Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nankang XR611 Rear 225/50R15 - fitted to RTL

Today was my 1st day with the Nankang XR-611. Some info that may be of use to someone.
    Size
    • 225/50 R15.

Bike
    • 2017 RT Ltd with Kendas still on the front

Journey
    • 300km with a mixture of highways, freeways, and city roads.
    • No additional Cargo, just an afternoon ride.
    • Rear Suspension set on Minimum (factory shocks)

Occupants
    • Two Up (me 90kg, pillion 55 kg)

Speedometer accuracy
    • Speedo now reads 4% lower than actual speed, down from from 3% with the Arachnid

Pressure
    • 26 PSI down from 28 with the Arachnid

Ride
    • I expected the stiffer construction of the tyre and sidewall to create a harsher ride which in some ways it did, but the heavier un-sprung weight (the tyre itself weighs 9.5 Kg) seems to counteract this. Even my pillion (Wife) noted the ride felt firmer but not harsh.

Handling General
    • The tyre does not track the irregularities in the road like the Kenda or Arachnid
    • Accelerating out of corners with a patchwork surface where the Kenda or Arachnid rear tyre would step out and skittle across the imperfections has gone.
    • No additional over-steer was experienced, nor under-steer for that matter.
    • The tyre feels much more confident on the road at higher speeds up to 130km/hr, and the Spyder itself is more confidence inspiring with the tyre.
    • Sidewall roll - an improvement on the Arachnid gievn the lower pressure. The bike feels quite direct when swerving to miss objects on the road
    • ABS - the back wheel appears to be able to share more of the breaking power when Hard stopping. In the place I like to test my cars and bikes the Kenda and Arachnid would skid, this did not happen with the Nankang
    • Because I still have Kendas on the front I haven't measured any difference in stopping distance. I will get a stopping distance reading before sending them to their rightful home - the waste management facility.

Wet Weather
    • Not tested, will report later

I have tried to communicate the types of things I would report when testing tyres on two wheels to my sponsor. I look forward to seeing and reporting what the tyre is like in the wet with things like grip, aquaplaning, braking and anything else I find. Hope it helps in your choice of tyre
    Disclaimer
    1. You might get very different results but, at least these can serve as a guide to your tyre selection.
    2. Coming off Kenda to the Arachnid felt a big improvement, so coming from the Arachnid to the Nankang seems ....... um .....um .... chalk vs cheese, poorly made beer vs masterfully crafted beer...
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very helpful feedback. Thank you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Oooh....

Thanks for the detailed information. And yet another tire to add to the list. Let us know how it works out down the road ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard the Vredestein is difficult to acquire 'down under' so maybe this will turn out to be a viable substitute for those folks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last night saw me able to test the Nankang in the wet. We are going thru one of our East Coast Low weather patterns which means cold wind and lots of rain.

Size
    225/50 R15.

Bike
    2017 RT Ltd with Kenda's still on the front

Journey
    • 170km with a mixture of Country back roads (read as "rough") and highways. I had traveled this road with a mixed group of Harley's, Adventure bikes, Triumph's and Classic Japanese Sports bikes in the same conditions during a day ride a few months ago and had a few "moments", this ride was a big contrast.
    • No additional Cargo, just a nice night ride.
    • Rear Suspension set on Maximum (factory shocks)

Occupants
    One Up (me 90kg)

Pressure
    26 PSI down from 28 with the Arachnid

Handling General
    • Aquaplaning - At times there were good volumes of water either flowing across the road, or laying in indentations on the road. While the fronts would aquaplane the Nankang did not. There were occasions where I would ready myself expecting the rear to "float away" but it didn't. This was good given that on some of the back roads the road surface was just a white lined black space in front and no way to determine where water was laying or flowing until you hear the sound of water spraying from the tyres.
    • Accelerating out of corners with a patchwork surface where the Kenda or Arachnid rear tyre would step out and skittle across the imperfections did not occur considering the conditions.
    • The RTL with the Nankang provides a high level of confidence in the wet, hard breaking saw the tyre contributing much more to stopping on the road at speeds up to 100km/hr in these conditions.
    • ABS - the front (Kenda's) loose grip far sooner than the rear in situations where the ABS cuts in, allowing the rear to be able to share more of the breaking power when Hard stopping.

