Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RS Coolant Change

Getting ready to do some service on the Spyder. This will be my first time doing coolant service since I purchased it used. Any tips, tricks, caveats on the 998 coolant system? Thanks. Also, which coolant do you use... guessing anything aluminum friendly is okay!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Getting ready to do some service on the Spyder. This will be my first time doing coolant service since I purchased it used. Any tips, tricks, caveats on the 998 coolant system? Thanks. Also, which coolant do you use... guessing anything aluminum friendly is okay!
    Be aware that removing the radiator drain plug can be disastrous. Some from that era detached themselves from the radiator, which required removal and replacement or if out of warranty, repair. Because of this, most, remove the lower radiator hose to drain the system.

That said, after this happened to mine at the dealers, I stopped draining the system altogether. Instead, I evacuate the reservoir once a month and replenish with 32 ounces of "50/50 Prestone Yellow"(ENGINE COLD). To accelerate a full replacement in this manner, one could do it once a week or after every ride until they have for the most part introduced all fresh coolant. It's so much easier this way. And, if you have any doubt about how well it works, NAPA sells coolant test strips that will settle those fears.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

That sounds like a good plan... don't want to replace a radiator for sure! Thanks for the heads up!!

Spyder Garage

anyone using Engine Ice?
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUSASwede View Post
    anyone using Engine Ice?
    I have not...did use the Water Wetter on some motorcycles and did help some. If you do let us know...and lets see if someone here has use Ice....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    Be aware that removing the radiator drain plug can be disastrous. Some from that era detached themselves from the radiator, which required removal and replacement or if out of warranty, repair. Because of this, most, remove the lower radiator hose to drain the system.

That said, after this happened to mine at the dealers, I stopped draining the system altogether. Instead, I evacuate the reservoir once a month and replenish with 32 ounces of "50/50 Prestone Yellow" once a month. To accelerate a full replacement in this manner, one could do it once a week or after every ride until they have for the most part introduced all fresh coolant. It's so much easier this way. And, if you have any doubt about how well it works, NAPA sells coolant test strips that will settle those fears.
    I never thought about doing it that way.You just saved me a bunch of money Jeriatric. Thanks a bunch for the idea. Also did not know about the test strips at NAPA.They always come thru.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, DON't use the drain plug. You will be sorry you did.

Spyder Garage

I'm getting a coolant reservoir replaced this weekend cause its cracked. Should I ask the dealer about draining from lower hose instead of plug? I have a 2009 GS se5. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would probably suck the coolant down from the reservoir with a "sucker". That should get enough out to change the reservoir. But dealer is doing the work so they should know not to use the drain plug. If they do use it and it breaks the pressfit connection they'll just have to fix it. Should be no cost to you but will take more time to get your bike back.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for reply. I'd rather be safe and I'll ask. Its my only ride. Rather not have any longer down time

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I would probably suck the coolant down from the reservoir with a "sucker". That should get enough out to change the reservoir. But dealer is doing the work so they should know not to use the drain plug. If they do use it and it breaks the pressfit connection they'll just have to fix it. Should be no cost to you but will take more time to get your bike back.
    Good luck with that. The dealer will blame you for over-tightening it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUSASwede View Post
    anyone using Engine Ice?
    I am using this in my 2015 F3. My dealer recommended it as they use it in their racing bikes. Works good and it is comparable price wise to using the BRP product.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue