Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

In answer to the original question. I carry on my person unless I am going to an area that doesn't allow it.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have a question, and it's not about whether to carry or not to carry.

When would you actually draw your weapon? This is for those that actually carry. I was going to present different scenarios, but decided to keep the post short. If you're going to say when you feel threatened, can you be more specific?
    So how many of you if any have pulled your gun on someone and used it in self defense?

I have had a CCW for 39 years and only actually carried few times when carrying large amounts of cash.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Always be aware of your surroundings at all times. Try not to place yourself (or your family) in a position where you have limited movement and cannot exit your position quickly to seek cover or concealment from a threat or danger. If at all possible be perceptive and simply exit stage left to avoid confrontation. Once you've chosen to use deadly force, you can never take it back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Always be aware of your surroundings at all times. Try not to place yourself (or your family) in a position where you have limited movement and cannot exit your position quickly to seek cover or concealment from a threat or danger. If at all possible be perceptive and simply exit stage left to avoid confrontation. Once you've chosen to use deadly force, you can never take it back.
    I dunno. It seems like you must have lost all enjoyment & spontaneity in your life if you have to spend it as though on an army patrol in hostile territory. So sad.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No Mr. Goat, not sad but glad. There are sad stories everyday in every newspaper across the country were folks have willingly or unwillingly placed themselves in harms way and suffered life changing results. We all have the ability to make choices. Not all of us make them wisely sad to say. Just from your moniker I'm guessing you've done a pretty good job yourself, keep up the good work.

Spyder Garage

Reminder--see post #19.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I carry, but hope I never ever have to use the gun. I think most of us who carry are of that same mindset. Evil will always be around us. That is just the way of this world. If the situation should present itself to defend my life or others, I will be in a position that allows me to protect life. It is a big responsibility and not one to be taken lightly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Okay, here is my CCW adventure. There is a bicycle path along our local floodwall. This path winds around the town and sections are in a wooded area. This is a great place to ride a bicycle or to take a walk and very rarely will you go there without seeing other folks. This was on early Sunday morning and there were no other folks on the path that morning. I was walking as usual and I noticed a man keeping track of me, but also trying to remain out of my site. As I approached an isolated section he approached me and was pulling a knife from his pocket. I drew my weapon and while keeping it pointed to the ground I told him to not come any closer. He stopped and informed me wasn't afraid of my gun and I should just shoot him. That didn't sound like something a rational person would say so I told him to drop the knife and no one would get hurt today. He dropped the knife and started telling me about a woman he liked, but who wouldn't speak to him. He asked me to call her for him and at this point I knew he wasn't any where near rational in his thinking. I ask him the number and called the police instead. All of this time I had my weapon ready, but pointed at the ground and wouldn't allow him to approach me. Police came and the story was the guy had been stalking this woman and had got busted for it. He was also on medication which he frequently wouldn't take. The man never came closer after I told him to stop. The man dropped the knife when I told him to. I thank God that I never had to do more than show the firearm because taking a persons life is something you will live with for the rest of your life. Make no mistake, if he would have came at me with the knife I would have fired on him. I was lucky in that this didn't happen in a split second and I had time to think and assess the situation rather than shoot. You don't always have this luxury. The police of course interviewed me at length and explained that the guy was on meds and told me about the stalking. I told them I was thankful I did not have to shoot, but I would have if he had approached me. Officer said I would have been well within my rights to defend myself because of the knife. I have a CCW, I often carry and I hope I never have to use deadly force against another human. However I will defend myself and my family.
    In all my years of reading these CCW posts, yours, is the first "I had to" that I recall ever reading.

Glad it all worked out!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    No Mr. Goat, not sad but glad. There are sad stories everyday in every newspaper across the country were folks have willingly or unwillingly placed themselves in harms way and suffered life changing results. We all have the ability to make choices. Not all of us make them wisely sad to say. Just from your moniker I'm guessing you've done a pretty good job yourself, keep up the good work.
    I think it's great that we can exercise our freedom of choice. I don't fault those who choose to 'carry' responsibly, concealed or otherwise (although I'd prefer it be concealed)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My brother in law was the first person shot in the McDonalds massacre in 1983 he lived by pretending to be dead for 2 hours but it changed the way my wife has lived her entire life and my vigilance in our daily lives has allowed her to relax and enjoy doing things in public situations. Something that eluded her until about 15 years ago. So sad as it may seem to some i am always watching doors, keeping in mind ways to quickly exit a building putting myself and my family in a position that gives us a chance to react to a worst case scenario. It has gotten to point where it is not even something we think about just how we naturally do things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dklehman View Post
    My brother in law was the first person shot in the McDonalds massacre in 1983 he lived by pretending to be dead for 2 hours but it changed the way my wife has lived her entire life and my vigilance in our daily lives has allowed her to relax and enjoy doing things in public situations. Something that eluded her until about 15 years ago. So sad as it may seem to some i am always watching doors, keeping in mind ways to quickly exit a building putting myself and my family in a position that gives us a chance to react to a worst case scenario. It has gotten to point where it is not even something we think about just how we naturally do things.
    As it is for any combat veteran.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    So how many of you if any have pulled your gun on someone and used it in self defense?

I have had a CCW for 39 years and only actually carried few times when carrying large amounts of cash.

