Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Hope the OP realizes we're only thinking of him and his passenger and not picking the installation apart.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Don't trust those bungee cords, especially the round ones. For absolute hold down security I suggest you use solid rope or chain tightened with turnbuckles. As others have said, a safety can made specifically for carrying fuel would be best.
    Suggestion...get a cheap battery box the right footprint...secure the battery box to the tongue...put gas can inside and strap it down with a battery tie-down strap.

A couple pieces of angle aluminum screwed to the sides of the tongue makes a very strong platform for the battery box.

Battery box on Lees-Ure Lite 3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sounds good......isn't always possible. (This was a previous post of mine here.)

Don't know how these get sorted in the posting list, as I didn't/don't see it directly under the posting I was responding to, so to clarify.....this was in response to the suggestion about "plan ahead and you don't have to worry about extra fuel".
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I don't remember who's machine it was but recently when their back tire let loose it did a ton of damage to the back end of the bike. I can imagine that's a possibility w/ the gas can behind the wheel there. Use your own judgement though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Don't trust those bungee cords, especially the round ones. For absolute hold down security I suggest you use solid rope or chain tightened with turnbuckles. As others have said, a safety can made specifically for carrying fuel would be best.
    thanks Idaho, already taken care of..
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Suggestion...get a cheap battery box the right footprint...secure the battery box to the tongue...put gas can inside and strap it down with a battery tie-down strap.

A couple pieces of angle aluminum screwed to the sides of the tongue makes a very strong platform for the battery box.

Battery box on Lees-Ure Lite 3.jpg
    UtahPete, Modified already with a "plastic" box around it, but I am always looking for a better one. Battery boxes I've seen would be significantly oversized for what I need. This is only a 1 gal. container that fits in a 5x7x8hi space. Thinking about a surplus ammo or military box, if size is right.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    UtahPete, Modified already with a "plastic" box around it, but I am always looking for a better one. Battery boxes I've seen would be significantly oversized for what I need. This is only a 1 gal. container that fits in a 5x7x8hi space. Thinking about a surplus ammo or military box, if size is right.
    They are significantly heavier...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    They are significantly heavier...
    Battery boxes aren't tall enough from what I see. I need minimum 12"h ix10"L x6"W
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Battery boxes aren't tall enough from what I see. I need minimum 12"h ix10"L x6"W
    You could make your own out of aluminum. Doesn't need a lid
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Ah, no. Please don't carry any extra gas. If you were to be rear ended or were to rear end someone else, that container of gas would (could rupture) and splash forward and ignite. Need I say more?
    This is where we would carry extra fuel on sleds back in the late 90's thru the late 00's, the tank plumbed into the gas tank vent line thus sucking the Tour Buddy fuel first, the company that made them was called Tour Buddy.

I suppose there was risk if you piled into a tree, but then again there was all kinds of risk sledding in no-mans land when the fuel stops were over 100 miles apart.

204022d1307324019-extra-fuel-storage-98arcticcatthundercatsideopen.jpg
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Couple using the lockable roropax system shared here while backIMG_4648.JPGIMG_0948.JPG

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Couple using the lockable roropax system shared here while backIMG_4648.JPGIMG_0948.JPG
    This is very similar to mine. It works well.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    For safety concerns this would cost a lot more initially but if the big 'IF' ever happened the chance of fire would diminish drastically.

https://www.msrgear.com/msr-fuel-bottles

Safety first.
    I have been looking in to one of those for my 2010 yamaha Vmax. That bike only has a 100 mile range. I have had no problems so far, I just fill up any time I come across a gas station once I have about 50 or more miles on a tank. But it would be nice to have that extra 20 oz, just in case.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

After touring on our Spyders for the last 6 years and logging over 80K, We stopped packing fuel as we never used it for ourselves, only other riders. This year we did a Coast to Coast and back trip that lasted 11,000 miles taking all back roads. I never felt were going to run out of fuel even in the western states, we just make sure we fill up at the first station we see after we get to about 1/2 tank, when we had the 998s I carried fuel but never used it then but did get very low several times. The only issue we had carrying fuel was keeping it from being stolen twice. I never worried about crashing and fire,and I won’t say it would not happen,but almost does in every movie you see on TV The battery box is a very good way for secondary protection and security.721274FA-C9A7-45D0-84EB-1F0416347595.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I willl get one of these, made for motorcycle carry
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...orage-transfer
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    I willl get one of these, made for motorcycle carry
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...orage-transfer
    They all need a mounting solution though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you really, really must carry extra gas, I'd go with the bladder from revzilla and place it in a commercial flight data recorder box and mount it to the outside of your trailer somewhere.

