Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Tire change, belt and muffler/exhaust Question

Concerning my 2014 ST-S

Does the muffler need to be removed when changing the rear tire?

I had my tire changed. Service center has been nothing but problems. I have had to take the bike back three times due to something they did wrong such as gouging the rim trying to fix separate the calipers because they locked them up while removing the tire...and breaking the brake calipers the 2nd time they had to remove the wheel, etc. so they had to replace the rotors.

I got it back Thursday. Rode it for a bit yesterday just to make sure of things.

I noticed it was making a much higher pitched noise out of the muffler. Also the bike seems to ride harder, meaning it feels and sounds if I am in 4th gear when at 70mph even though I'm in 5th gear.

I was supposed to go on a ride today all day. Before we left, we had lunch and a friend said the reason for the sound is because the muffler is no longer attached. You can pull it apart. And the belt is not near enough over towards the sprocket and there should be a credit card width between the inside sprocket and belt. The belt is actually a small width hanging off of the outside of the sprocket.

Here's what I am talking about:
    20190817_160154_altered.jpg 20190817_160214_altered.jpg 20190817_160242_altered.jpg 20190817_160331_altered.jpg

Service manager just told me they did not do anything with the muffler when changing the tire, so that is not their fault. And the belt might need some sort of special adjustment...why did they not do that when in there.

I do not feel safe because of the belt and the fact I don't know what else could be wrong. I can only see the obvious things.

All I wanted was a tire change and it's been nothing but a mess and hassle. It's basically a brand new bike minus father time due to the maintenance I have done to it...but by another service shop. This was a new place much closer.

Thanks all for letting me vent...any suggestions or am I just paranoid with less patience because of all the other issues with them...? And, I'm not naming names because I'm trying to give them the benefit of my bad doubt...again.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 08-17-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add photos
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!