Jack
    Jack---I've carried that spare tire for over 50 yrs. If i needed it--it might be a life saver--depending on the area that it's needed. Remember the song from the 60's---it's a strange-strange world we live in master Jack? & it appears to be getting stranger. If one is uncomfortable carrying a firearm--Don't Carry One. But if you believe the 2nd Amendment is your right, then exercising that right is nobody's business but their own.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    As it is for any combat veteran.
    True...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I dunno. It seems like you must have lost all enjoyment & spontaneity in your life if you have to spend it as though on an army patrol in hostile territory. So sad.
    Ask a corrections officer in a prison how they act outside of work?
    My friend put in 20 years and he was changed for life "Always be aware of your surroundings at all times. Try not to place yourself (or your family) in a position where you have limited movement and cannot exit your position quickly" The prison trains you this way and he does not own a gun, But he could take me down in a sec before I knew what was happening.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    The important thing is "if you have it when you need it! Don't go looking for trouble just because you carry.
    My thoughts!!

Spyder Garage

When I carry on Spyder it is at the 4:30 position IWB.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I carry my P365 in my Sticky Holster. Don't even know it is there and when I am off the bike it doesn't leave a foot print so that others can't see it either.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

California > Concealed or Open carry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't believe concealed carry, and especially open carry, are necessary. But if you insist on doing it all I ask is you be mindful of all those around you and participate in vigorous gun use and safety training equal to what law enforcement officers go through. An LE spoke to our church some time ago about safety. She said you need to be so well trained that you use the weapon instinctively. That requires refresher training every few weeks or months, just as the LE folks do. When you are in a panic or crisis situation you dare not plan on being able to think rationally and quickly. The human mind isn't created that way.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriatric View Post
    In all my years of reading these CCW posts, yours, is the first "I had to" that I recall ever reading.

Glad it all worked out!
    I actually was carrying because there had been folks with their dogs harassed by a group of coyotes at the floodwall. The problem with urban coyotes is they have lost their fear of people and will come after the smaller pets. I didn't have a small dog with me, but I wasn't about to be treed by coyotes either. The coyotes were eventually all trapped and removed from their city home. I don't carry often in our small town and really have no fear here, but I want the option to protect mine when away from home or when strolling through urban coyote country.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I believe a rough translation to this song is: "love faith and peace be amongst us all."

It's a great thought, but when people all over the world are trying to kill each other with trucks, knives, bombs, guns, and whatever they can get their hands on, it becomes a great wish. It has become a world wide mindset that violence is the new cure for people that don't believe the way others think they should. This new age of violence has several roots; religion, nationalities, race, class, culture, etc. We have lost our humanity.

I'm on the side of those that just want to live our lives and tolerate others. I also believe that you must be able to defend yourself and you have a right to do it. You cannot count on the authorities to always do it for you. There's an old saying I learned as a police officer, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." I always conceal carry.
    And of course all those guns you have in the US have done wonders in lowering the number of deaths.

As someone one who has seen more than enough violence in my 50 years, most recently being within two metres of the Christchurch shooter, I see no need for them.

So time for me to leave SpyderLovers, I'd rather ride in peace than read this stuff.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I carry a spare tire & I can't remember the last time I needed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Interesting analogy.
    Spare tire that safety card however

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I don't believe concealed carry, and especially open carry, are necessary. But if you insist on doing it all I ask is you be mindful of all those around you and participate in vigorous gun use and safety training equal to what law enforcement officers go through. An LE spoke to our church some time ago about safety. She said you need to be so well trained that you use the weapon instinctively. That requires refresher training every few weeks or months, just as the LE folks do. When you are in a panic or crisis situation you dare not plan on being able to think rationally and quickly. The human mind isn't created that way.
    This view is a bit off base for me. Most shootings are at very close range and even an untrained person can point a pistol at 6 feet and shoot to save their life. Consider this. YOU, Your child, relative for close friend is standing in a situation with a gun in their face. Next to them is a dead person just shot by this offender. Then by a miracle as conceal carry person ends this situation. I think any victim would have little concern about how accurate I shoot and other possible collateral damage my missing might have. But make no mistake, if I responded to that situation with my conceal carry, my personal freedom would be in real trouble. If I don't loose my freedom, I would have to be on guard the rest of my life from retaliation from friends and family of this offender that I cripple or kill.
    I have carried my gun for 7 years and not one person except a very select few have even the slightest clue. I envision standing in a a place of business with some young worker who is SOMEBODY's son or daughter, facing grave danger that they didn't sing up for. In that situation, without hesitation, I will place my FREEDOM on the line to save that person. It would be an honor if I did that service for you one day and it would help put a face on the picture of what the real conceal carry person is. I challenge ANYONE to look at the statistics of crimes committed by conceal carry persons or even collateral damage from lack of weekly training to use the weapon.
    D3ennis

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    As an NRA instructor, may I give an observation?

Most LE folks do not train more than twice a year after the academy. Most are not "gun people" and only shoot/practice enough to qualify for the next year. I have personally witnessed LE training, and I used it as a teaching tool with my students as how NOT to handle firearms. Rounds in the ceiling, sweeping one another. Don't confuse wearing the uniform with firearm knowledge.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    And of course all those guns you have in the US have done wonders in lowering the number of deaths.

As someone one who has seen more than enough violence in my 50 years, most recently being within two metres of the Christchurch shooter, I see no need for them.

So time for me to leave SpyderLovers, I'd rather ride in peace than read this stuff.
    To bad---- Your contributions to the site have been worthwhile and interesting.

Please don't be run off by those of us who would rather " be judged by 12 than be carried by 6. "
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow