is High School Physics. You have forces working in multiple directions (causing the vehicle to move forward, resistance from wheels/tyres/bearings at the front, then another from tyre grip, then another from tyre deformation, then another when tyre loses its contact patch with the road surface, and the last when the tyre is performing its pumping action).

Note I didn't say "always". There would no doubt be times where the tyre will run along happily in the wet, its those other times where you have fluids laying on the road surface from rain, spillage, Irrigation overspray... the point is there is the potential for an Asym tyre to generate a force that is not desirable at a time where you'd possibly prefer to have all things working in your favor (e.g. cornering where you'll have the sideways forces already and an Asym tyre behavior ).

I'm also not suggesting anyone not buy them, my preference is to not use them on my RTL, something the tyre dealership supported. We have a very limited range of tyre options here in Aus compared to the US, so I do what I normally do and called manufacturers/importers looking for 225/50 R15 tyres. Pirelli had a tyre but was Asym, and the guy quoted basically the same reasons not to fit it to the RT. Ditto for Yokohama, who suggested Nankang. On a side note both had a chuckle when I said our Spyders come with Kenda's...
    Last edited by askitee; 08-23-2019 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Notation
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

TEST DUMMY UPDATE: I rode toady about 150 miles in pouring rain. I never had any problems even with the standing water in the road. We hit speeds up to 65 mph through winding roads, up and down hills again it was literally pouring for several hours. I mounted my rear with the inside toward the right/brake side.

I'm no tire professional, all I can say is I had no hydroplane issue at all.
    To be continued....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    TEST DUMMY UPDATE: I rode toady about 150 miles in pouring rain. I never had any problems even with the standing water in the road. We hit speeds up to 65 mph through winding roads, up and down hills again it was literally pouring for several hours. I mounted my rear with the inside toward the right/brake side.

I'm no tire professional, all I can say is I had no hydroplane issue at all.
    Thank you Test person …. imho " asymmetrical " is more Sales hype than any real benefit you will get from using a tire that is designated " asymmetrical " …...….. it also sounds like you approve of the Vredestein's ………. Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike

I personally approve of them, I like how they ride and handle. We just turn over 600 miles on them this weekend alone through some hills, and curvy road and I had zero issues. The first day as I said it poured and I had nothing but confidence the Vredestein Quatrac 5. On all three.
    To be continued....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Mike

I personally approve of them, I like how the ride and handle. We just turn over 600 miles on them this weekend alone through some hills, and curvy road and I had zero issues. The first day as I said it poured and I had nothing but confidence the Vredestein Quatrac 5. On all three.
    Glad I could assist in your tire choice and very glad you like them ….. thanks …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Further to my earlier post about how little untoward effect these mildly asymetric tires have on your handling, you might want to try this little quiz that may just put the 'symetric vs asymmetric' discussion into a clearer perspective....

Sorry, I must apologise for the 'quality' of the dodgy pics up front, and cos I'm not at home or near the skid pan today, I only had access to few tires, but I think they'll serve, so here goes: -

Which of these 6 tires do you consider to be symetric &/or can be readily run in either direction (possibly but not necessarily on a Spyder) & which do you think are asymetric &/or should only be run in one direction?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I ain't scared, so I'll take a stab at it.

#2 is the only asymmetrical tire, #1 is directional, #1,3,4,5,6 are symmetrical.

2013 RT-S SE 5

Spyder Garage

Thanks for being brave enough to give it a go, and I'll say that you are correct about #1 being directional

But while I will neither confirm or deny anything about any/all the others, I think I'll hold off on the reveal for them for a while, maybe see if anyone else wants to put up their thoughts...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Further to my earlier post about how little untoward effect these mildly asymetric tires have on your handling, you might want to try this little quiz that may just put the 'symetric vs asymmetric' discussion into a clearer perspective....

Sorry, I must apologise for the 'quality' of the dodgy pics up front, and cos I'm not at home or near the skid pan today, I only had access to few tires, but I think they'll serve, so here goes: -

Which of these 6 tires do you consider to be symetric &/or can be readily run in either direction (possibly but not necessarily on a Spyder) & which do you think are asymetric &/or should only be run in one direction?
    I'll take a stab at it, but I'm not a tire guru.

1 looks to be symmetrical and directional.
    2-5 may all be asymmetric as the grooves (sipes?) do not mirror each other. I'm a little fuzzy if the asymmetric description would only count for the very outer bands.
    6-Can't say. Shadow is in the way.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

you are confusing symmetric with directional. All but one of those tires are symmetric, IE the same left to right. The first one, a Kenda is directional but not asymmetric. and can only run in one direction. Directional are NOT what this thread are speaking of.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    you are confusing symmetric with directional. All but one of those tires are symmetric, IE the same left to right. The first one, a Kenda is directional but not asymmetric. and can only run in one direction. Directional are NOT what this thread are speaking of.
    Actually, no, JC. You too have fallen for it & got all but the first one incorrect.

And the confusion re symetric/asymetric vs directional/non-directional bit is purposefully and partly the point of putting up the quiz. Anyone else want to take a punt?

Ps, h0gr1der, you got the first one correct on all counts, and have come very close re the rest too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Ps
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!