Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire cost info for anyone that wants to know

Went to my garage and found my rear tire flat with a screw in it. 2015 Spyder F3. Tire was the original stock tire and had 14,333 miles on it. Dealer said he wouldn't plug it and said he would only replace it. I plugged it myself to get to the dealer, but didn't trust it for the long haul. $189.99 cost of Kenda tire, $60.00 labor, $2.00 tire balance, $2.00 tire disposal, $18.75 tax (Leon County, FL), $272.74 total. BTW, Dealer has a sign posted at the shop that they only install tires purchased at the dealer.

This post was not meant to complain about the cost or my dealer. I was only providing information for those that didn't have that expense yet. Plus, I think it's important to support your local business and local Spyder dealer when you can. Otherwise, they go away.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Default Hang in there....

Know you can do better and there are a ton from florida here that will get you the information and location to get the job done. Seems the labor and other add ons are good price if on the spyder sadly there are those that will not do tries not recommended for motorcycles or sold at thier shop....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry. It appears they had an extra screw to use on you.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Find a dealer that will install an auto tire that you bring them or learn to remove the rear wheel yourself. Then take it to an auto shop that will remove the old tire and mount the new one. You will save a lot of money either way.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Find a dealer that will install an auto tire that you bring them or learn to remove the rear wheel yourself. Then take it to an auto shop that will remove the old tire and mount the new one. You will save a lot of money either way.
    …. any decent auto tire will get you at least DOUBLE that mileage ...…….. plus auto tires are far safer,.... imho ….good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Another dealer just like the one I had in Alaska. Find another...at least you have that option.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Spyders and motorcycles in general are an expensive hobby. I have the Altimax and Federals on my bike. I bought all three for less than $180 and installed myself. My dealer will install whatever tires you bring him. He says a dollar is a dollar and he won't turn away a paying customer over a tire sale. Pays to call around some times.
    2015 RT , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

What is the issue here? Yes, the Kenda tires are expensive and crap but the dealer treated you pretty good on labor and other fees. We charge more than that to install a rear tire. Dealers are in business to make money, not to give stuff away for free.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

14K on a Kenda is great. Mine showed cord at 11K. Don't know how handy you are but changing a rear tire is relatively easy. But, you need specific tools to do it. 36mm socket or wrench. >floor jack<. one thing to note, for caliper removal you can shut off the bike with the parking brake NOT engaged and in 30 seconds, the beeper will stop. I bought the jack, torque wrench, socket and wrenches for less than it cost to pay a dealer fee. But I've been wrenching for 60 years and even ran a parts house with my own custom parts. My dealer would not mount anything but the Kenda bought from them of course. I found a >Power Sports House< that mounted it for cheap in SC. YMM

>36mm socket which works with the oil filter too<

>1/2 inch torque wrench / breaker bar<

>36mm box/open end wrench<

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

No issue and no complaint for me here. I was just providing information for anyone who wanted to know the cost of a rear tire and its installation.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    14K on a Kenda is great. Mine showed cord at 11K. Don't know how handy you are but changing a rear tire is relatively easy. But, you need specific tools to do it. 36mm socket or wrench. >floor jack<. one thing to note, for caliper removal you can shut off the bike with the parking brake NOT engaged and in 30 seconds, the beeper will stop. I bought the jack, torque wrench, socket and wrenches for less than it cost to pay a dealer fee. But I've been wrenching for 60 years and even ran a parts house with my own custom parts. My dealer would not mount anything but the Kenda bought from them of course. I found a >Power Sports House< that mounted it for cheap in SC. YMM

>36mm socket which works with the oil filter too<

>1/2 inch torque wrench / breaker bar<

>36mm box/open end wrench<

I did watch that video. But it was easier for me to whip out Visa.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

I think the price you paid was about right. What the dealer saved you in low labor costs were made up by overcharging you for the tire. It all evened out. (Except a lot of dealers will overcharge for both labor and tire cost). As others have said, you can do better and get a lot better tire by finding a better dealer or learning to DIY..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi