Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Passenger bouncing and back pain

I have a cousin who has been riding as a pax with her m/c chaplain husband on a Harley for years and now for the past 3 or 4 years on a smaller touring bike (Suzuki?). They are now selling the current bike because she has arthritis in her spine, and any bump while riding causes pain that lasts for days. So, my question is: do any of you have experience as a passenger, or with a passenger, who has chronic back pain? How smooth and comfortable is an RT, or maybe a Ryker, for such a person? Since she is quite sensitive to bounces of the bike is riding as a pax on any Spyder feasible? They are both in their 70's.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes ..... my wife who has been my passenger
    for 35 years and several hundred thousand miles
    on 2 wheeled motorcycles, went on about a 125 mile poker run
    when we first got the Spyder
    and we almost had to take her to the hospital because of the
    bouncing and no leaning on the Spyder, she has had a bad back for 30 years and never
    had any problem on 2 wheels, her other problem was feeling like she was going to be
    thrown off in the corners because the Spyder don’t lean
    she will go on my motorcycle anytime but not on
    the Spyder.
    This is her words...
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 08-19-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Of course, YMMV.... but for what it's worth - My wife, who has suffered from chronic back pain but still been my otherwise willing passenger on 2 wheeled machines (mostly big German or Jap bikes) for the last 40 odd years & more kms than I like to think about, would only ever ryde about 1000km before requiring a few days break completely away from the bike to recuperate. So on the very first long distance trip we took ryding the RT, I kept expecting the call for a few days off at about the 1000km mark, but it never came! We took a few days to travel just over 2500km (the last day/800km or so in duck-drowning pouring rain!) with no complaints or calls for a break from ryding, but that was (initially) our furthest planned target on that particular trip, so I told her that was it for a while - to which she replied "Do we have to stop here? I'm really enjoy it and I want to keep going, this is heaps nicer than riding on the 'Wing!" So the next morning we carried on, and on that trip we ended up doing just over 10,000 km with no full days off the Spyder in just under 3 weeks!! AND she never complained about her back once but still got off in the driveway at home & said "that was fantastic, can't we keep going?"

We've since done a few more 3 or 4 week ryding trips of about 10,000km or so on the Spyder (& a couple of 1000km in 12 hours rydes too!) and we are planning on taking a couple of months to do a full lap soon, an almost 30,000 km circumnavigation of the country! That's something I've done a couple of times before on 2 wheels, only travelling solo, cos she always bailed on those trips due to her back & that 1000km 2 wheeler pillion limit, but she's really keen to do it on the back seat of Spyder! (I might even get her on the front seat for a bit, too!!) And with her support & enthusiastic collaboration, we are also gradually gathering info for & planning an even longer 2-up Spyder trip (if our health & meds protocols hold up) aiming at something involving hitching a ride across a big wet ditch or two & hopefully pausing 1/2-way round to spend a Christmas with the Grandkids in the UK; but please don't tell them that, I want it to be a surprise!

Spyder Ryding, nothing beats the miles of smiles, front seat or back!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-19-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I have a cousin who has been riding as a pax with her m/c chaplain husband on a Harley for years and now for the past 3 or 4 years on a smaller touring bike (Suzuki?). They are now selling the current bike because she has arthritis in her spine, and any bump while riding causes pain that lasts for days. So, my question is: do any of you have experience as a passenger, or with a passenger, who has chronic back pain? How smooth and comfortable is an RT, or maybe a Ryker, for such a person? Since she is quite sensitive to bounces of the bike is riding as a pax on any Spyder feasible? They are both in their 70's.
    Everyone responds differently for many and varied reasons. Sounds like they need to take an RT on an extended test ride. As the old saying goes. The proof is in the pudding.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

My wife is WAY more comfortable on the wing than she was on the RT. Both have RDL seats. She has had severe back pain after an accident while riding her own bike ten years ago. I would recommend renting the spyder and put a few hundred or miles on it before buying. If I could have rented first I probably wouldn't have bought one. Good machine but not for us .

Spyder Garage

My gal much prefers our 18 rtl. She has scoliosis and does fine all day. I need a break more often than her!

Spyder Garage

The wife is more comfortable on the RT than on the wing .We just got back from a 2000 KM ride in northern Quebec ,and she did fine .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Idaho,

I have a comment. I'll put it in the Off Topic section.

Spyder Garage

People with cronic pain need to try Carbon 60.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic