Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about spare fuel container location

OK, read all I could find in past posts but would like to hear (read) current inputs about a possible location for a 1 gallon heavy duty plastic gas can.
    If you have a small trailer (OK, like the one I posted pics on recently) and put a 1 gallon container inside it (say, packed in soft foam wrapping), how much "shaking and (internal) splashing" would you expect on most rides and roads?
    Not having one before, and not having a "Go-PRO" to film it I'm trying to get a feel for how much shaking do you actually get routinely inside these little trailers that are attached to the swing arm hitch and have no road shock suppression except for their springs.
    In most minds is this enough to label the carrying of this container and gas this way DANGEROUS and DON"T DO?
    Even in our short time (going on 5 years) with the Spyder, we have been on trips where, without warning anywhere, it was over 100 miles more without any services or gas. For most cars/trucks that's obviously not a concern, but YES we were anxious all the way.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

My only question is WHY? In this day and age and with cell phones, tablet/mini-laptops and some adherence to the 6Ps, unless you're in the wilds of Alaska or Canada the 1330 ACE engine Spyders have the range to avoid getting yourself in a crack fuel-wise. While I don't now and probably won't ever have a trailer, I still don't want gas anywhere but in my Spyder fuel tank.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you think about it, we have gallons of gas right between our legs. Enough said. cueman

Spyder Garage

I have carried gas in different containers in the trailer that i pull behind my Spyder, generally without incident, BUT, i did have a sealed container top come off the gas can on my way back from Deadwood South Dakota and did not realize it until i pulled in my driveway and opened the trailer, everything was lightly soaked in gasoline, why did it not ignite??? I will never do that again.

At one point i used a heavy duty container that sat on the trailer tongue, i drilled a very tiny hole in the cap to prevent any fumes from expanding, but not sure i would do that again unless extremely necessary.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I believe you have a trailer. I mounted this to the side of the tongue of the trailer. I also ran out of gas in eastern Nevada one year, gas stations, if not entire towns were closed.

gas can.JPG

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

We drove in AK for almost 20 years. When riding in the outback, fill when you see it at every opportunity in unfamiliar territory. Unless you are driving the haul roads way up North, which I did not recommend, we never ran out of gas on the road. With the 200 mile plus range on the 1330's...I do not consider it a problem.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    OK, read all I could find in past posts but would like to hear (read) current inputs about a possible location for a 1 gallon heavy duty plastic gas can.
    If you have a small trailer (OK, like the one I posted pics on recently) and put a 1 gallon container inside it (say, packed in soft foam wrapping), how much "shaking and (internal) splashing" would you expect on most rides and roads?
    Not having one before, and not having a "Go-PRO" to film it I'm trying to get a feel for how much shaking do you actually get routinely inside these little trailers that are attached to the swing arm hitch and have no road shock suppression except for their springs.
    In most minds is this enough to label the carrying of this container and gas this way DANGEROUS and DON"T DO?
    Even in our short time (going on 5 years) with the Spyder, we have been on trips where, without warning anywhere, it was over 100 miles more without any services or gas. For most cars/trucks that's obviously not a concern, but YES we were anxious all the way.
    Ray, there's too much bouncing I think in that trailer, which is why I tried softening the ride with the bigger tires. I've always carried the 1 gallon spare can in the left saddlebag
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I believe you have a trailer. I mounted this to the side of the tongue of the trailer. I also ran out of gas in eastern Nevada one year, gas stations, if not entire towns were closed.

gas can.JPG

Ray
    I'd feel safe carrying the spare gas can on the trailer tongue, instead of a cooler. Less bouncing plus any leaks or spills are safely outside the trailer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Every time we stop I DO open the air valve just to release the pressure. But I used this last year on a 9000kms trip, worked great. Well, actually, I didn't NEED to use it on the trip, but was very glad it was there..

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm frugal ( as opposed to cheap ) … I have no need for that much gas as a back-up …. however I do carry 750ml of gas in a former Tequila bottle …. it gives me 12-15 miles to find gas. …. Liquor bottles don't leak, they are designed to hold alcohol without SEAL failure … I have considered up-grading to the 1.75 lit. size …. Burnett's Gin makes a dark green " Oval container ".... I torture tested the Tequila bottle and it never leaked nor even gave of any fumes ….. I only used it once for me ( testing the empty tank thing ) , but I have provided gas for others stranded without gas ….. Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I don’t carry gas and I frequently travel roads where it is 150 miles between stations. Rode to AK and didn’t carry gas. I check my route be leaving so I know where I will be able to find gas, sometimes you have to fill up early so you can make it to the next station. A little planning and you will be fine and your stuff won’t stink of gasoline.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Never miss the chance to pee or get gas....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To carry spare gas or not is a personal choice. Ray chooses to, as do I and many others.

Let's hear from those who do carry spare gas with them, for whatever reason. He is asking for solutions, not skepticism.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

When I have carried spare gas it has been on the top rack of the Bushtec trailer. I wasn't sure if there would be gas at Denio Junction on hwy 140 in Oregon. Didn't need it so I left the can at a station for somebody else.

Spyder Garage

Default Pics of 1 gal gas can on trailer tongue

Finally decided to stop overthinking the problem and (using what I could find in my workshop at home) just do what some others had done.
    Nothing unusual, but for anyone interested, today I posted in "albums" 5 pics taken yesterday, of my solution for holding a 1 gal gas can on the tongue of our HF trailer.
    There is also a 1/4" layer of vibration dampening material (as used by some to dampen vibration and shaking of washers/dryers/etc) between the aluminum plate and the tongue.
    Just FYI.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

...………… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ah, no. Please don't carry any extra gas. If you were to be rear ended or were to rear end someone else, that container of gas would (could rupture) and splash forward and ignite. Need I say more?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Ah, no. Please don't carry any extra gas. If you were to be rear ended or were to rear end someone else, that container of gas would (could rupture) and splash forward and ignite. Need I say more?
    Question have you added a safety " BLADDER " in your gas tank ????? ……….. if not that can explode in a collision also ….. just a thought …..good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

For safety concerns this would cost a lot more initially but if the big 'IF' ever happened the chance of fire would diminish drastically.

https://www.msrgear.com/msr-fuel-bottles

Safety first.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Another risk equation...for those who may want that extra measure of safety, I recommend these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Eagle gas can.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    For safety concerns this would cost a lot more initially but if the big 'IF' ever happened the chance of fire would diminish drastically.

https://www.msrgear.com/msr-fuel-bottles

Safety first.
    I've used those, but they're a bugger to fill at a station pump.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I've used those, but they're a bugger to fill at a station pump.
    Same here. So, I wait until I can use an appropriate container(some stations have loaners) for use at the pump, then use the funnel I cary for topping off oil, to fill the bottles. A bit of a pain but, safety is first on my mind.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A nice lady on here a wile back advised to plan or preplan your trip and fuel stops so you don't have to carry extra gas. Good advise.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Finally decided to stop overthinking the problem and (using what I could find in my workshop at home) just do what some others had done.
    Nothing unusual, but for anyone interested, today I posted in "albums" 5 pics taken yesterday, of my solution for holding a 1 gal gas can on the tongue of our HF trailer.
    There is also a 1/4" layer of vibration dampening material (as used by some to dampen vibration and shaking of washers/dryers/etc) between the aluminum plate and the tongue.
    Just FYI.
    Don't trust those bungee cords, especially the round ones. For absolute hold down security I suggest you use solid rope or chain tightened with turnbuckles. As others have said, a safety can made specifically for carrying fuel would be best.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)