Wet Weather
    A massive improvement over the Arachnid, let alone the Kenda. The tyre just makes the RTL feel much more confident in dealing with poor conditions, and I found old habits of bracing myself in anticipation of a "underwear soiling moment" were unfounded.

The relationship between Nankang and Yokohama shows in the quality of this tyre, if only they made them for the front, don't worry though I am adding to my Xmas gift list letter to Santa as soon as I am done here.
    Last edited by askitee; 08-30-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: bullet points for readability
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I also have the Nankang XR611 on my RT Ltd here in the UK, and found great grip in wet and dry conditions. I also have Nankangs on the front. I have recently fitted a new XR611 on the rear to replace the worn out XR611 that had done only just under 10,000 British miles (are they still different in the US.). The wear was pretty even over the surface and I used only 18 psi. How did you decide on 26 psi.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    I also have the Nankang XR611 on my RT Ltd here in the UK, and found great grip in wet and dry conditions. I also have Nankangs on the front. I have recently fitted a new XR611 on the rear to replace the worn out XR611 that had done only just under 10,000 British miles (are they still different in the US.). The wear was pretty even over the surface and I used only 18 psi. How did you decide on 26 psi.
    I can't speak to the Traction factor ….. however if you only 10,000 UK miles, that's not even as good as the original Kenda's …. My Michelin Hydro- Edge got 40,000 ( great traction US mi. ) before I considered swapping for a new tire …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I can't speak to the Traction factor ….. however if you only 10,000 UK miles, that's not even as good as the original Kenda's …. My Michelin Hydro- Edge got 40,000 ( great traction US mi. ) before I considered swapping for a new tire …… Mike
    You're not familiar with UK roads, Kendas give about 8k here. But the low pressure would account for much of the low mileage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    You're not familiar with UK roads, Kendas give about 8k here. But the low pressure would account for much of the low mileage.
    Au contraire' my Dear, Au contraire' …………….. ...……….Mike

Spyder Garage

Au contrare' my Dear, Au contrare' …………….. ...……….Mike
    That'll be 'au contraire' I guess. But au contraire to what?
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Ha, I see PRP has beaten me to it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    That'll be 'au contraire' I guess. But au contraire to what?
    Thank you for the spelling correction, ( I corrected my post to reflect this ), French is / was, not high on my list of things to accomplish ……. " au contraire" to just about everything you were saying about tires...…. Mike

Spyder Garage

..." au contraire" to just about everything you were saying about tires...…. Mike
    It wasn't PRP it was me... everything, I recollect I only mentioned one thing.

Spyder Garage

I haven't been able to find any supplier for this size in the US. UK, yes. Down under, yes. US, no. Anyone have any info where to find that size in this country?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Hi Flier Tuck,

It was originally just a starting point, but has worked so well so far that I haven't moved off 26psi. I was looking for a balance between sway from sidewall flex vs not having the rear end jar me each time it encountered a pothole.

When I get to do a dry long distance run one up, I'll provide another report for those interested.

I haven't tried with my 622 trailer either yet, that happens in October.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I haven't been able to find any supplier for this size in the US. UK, yes. Down under, yes. US, no. Anyone have any info where to find that size in this country?
    https://nankangusa.com/

They have some other rubber that looks ok too
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    https://nankangusa.com/

They have some other rubber that looks ok too
    Looked up the website. In the 225/50 size, they only show 16", 17", & 18" rims.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Looked up the website. In the 225/50 size, they only show 16", 17", & 18" rims.
    Contact them via one of their contact channels and ask them why aren't they available in the USA. Ask others who may be interested to do the same, you just might find they bring some in to see how they trade.

