Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow, even rural roads aren't safe...

2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I see unsecured loads going down the road all the time. I haven't seen a farmer throw a strap on his hay bales or chain down equipment on a trailer for quite a while. If I did that as a professional driver, I'd be stopped in a heartbeat. Unsafe is unsafe, no matter who you are, in daylight or darkness. Give them plenty of room, just in case.
    Coke
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Same here in Utah in so far as hay bales are concerned. Always be alert, you just never know. Speaking of rural roads, Pete I was up in your neck of the woods yesterday with about 10 other riders, riding Wolf Creek Pass UT35. Great day for a ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The same thing happened to one of our previous members. He was a motorcycle cop, on duty when it happened. Obviously he survived but it banged him up.....big time.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I looked at several articles about this. None of them say whether he died from injuries from the impact or from injuries when he went into the median. If it was one of the big bales I think he would have been stopped dead by the bale and thrown off his Spyder. But the article says he lost control and went into the median which makes me think it was a small bale, or the big bale broke apart. Would be nice to have more details, particularly what were the injuries that did him in.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would also like to know if the farmer was ticketed. Around here, I've seen some farmers (I'm not lumping all farmers together, but far too many are guilty) do stuff that would get a professional truck driver in enough trouble to lose his license permanently! Farmers are not the only ones guilty of poor or outright illegal practices when it comes to hauling stuff or operating equipment on our roads.

Just last Saturday, we were on our way to the state fair and about 15 miles from Springfield, a lady was driving an F150 with about five plastic folding tables stacked against the cab and going 55 MPH down the highway. We were following at what I thought was a safe distance behind with two guys on Harleys behind us, right on our tail.

The inevitable happened. One of the folding tables caught the wind just right and flew out of the truck and slid down the road in front of us. I slammed on the brakes hard because the table was airborne a lot longer than I dreamed it ever would be before landing on the road and beginning its skid.

Well, the riders behind us were pissed that I had slammed on my brakes and nearly hit us before getting their ***** together to fly around us. After receiving the obligatory dirty looks, sans sign language, they realized what the problem was and swerved around the still moving table and chased the lady down and proceeded to convey their displeasure at her mindless act of transporting the tables without being tied down in any way and probably not giving another thought to the danger they had put themselves in by following so close to us.

If they had been behind her as close as they were to us, the outcome would have most likely been much more serious.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Sad News....

Well to be honest it happens on all roads. I do ryde more causiously on farmland areas for that very reason. Too many feel they are just going down the road a mile or two so why tie things down...What could happen...??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Three years ago I was riding north in Utah followed by my wife on our Goldwing and another couple following her on their Spyder. We were on a secondary road doing about 60. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw "something" air-born as a hay truck passed us going the opposite direction. A hay bail (small one) left the truck. It landed in our lane between my wife and the other couple. Upon landing, it exploded and the other couple safely rode through the mess of hay. There was zero time for any of us to react. Our angles were watching out for us..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Well to be honest it happens on all roads. I do ryde more causiously on farmland areas for that very reason. Too many feel they are just going down the road a mile or two so why tie things down...What could happen...??
    In states like Idaho where agriculture is a major part of the economy, and farmers exercise strong influence over the legislature, farmers are partially or totally exempt from many regulations, like tying down loads and covering loose material, that apply to commercial haulers.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sure hope he was arrested and placed in jail
    with no bail for driving with an unsecured load and
    causing the death of some one

Spyder Garage

DSC_9672-1024x683.jpg

This happened on our narrow road last year!!!
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    DSC_9672-1024x683.jpg

This happened on our narrow road last year!!!
    What in the hell was that! omg
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was on hwy 17 in north Myrtle Beach for mustang week. I was actually riding my M109 and one of the large inflatable tubes that are pulled behind boats went airborne and landed in front of me. My front wheel went over it, and the tube actually got caught underneath the bike and had my front wheel off the ground. I had absolutely no steering for over 50 years, until the tube finally burst from being slide down the road underneath the 800 pound bike, with a 250 pound rider. I wanted to chase after them, but I was too busy counting my blessings that I didn't wreck, after I pulled into a store parking lot.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

It was a cutter from one of these - maize (sweet corn) cutter - being transported on a truck and not held down correctly - luckily the driver got out alive - JUST!!!!images.jpg
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Hay bail trucks on the way back from Glacier National Park------- SWAYING too and frow and bales moving on the trailer. Fallen hay bales by the side of the road too. Thank goodness for the stage 1 ECU upgrade. Trucks are going 70 to 75 on 2 lane roads. The chipped pulled up to over 100 mph ( two up with full luggage) quickly and dispatched this road hazard.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear of the man losing his life and my condolences to his family and friends.

Road debris is always a problem no matter where you are. Farm country has different stuff then more urban areas. Road gators are a problem everywhere. In farm country this time of year there will be hay and straw bales, spilled manure, spilled grain and mud. Students are going back to school soon. So the roads will soon be covered in mattresses and other furniture. So be careful out there.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

We see hay bales being transported on a daily basis on road in front of our home. Both small square bales and the large round ones. In all cases, we have seen the loads fastened down. So far, no hay falling off trucks or bales being deposited on the road.

I always look at loads being transported. If they appear to be a threat, we try to avoid them.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-20-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I learn something every day here.....
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I just stay away from vehicles with dodgy loads. Either hang *way* back for plenty of reaction time, or, pass 'm up quick.

Spyder Garage

Living in rural Utah, I see and encounter farm loads, Lumber loads, livestock loads, cattle on the road, sheep on the road, goats running loose, Horses, Deer, Elk, Mountain Lions, Rabbits, etc. It keeps me alert all the time. I have had to dodge all of the above and so far been successful except for the deer that caved in the front of my car then got up and ran off and the one that the truck launched into the air,deer don't fly well. No damage to the truck. Oh and one dog I got with the Spyder that did about $3000.00 damage to the front end plastic. I hate the log trucks the most as they always look like they are going to topple over, even with those big chains around the loads. I am sorry for the fellow who was killed by a moments carelessness on the part of the hauler. Just cause you never lost anything before doesn't mean you wont. Be safe out there and keep your eyes open.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze