Thread: F3 Grill Filter

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Grill Filter

After spending 5 hours cleaning the gunk out of both radiators I added a screen and filter behind the grill. I was concerned that would create an air flow issue resulting in overheating. I chose thin floor duck filters to minimize the restrictive media.
    I can report that after 2300 miles on our Black Hills/Badlands trip. that no issue with overheating and the Spyder only showed 4 bars on the gage the whole trip.

Here is what the filter looks like after trying to take out all the bugs in South Dakota.

I also am switching to a $.99 furnace filter that is less restrictive. Called big Blue Filter from Menards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not use window screen. Similar to what I have on my truck to snap it in place then in winter put on the grill cover.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    After spending 5 hours cleaning the gunk out of both radiators I added a screen and filter behind the grill. I was concerned that would create an air flow issue resulting in overheating. I chose thin floor duck filters to minimize the restrictive media.
    I can report that after 2300 miles on our Black Hills/Badlands trip. that no issue with overheating and the Spyder only showed 4 bars on the gage the whole trip.

Here is what the filter looks like after trying to take out all the bugs in South Dakota.

I also am switching to a $.99 furnace filter that is less restrictive. Called big Blue Filter from Menards.
    Just a thought. You might want to look at the fiberglass(cut to fit) filter media. Very little restriction but will certainly block the stuff you need blocked. Home Depot/Lowes.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Why not use window screen. Similar to what I have on my truck to snap it in place then in winter put on the grill cover.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...eply&p=1467432

I wanted something that would catch the bug body parts that the screen would let through. My radiators were packed with that.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Just a thought. You might want to look at the fiberglass(cut to fit) filter media. Very little restriction but will certainly block the stuff you need blocked. Home Depot/Lowes.
    Menards carries the same, and the blue filter is made from that. Price wise it works out the same.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Nice idea! what do you use to keep it in place? Seems like the wind would blow it back in the cavity.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Nice idea! what do you use to keep it in place? Seems like the wind would blow it back in the cavity.
    I used aluminum angle for support and aluminum sheet that I enlarged the existing holes to 1/2".

I plan on doing this to my wife's 2018 F3L, but instead of the sheet I will string 19ga ss wire every 1/2 inch as this will provide less air restriction, but still keep the filter in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

How does it work in rain, particularly a gully washing shower?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    How does it work in rain, particularly a gully washing shower?
    Not an issue. The rain does't hurt the filter and passes right through. The rest is the same as stock.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you, that's why I asked. FWIW, when we moved into our new house 17 years ago the HVAC system had washable, reusable filters. I used them for awhile but switched to disposable ones that trapped finer particulate matter. Looking at one of the reusable ones it appears it would be ideal for use on an F3.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Here's a solution I posted in another thread regarding this topic.

Alright, Here's the finished result using the landscape fabric. You'd never know it wasn't factory unless I told you. Was thinking about getting another BRP stone guard and sandwiching the landscape fabric between the two to get all of the slight wrinkles out. It would look even more factory then.

Rode the bike for an hour in traffic etc., and the temp never rose more than half way on the temp gauge. I was even stopped in traffic for ten minutes idling and the fans kicked on for about 60 seconds and cut back off. This tells me that there is enough airflow and the cooling system is operating as it should be. The temp outside today was 72 degrees.

This stuff is tough too. It is designed to resist penetration, but allow water to get through, and it is easy to cut slits to allow the grille cleats to pass through where needed when mounting it up. It is almost paper thin, which makes it easy as pie to install. It will not get saturated in wet weather and the bugs can't get trapped in between the fibers like on a AC filter mesh. They should hose right off, negating the need to replace it every year. We'll see on that.

I did a video of the process here: https://youtu.be/cAb2eBKJpqI

Here's a link to the product. Good stuff. One roll should last you the life of your Spyder.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-B...-50/1001492362

Spyder Garage

Okay folks, so this past Friday the ambient temps got up to 86 degrees and I noticed my fans running after I came to a stop after just having been moving at 55 MPH. With that said, it looks like the landscape fabric is too restrictive. So, yesterday I removed it and replaced it with Polyester Pet Screen from Lowes. This works much better. I didn't hear my fans kick on at all today after 300 miles of riding. With that said, I would NOT recommend the landscape fabric. It sure was good at keeping the bugs from sticking to it though. It was worth shot. You never know unless you try.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpunk View Post
    Okay folks, so this past Friday the ambient temps got up to 86 degrees and I noticed my fans running after I came to a stop after just having been moving at 55 MPH. With that said, it looks like the landscape fabric is too restrictive. So, yesterday I removed it and replaced it with Polyester Pet Screen from Lowes. This works much better. I didn't hear my fans kick on at all today after 300 miles of riding. With that said, I would NOT recommend the landscape fabric. It sure was good at keeping the bugs from sticking to it though. It was worth shot. You never know unless you try.
    Maybe you should edit the initial post, delete the video?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    Maybe you should edit the initial post, delete the video?
    Just remember guys, substantially editing a post after it's been up for a while actually hurts the Forum and so is discouraged here!
    Altho an added note to say that it didn't work quite the way you initially expected isn't likely to be an issue.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!