Spyder Garage

Default Update on reserve gas can mounting for our 2014 RTL

Following up on a prior post of mine showing the possible installation of a small bookshelf plastic "crate", on the tongue of our trailer to hold a reserve 1 gal. gas can.
    My "original" idea was to mount an army surplus ammo box on the tongue, but didn't have one close by.

After completing the original install, I stopped at a few "Surplus" stores out here, and came up with a "perfect size" ammo can. Attached pics show the results. Recently finished a 700 mile trip with the gas can full and experienced "0" indication of any weeping of gas in the box.

20190903_111420.jpg
    20190903_111326.jpg
    20190824_092836.jpg
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Excellent idea! What else did you fit inside that can. Looks like a standard 50 cal ammo can with inside dimensions are 11''L x 5 1/2''W x 7''D.
    I know they also sell 30 cal and 40mm surplus ammo cans pretty regular, but the standard 50 cal (5.56 ball) is used for many, many extra containers.
    Now I think there's also a "Fat Fifty" or SAW surplus ammo can that's longer, wider and taller, inside dimensions are 11.9" x 6.75" x 8.2"
    By the way there is a lock kit that can be installed in the ammo can that a common key type padlock can be slipped through.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Following up on a prior post of mine showing the possible installation of a small bookshelf plastic "crate", on the tongue of our trailer to hold a reserve 1 gal. gas can.
    My "original" idea was to mount an army surplus ammo box on the tongue, but didn't have one close by.

After completing the original install, I stopped at a few "Surplus" stores out here, and came up with a "perfect size" ammo can. Attached pics show the results. Recently finished a 700 mile trip with the gas can full and experienced "0" indication of any weeping of gas in the box.
    Great work and really looks the part!

Did you need to add any breather holes to clear any odour or vapour?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2019 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Great work and really looks the part!

Did you need to add any breather holes to clear any odour or vapour?
    Not yet. Even in high temps on our latest trip, when I opened the lid at "stops along the way", I saw NO indication that venting would help clear anything. I intend to keep an eye & nose on it though.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Excellent idea! What else did you fit inside that can. Looks like a standard 50 cal ammo can with inside dimensions are 11''L x 5 1/2''W x 7''D.
    I know they also sell 30 cal and 40mm surplus ammo cans pretty regular, but the standard 50 cal (5.56 ball) is used for many, many extra containers.
    Now I think there's also a "Fat Fifty" or SAW surplus ammo can that's longer, wider and taller, inside dimensions are 11.9" x 6.75" x 8.2"
    By the way there is a lock kit that can be installed in the ammo can that a common key type padlock can be slipped through.
    Inside the can I also have a funnel, the original spout parts that came with the gas can (I added a "plain" top cap on the can to reduce overall height in the ammo box) , and some paper shop towels.
    The ammo box description can't be read under the black paint, but it measures on the outside, 12" long, 6.5" wide, and 8.375 hi.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20190903_111420.jpg
    20190903_111326.jpg
    20190824_092836.jpg
    Much better, that looks fairly crash proof.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    For safety concerns this would cost a lot more initially but if the big 'IF' ever happened the chance of fire would diminish drastically.

https://www.msrgear.com/msr-fuel-bottles

Safety first.
    I use the MSR bottle on occasion. I have the 998 and range is not great. Generally not a concern out east until you get a bit north and in unfamiliar araas. Never had to actually use it...but a bit of insurance/piece of mind.
    2012 RT-SE5