Because I work for myself I do this often when a product isn't available her in Australia, 8 out of 10 times they say no, but its worth a try.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had time to test the Nankang in the dry and on long journeys. Sorry for those waiting..

Size
    225/50 R15.

Bike
    2017 RT Ltd with Kenda's still on the front

Occupants
    One Up (me 90kg) and at times two up ( wife 60kg)

Pressure
    26 PSI down from 28 with the Arachnid

Handling General
    The tyre has been excellent in all situations. The increased grip and stability certainly make a difference to the way the bike handles in the rear end, plus overall.
    I had the bike in for a service and rode home on a 160km stretch of road favored by the boy racers (hot mix winding road) . The tyre seems to allow the rear end to contribute more to hard braking and is more stable accelerating out of corners something that would see the rear chatter and step out.

One very interesting thing - the drive belt harmonics have changed too. On the freeway my RTL would vibrate at around 118 to 125km/hr and I'd increase the rear ride height to lessen it. The vibration at those speeds and above has now almost gone - I can only assume that the poor quality Kenda's/Arachnids contribute more to the rear end vibration than I 1st thought. Picture in your own mind the swing arm bouncing in response to a slightly out of round tyre, this being transmitted through to the drive belt which is longer than some Hawaiian highways and it starts to make sense.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

G'day Askitee

Good review of the Nankang, thanks

Seeing the rear Kendra on my 14RT (10K km) is down to the wear marks, I decided that the Nankang will be good for me.

Not available till the end of November. Bugger.

Off to a rally in 10 days and looking like I will be coming home on a slick.

As much as we need the rain up here in Qld, I don't look forward to coming home in the rain.

Cheers and beers
    Frank

Spyder Garage

Hi All, been talking about this on otherer treads, Rear kenda shot after 7000km and wanted to go to a car tire, went to the BRP and asked if they would fit them, no! was the answer but they offered me the Nankang xr-611 as a suitable replacement for the Kenda [all my checking revealed that its simply a car tire like any other] so why am i able to fit that and not another brand, got me stuffed!

Anyway it's ordered and on its way so i was delighted to find your review Askiitee and look forward to trying them, $300 AUD sound right? AB

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Hi All, been talking about this on otherer treads, Rear kenda shot after 7000km and wanted to go to a car tire, went to the BRP and asked if they would fit them, no! was the answer but they offered me the Nankang xr-611 as a suitable replacement for the Kenda [all my checking revealed that its simply a car tire like any other] so why am i able to fit that and not another brand, got me stuffed!

Anyway it's ordered and on its way so i was delighted to find your review Askiitee and look forward to trying them, $300 AUD sound right? AB
    Here downunder they seem to range $165-$200.

Great news that my effort has helped. Eager to hear your results
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Here downunder they seem to range $165-$200.

Great news that my effort has helped. Eager to hear your results
    Thanks for the great reviews, settled my mind about picking this tire, although i had very little choice. $300 plus 1hr fitting, this is Tassie remember, Bass Strait is one of the most expensive stretches of water in the world. Still happy to pay for what seems a reasonable tire.

I notice you said your still running front Kendas, just waiting for them to wear? can we get the nankangs in the right size for the fronts?

Please keep the reviews coming askites, Anyone else had experience with this tire?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Airborne,

Yes I have fitted the Nankangs to the front and they have been great. Geez about the price - they come across 1st class seat with Qantas?
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

For those who have/had the Nankangs are you still happy with them?

For the front were you able to source 165x55x15 in Nankang?

I would like to ditch the front Kendas especially at this stage as they are the easiest to remove from the bike for fitting.

Did you consider Achilles ATR-K Economist? Went to a local tyre shop and they said Achilles would be worse than the Kendas, hard to believe after reading so much on here.

Thanks
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac